AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Well that took a few minutes to read.

Sounds like an awesome LCD projector! Good price point and I like the ability to address each pixel!

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks, Tom! Decent review. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good to see the TBP review..

I also got to look at this projector earlier today. See my additional comments from this PM.

I'm curious as to why Jeff didn't apparently see the same "graininess" I saw on DVD source material..

I'd definately take a first-hand look at this box before plunking down hard-earned $$s. Maybe it's just a tuning issue, but there is a definate difference in quality between the Sony 10HT and the Sanyo on this point (with Sony being better, IMHO). The Sanyo does win on color uniformity and overall contrast, but the graininess issue made my viewing experience not as enjoyable, and I was surprised not to see this in the TBP review..

JMHO..

·
Registered
111 Posts
jstolzen,

Jeff did mention in the TBP review something about having to set both the DVD *and* PLV-60 progressive. I find that a bit puzzling, but he mentioned that it improved the quality of the picture. Might be related to your experience?

Frank L

·
Registered
93 Posts
Frank - hmmm..not sure if the player AND the Sanyo PLV-60 were indeed set to Prog. Scan or not.

Could be part of the problem. I'll have to see if I can hook up with the Sanyo guy and check it out.

Jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
jstolzen,

Jeff did mention in the TBP review something about having to set both the DVD *and* PLV-60 progressive. I find that a bit puzzling, but he mentioned that it improved the quality of the picture. Might be related to your experience?

Frank L

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that "graininess" is either a source issue, or related to the fact that the projector has not been adjusted properly, which is one thing Jeff indicated on his review as being very important. Also, since the 10HT and the Sanyo are using the same LCD panel, and the Sanyo has had at least a year and a half after the intro of the 10HT to improve on it, it does not seem likely that, when both projectors are properly tweaked and then fed the same source, the Sanyo would be noticeably more grainy than the 10HT. Anyway, since I will have the Sanyo in my hands by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to see for myself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Call me cynical, but has anyone noted a correlation between glowing projector reviews by that forum's director and the fact that Big Picture DVD is financed by Medical Video Systems, which actively promotes and sells the product being reviewed.

While I don't doubt the expertise of Big Picture's director, I do question whether such a review can be relied upon to give objective results, especially with respect to the Sanyo's shortcomings.

In other words, Caveat Emptor. I apologize for being so cynical, but the "free market of ideas" that these fora permit demands that truth prevails.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Interesting as supposedly he trashed on the Davis projector that MVS lent him...from reading his posts, i don't sense that motivation (which he particularly states in his review). However, the review was not "performance" related enough for my taste...too much talking about look/inputs/etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mr. Freeman,

This is my first-ever post on AV Science and it's a shame that it's only to defend myself. In so many words, you are cautioning that I might be some sort of a "shill" for MVS and to me, those are fighting words.

I've worked extremely hard for the last four years to provide home theater enthusiasts with honest, accurate and unbiased reviews, the vast majority of which are DVD software reviews.

You'll notice that in that time, I've only published a handful of hardware reviews. This is by my choice. I only bother to take the time to investigate a hardware item that has been brought to my attention, usually by several different sources whether they be vendors, consumers or whoever, when I believe that the item in question may provide a great value to consumers. I do not review hardware as a rule. If I were "working" for MVS, I'd be publishing glowing reviews about numerous items on a regular basis, not seven or eight items over four years.

This is why I championed the Sony VPL-W400Q in 1997 and ultimately launched my entire website over my enthusiasm for a projector that could bring high quality home theater enjoyment to "regular" consumers that no longer needed a degree in electronics to install, nor deep pockets to afford, to enjoy a good home theater experience.

What really irks me is that nobody accused me of being dishonest or less than forthcoming when I panned the Davis Cinema One projector in one of my few hardware reviews. One of the things I respect the most about Dennis at MVS, as well as the studios that provide DVD content for review, is that they respect my integrity and would never DREAM of applying any kind of pressure to get the review "they" would like to see. The chips fall where they may when I take to the keyboard. Anybody who knows my writing knows this to be true.

But when I'm genuinely enthusiastic about a product, I'm also not one to walk on eggshells lest someone "suspect" that I'm trying to part them with their hard earned cash for my own selfish gain or whatever you must think my motivations could be, other than altruistic.

The Sanyo PLV-60, when properly calibrated and of course dependent on source material, looks fabulous and represents, in my book, a terrific value.

As I mentioned to you in my private e-mail which I also sent to you, I value my credibility more than I do MVS's sponsorship. Without the foundation of credibility, there is no website. Period.

Of course, the ultimate defense of my work comes from the tens of thousands of readers of The BIG Picture who have come to learn that everything I write, I write with objectivity and integrity.

I understand what you're trying to do and I know you mean well, but I thought I should set the record straight.

Before you call my integrity into question, please take the time to find evidence from the volumes of reviews I've written to bolster your case.

Regards,

Jeff McNeal

·
Registered
80 Posts
smitty - So, you decided to take the plunge, ey? I guess your 10ht/11ht decision is over? What made you decide to go the Sanyo route after having seen the 10ht at Don Stewarts shop? Was it Jeff's glowing report over at thebigpicturedvd forum?

I am anxiously awaiting your review as I am ready to pull the trigger on a Sanyo purchase. I recall your issues with the DWIN and believe you'll have an objective opinion that can be trusted. Thanks!

kmartin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jeff,

I think your response was as level headed and straight forward as your reviews. I've been reading and posting to both of these forums for the past three years and I have always found Jeff's reviews and forum management to be extremely fair.

·
Preditor
1,511 Posts
I'll also stand by Jeff's side.

Keep in mind exactly what he said, he started his site/forum over his love for the VPL-W400Q.

Sure the VPLW-10 got a great review, it was a successor to the 400Q. As Jeff pointed out, he hasn't reviewed every single LCD unit on the market. To me he's basing his reviews off of his opinion (of which a review is) and also compared to other projectors he's checked out.

I seem to recall that his D-ILA review was before MVS started carrying them as an instock item.

Keep in mind, before you question Jeff's review, would you automatically assume that Alan Gougers reviews or comments are directly to influence sales of products at AVScience?

While their may be a bias, I don't think either people do it to influence sales.

Besides, who give's a crap what a reviewer says (to a certain degree), I've *never* bought a product without demoing it myself. Especially one that costs thousands of dollars. Reviews may give me a lot more research on items I'm interested in, but they've never influenced me.

------------------

*always looking for Hi-Vision laserdiscs*

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jeff:

I totally agreed with you expert and objective opinion on the PLV-60. I've owned a Sanyo XP18. To my surprise not many people out there want to believe the fact that the Sanyo is one really excellent product in LCD projector.

Most people still believe Brand names rather than their own eyes. I can imagine how nice the Sanyo PLV-60 is because my XP18 is also very nice in picture quality except that it is 4:3. I admire you because the Sanyo PLV-60 is still not yet available in Hong Kong. What a shame!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
kmartin, why did I go with the Sanyo? 1. Based on Jeff's review and other preliminary reviews I have heard, it appears that the Sanyo was brighter and had better contrast than the Sony. 2. The Sony is not really that much cheaper for me than the Sanyo, because I would have needed to buy a longer throw lens for the Sony. I might do this eventually with the Sanyo, but it is not an absolute necessity. Thus, the prices were within about $500 of each other. 3. I figure the Sanyo is newer technology and that this should probably result in some improvement over the Sony given the rate at which technology improves in this area. I'm figuring that the Sanyo and the 11HT will be comparable, but this is just a guess. 4. I keep reading about dust problems with the Sony. It maybe too early to tell if the Sanyo has the same problems, but I'm hoping it has less of this type of problem. 5. I liked the fact that the Sanyo seems to be more tweakable directly without having to get into the service menu. 6. The Sanyo seems to be very user friendly in other areas, such as mounting. 7. It also seems to work well with the RTC-100, which I understand is a problem with the Sony, although I'm not very knowledgeable re these issues. 8. Finally, and very important, I am buying the Sanyo with a 14-day "no questions asked" return, so I'll only keep it if I like it.

By the way, I still think the 10HT on the GreyHawk screen is very good, and that I would have been very happy with it I'm sure. But after reading Jeff's review (and I have a lot of confidence in Jeff), I'm guessing that the Sanyo would be a better choice for me. I hope I'm right.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Jeff,

Glad to see yourself here. I have loved Big Picture for a while (even though I rack up my frequent flyer miles over here). Thanks for coming and thanks for the review.

I think the best thing about the review is that you used an out of the box unit. With the variations from unit to unit generally found with LCD products, it is good to know that you got an "average" one.

I distinctly remeber that when Bill Cushman (a reviewer for WSR and other mags) got his G20 to be reviewed that it was heavilly tweaked by the factory which is nothing new for JVC's demo units.

It was a good read maybe we can convince Alan to carry Sanyo.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yes, Jeff, thanks for a really interesting, detailed and PRACTICAL review. You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it and I for one thank you from the bottom of my heart. . .er. . .wallet! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

It is particularly nice to know you can depend on the internal electronics and eliminate the outboard scaler, for most normal uses. Were you able to test it with NTSC?

Looks like the end of my vigil is in sight. Now if IRS will just let loose of my money. . .

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Jeff McNeal = owner of The Big Picture website (TBP)

Dennis = Owner of MVS (Medical Video Systems an audio/video retailer)

MVS is the main sponsor of Jeff's website.

Jeff McNeal posted a negative review of the Davis Cinema One and I was one of the people that actually defended his review. That's right, Mr. Davis himself. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Of course, Jeff nudged people to the 10HT instead (which was stocked by MVS), but hey, is that a crime? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif I don't believe Jeff is a shill for MVS, but I do believe he is "protective", of MVS and I believe Jeff even said so publicly.

For a long time, while people were going absolutely bonkers over HTPC's, we didn't hear a peep from Jeff. Of course, MVS didn't stock HTPC's and his projector of choice (10HT) didn't work properly with them either, so it was as if HTPC's didn't even exist. I stated publicly that it looked fishy that HTPC's weren't being covered at all and voila, the very next day I see a post about HTPC's on TBP's front page. That was the last we heard about HTPC's for a long time.

I think a reasonable person could draw the inference that maybe not all great hardware is treated as important by Jeff. In fact, he just said that that is the case. So he has posted an all encompassing disclaimer that he covers what he wants, when he wants. There is nothing wrong with that. It is no crime. But I don't think his comments address the concerns that I and others, have discussed; namely, that Jeff is perhaps a little too selective in his approach to what hardware is important enough to review. I want to make this clear. I am not saying Jeff is a shill for MVS or that his reviews are dishonest. But his very selective coverage doesn't make him look like he is interested in the best hardware. Let's define "best" as being a combination of price and performance. It's not just what he has reviewed, it's what he hasn't reviewed that looks strange. I'm not talking about individual products, but entire categories of hardware and equipment, like HTPC's and anamorphic lenses.

I found Jeff's previous rationalization for the lack of coverage of ground breaking new products like anamorphic lenses and HTPC's as "gizmos and doodads" (that is an exact quote) to border on Luddism. I find it hard to believe that the owner of a website (which necessarily involves technology and at least the use of complex "virtual" tools) would hold those kinds of views.

Will Jeff review a product or even better, a projector that is NOT carried by MVS? For me, that's The Big Question.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.