AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in hearing any opinions on this speaker and how it might compare to both the ACI Sapphire and Onix Reference 1. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WilliamJay
I am interested in hearing any opinions on this speaker and how it might compare to both the ACI Sapphire and Onix Reference 1. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
Actually it didnt compare well to the original Sapphire's

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/t...tics_taylo.htm

Tonal balance was exceptionally neutral and just about identical to my aforementioned favorite affordable monitors, the ACI Sapphire IIIs, but unfortunately for my Sapphires, thats where the similarities ended. Forgive the pun, but in just about all other ways, the Taylos soundly outclassed the Sapphires. At less than half the price of the Taylos, the $999 factory-direct Sapphires will survive my comparison, but Ive not encountered too many speakers in and around the $2k price point that can compete with them -- let alone dust them. The Taylos eclipsed the Sapphires in areas of soundstaging, midrange detail, treble extension and articulation, and in overall dynamics.

Midrange articulation and detail were as good as Ive heard from far more expensive speakers, and I could detect no obvious coloration. To outshine the treble I had to move up to my $9500 Genesis APM-1s and their superb ribbon tweeter. Then and only in direct comparison did the Taylo fall short and then not by all that much.

If you want a clear indication of owners opinions on this speaker vist this link of 41 reviews

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_124345_1594crx.aspx

Get a pre-owned pair from ty for under 1500 with ref stands, warranty etc and youll be a one happy camper. I have a pair and can say they out image & soundstage some very well reviewed 8k full range speakers. This audition was done with Audio Research LS-25, Audio Research CD3 & Classe Cam350 monoblocks, double bi-wired with AQ Gibraltar. I wont mention the other speaker manufactor but I'm sure most can figure it out

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:
Actually it didnt compare well to the original Sapphire's
From Scarab's own words, the Taylors don't compare well to even the original Sapphires. Scary to think how they'd do against the new and improved Sapphires. And, don't they cost like 40% more. Anyway, you made a strong statement Scarab. Good for you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by danbry39
From Scarab's own words, the Taylors don't compare well to even the original Sapphires. Scary to think how they'd do against the new and improved Sapphires. And, don't they cost like 40% more. Anyway, you made a strong statement Scarab. Good for you.
Taylo's cost 1825.00 new opposed to ACI 1300.00. But then again their internal make up cost almost exactly twice as much. However , on paper the Sapphires look like a better buy than the Onix speakers. Regards

·
Registered
605 Posts
danbry39,

Scarab33 is an obvious troll giving any thread he touches a very good chance of getting closed. Check out the number of threads that he has posted in and the tone that he ALWAYS takes...No one should question him because he is the end all be all when it come to what speakers everyone should own...I think he forgets that everyone has different tastes and hears things differently...evidentially he doesn't hear at all considering he judges speakers based on what components they use...and if he hasn't heard them or actually heard of them he discounts them for junk..:rolleyes:

I would bet that the Tyler's and Sapphires would be a good match and they have both gotten very good reviews. Best bet is to see if you can audition both in your room with your gear...I know I'm going to do my best to get a set to compare to my Ref 1's...:cool:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarab33
Taylo's cost 1825.00 new opposed to ACI 1300.00. But then again their internal make up cost almost exactly twice as much. However , on paper the Sapphires look like a better buy than the Onix speakers. Regards
This comment here proves your ignorance...a lot of speakers look better on paper but they don't perform for the individual for a number of reasons. Once again though you have showed that your comments are uninformed and uneducated...Can you tell me what you know about the Onix speakers that you are refering to?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay1
Scarab, your reference is irrelevant. The 25th AE is a completely different beast then the Sapphire III.

""Actually it didnt compare well to the original Sapphire's""

Is there something in this sentence you don't quite grasp ?

However, the taylo's still uses far superior parts opposed to the 25th AE

Enjoy

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hectic1
danbry39,

Scarab33 is an obvious troll giving any thread he touches a very good chance of getting closed.

And Boob is an obvious internet stalker, you av123 guys remind me of the past Norh crowd, wacky cult like lol

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Give it up guys...just let it die. No 'real' discussion is going to occur here.

·
Registered
605 Posts
For the record...Richard....I'm not an AV123 guy, Klipsch guy, Denon guy, Taylor guy, ACI guy, etc....and I would appreciate you addressing me correctly...

You obviously can't put together a logical reasoning to your thoughts so you attack people personally. Like I have told you before...it's not that you don't get it...it's that you can't get people to buy it...give up already. I don't care if someone buys Tylers, ACI, Onix, Ellis, etc...All I care about is that they find the right speaker for them...Have a good evening Scarab33...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys,

Can we please focus on the subject of the thread and forget the personal attacks. I have read the reviews and would appreciate opinions from those that have heard these speakers.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Quote:
""Actually it didnt compare well to the original Sapphire's""

Is there something in this sentence you don't quite grasp ?

However, the taylo's still uses far superior parts opposed to the 25th AE

Enjoy
What you fail to grasp is that this person isn't interested in the original Sapphires.

Parts aren't the only thing that matters (though the Sapphires do use a SS 9500 tweet and Vifa XT woofer).

How about Mike Dzurko (27 years experience) designing ACI's crossovers, vs Madisound designing Tyler's.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
What you fail to grasp is that this person isn't interested in the original Sapphires.
Quote:
Parts aren't the only thing that matters (though the Sapphires do use a SS 9500 tweet and Vifa XT woofer).
No Sir, they use the 9300 according to Mike..(ty's mini monitor uses the 9500 btw)...I'm guessing you don't own the 25th AE ?

Quote:
How about Mike Dzurko (27 years experience) designing ACI's crossovers, vs Madisound designing Tyler's.
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/t...tics_taylo.htm

""but unfortunately for my Sapphires, that’s where the similarities ended. Forgive the pun, but in just about all other ways, the Taylos soundly outclassed the Sapphires.""

...I guess that 27 yrs worth of experience didn't really matter in this case did it Jay ?It's good to see you at least gather enough interest to read some reveiws on Ty's outstanding products. However it sounds like youre taking Ty's use of Madisounds MLSSA setup is a bad thing....is this all you could come up with from that fine review? Lets be fair and post the whole paragraph from the year 2000...

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak071900.shtm

Ty is an audiophile with a fifteen-year history of tweaking his system and experiencing frustration with the results, particularly in the speaker department. Like many of us, Ty thought he might be able to do it better himself. Unlike many of us, he actually did something about it. He experimented with speaker design and concentrated much of his efforts on cabinet construction and driver selection. He makes no bones about it – Madisound does the basic crossover design using MLSSA and his selected drivers and cabinet volume, then Ty builds the crossovers and cabinets and does the critical listening and tweaking of the circuit in the fully assembled speaker. Let’s be frank, anyone with decent computer skills with today’s software and testing hardware can put together a loudspeaker that has good frequency and phase measurements. The "art" of conventional high-end loudspeaker design is in massaging the basic circuit and minimizing the cabinet effects.

I have listened to quite a few loudspeakers that have had excellent measurements, but fell far short of expectations when subjected to critical listening. You can make slight changes to the values of caps, coils and resisters without seeing any appreciable difference in the frequency curves. But sit down for a good listen and voila! —it sounds like a very different animal. It’s axiomatic that the audiophile ear is far more sensitive than today’s test equipment. Consequently, the excellence of a loudspeaker is more directly related to the quality of the designer’s ear and his ability to tweak the circuit then it is to the test regimens employed.

There are some loudspeaker designers, John Dunlavy being the archetype, that think that the quality of the individual crossover components and the drivers themselves are not nearly as significant as a small group of test parameters. Ty Lashbrook is the polar opposite. His designs are built around the very best crossover parts and drivers he can afford and time listening rather than obsessing over test data.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Scarab:

What exactly is the point of all this? What opinion are you trying to shove down our throats? Why not put this to rest and start playing nice in the sandbox? You've already ticked off Dave Bott once today, so there is no need to have yet another thread shut down. Since both Mike and Ty make some great sounding and looking speakers, I suggest you call it a draw and live to fight another day.

TK

·
Registered
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Billie
nhparrot, what is your opinion about aci sspphires vs. onix ref 1's?
I can't give you an honest opinion because I have not heard them. The Onix Ref line (or the Taylo line) did not make my short list because they did not offer everything I needed to equip my 7.1 system.

Unlike some that have replied to this thread, I do not feel qualified to make comparison's on speaker's I have not heard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarab33
I have heard the first sapphire but not the second
from thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=341357

WilliamJay and others, The ACI, Onix Ref, or Taylo speakers may be the one's that are right for you. Arrange an in home audition of as many speakers as you can and make your selection on what you think, not the reviews, unbiased or biased opinions of others.

Best of luck and enjoy the adventure

~Glenn

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm betting that most of the folks on this forum have the intelligence and wisdom to view the whole picture. In part, I base that bet on posts by people like Jay, Tom, Nhparrot, Hectic 1 and Kendrid who have all made real contributions to this thread. It sure would be nice if William could get additional feedback on his original questions. Thanks to all who've taken the time to post info.

To scarab I'll just say this. Use the full quote in context if your goal is truly to say something:)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
WilliamJay,

You should contact Mike Dzurko to see if you can audition the pair that is currently circulating around for in home auditions; these were just w/ cschang and myself for auditioning...Mike D is a GREAT guy...if possible, also try to get a pair of Tyler Ref monitors as well...it's best for you to conduct your own comparisons...i haven't heard the Tyler speakers, but i will say that the ACIs are very nice based on what i heard...good luck!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.