AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The Hogan's Heros actually looked very good as they used a moving mask and did not distort the overall original picture. It wasn't quite 16:9, but it looked so good, they let it air that way, with just a touch of black on the edges. Not to mention that the shows were simply funny...in any language or format. Slapstick? Of course!

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/12470884

On the other hand, "Knight Rider" and "Hogan's Heros" have been shown in some degree of cropped widescreen. The movie channels also crop wide aspect ratios to 16x9 on a regular basis. There's precedent for both to happen.

Right, there certainly is precedent for both. But cropping a movie from its OAR is a far less severe alteration (and, as you probably know, sometimes isn't cropping but just opening the mat). Some viewers and/or producers may be no less offended when movies are aired in non-OAR, but to many/most it is hardly noticeable or preferable.

And my understanding of the Hogans Hero's remaster is that it is most akin to an open mat process.

As for Knight Rider, I agree that is an analogous case (unless, I guess, you want to argue that the wide screen look is more fitting for an old action series than an old sitcom). But I think it's clear that we're talking about shows with very different legacies. Just the airings alone tell you that. Knight Rider is in some sort of sparing syndication on Universal HD. To the degree Kight Rider may have been butchered (and I'm not saying it was), there weren't too many viewers or producers who cared. In fact, I'm happy to see Knight rider cropped if only because its limited appeal makes it a good test case for the process. I watched some of those Knight Rider airings on UHD simply out of intrigue for the remastering.

Seinfeld's syndication, on the other hand, is of an epic proportion. So while cropping may have happened to Knight Rider, it's hard to fathom that viewers and producers of perhaps the most revered and popular show in TV history would allow Seinfeld to meet that fate.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Did they crop Star Trek for the remaster?

Anyway, my point was they might crop the syndicated/edited versions because they're already slicing them up anyway, and the fanbase isn't going to cry foul so long as preserved DVD/HD disc versions are released.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, the remastered Star Trek is airing cropped in Japan but not here (although, it's not running in HD here anyway).

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Regardless of any efforts to the contrary, 4:3 material will never be acceptably presented in 16:9 format. ............. Cutting and pasting and stretching and shrinking will never receive the unreserved approval of a single AV Forum poster.

Upconversion in terms of sizing does not work. Why agonize over it?

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 /forum/post/12472917

Regardless of any efforts to the contrary, 4:3 material will never be acceptably presented in 16:9 format. ............. Cutting and pasting and stretching and shrinking will never receive the unreserved approval of a single AV Forum poster.

When has that ever stopped a studio or network from releasing material in the incorrect aspect ratio?

Until Alan, David or Ken head up the boards of these companies, they'll do whatever they want - despite our objections.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 /forum/post/12472481

And my understanding of the Hogans Hero's remaster is that it is most akin to an open mat process.

I doubt this is the case -- "Hogan's Heroes" was shot full frame on 35 mm film, which has an aspect ratio of something like 1.37:1. Open matte really wouldn't add much on the sides.

What probably does allow the cropping of "Hogan's Heroes" to work pretty well is the amount of protecting that was done to compensate for the massive amounts of overscan on TVs back in the sixties. How would this work? The "academy aperture" for full frame 35 mm is 0.864 x 0.630 "; the TV "safe action" area is only 0.713 x 0.535 ". If you take the height of the "safe action" area (0.535") and the width of the "academy aperture" (0.864"), you end up with an aspect ratio of 14.5:9. With the narrow black bars on the side, that's getting pretty close to the actual aspect ratio of "Hogan's Heroes" as transmitted on HDNet.

I suspect that the same technique could work well on many older shows -- and it isn't really "tampering with the artistic intent" of the original composition all that much, since the producers were aware that anything outside of the "safe action" area was at risk of being cropped by overscan on many home receivers, anyway.

While this does leave black bars on the side, those bars are pretty narrow, and perhaps less likely to generate complaints from viewers who want a full widescreen image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt /forum/post/12472629

Did they crop Star Trek for the remaster?

CBS/Paramount is creating both 4:3 and 16:9 HD masters for "Star Trek", per the CBS Domestic Television website.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond /forum/post/12475071

I doubt this is the case -- "Hogan's Heroes" was shot full frame on 35 mm film, which has an aspect ratio of something like 1.37:1. Open matte really wouldn't add much on the sides.

What probably does allow the cropping of "Hogan's Heroes" to work pretty well is the amount of protecting that was done to compensate for the massive amounts of overscan on TVs back in the sixties. How would this work? The "academy aperture" for full frame 35 mm is 0.864 x 0.630 "; the TV "safe action" area is only 0.713 x 0.535 ". If you take the height of the "safe action" area (0.535") and the width of the "academy aperture" (0.864"), you end up with an aspect ratio of 14.5:9. With the narrow black bars on the side, that's getting pretty close to the actual aspect ratio of "Hogan's Heroes" as transmitted on HDNet.

You misunderstood me. When I said akin to open matte, I meant exactly what you described; a process by the show is re-framed in a wide screen ratio by including portions of the original film which were once cropped out.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 /forum/post/12475769

You misunderstood me. When I said akin to open matte, I meant exactly what you described; a process by the show is re-framed in a wide screen ratio by including portions of the original film which were once cropped out.

Those portions don't exist. The 4:3 area for these TV shows takes up nearly the full frame of the film. There was no matting or cropping.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan /forum/post/13188604

Still no signs of anything except baseball in HD in "The Broadcast Streched" channel.

Which is why I programmed it out of my guide. I hate stretching.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan /forum/post/13188604

Still no signs of anything except baseball in HD in "The Broadcast Streched" channel.

What a waste of a channel. Fox Sports Net HD has more HD programming than TBS and they're hardly on the air. I would have rather had something like Speed Channel HD, Weather Channel HD, or something else that actually has HD content than a channel that shows nothing in HD.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
TBS duped providers into carrying the HD channel, because they had some baseball playoff games in HD. After that, they basically just stopped doing HD.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
No question, Turner used the baseball and their "clout" derived from their various other cable channels to get the TBS-HD channel assignment on the sats and cable systems for the long term. Obviously...they weren't really ready...just as when TNT-HD premiered with very little HD programming. It took them some time to get HD masters for Law & Order and to begin producing their own programs in HD.

As for TBS, they're not even showing "Raymond," "King of Queens," and "Yes Dear" in HD, when all of those episodes are available in HD.

Stretch-O-Vision is NOT a pretty thing.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Or "The Office" for that matter. But the original show "10 Items or Less" are in HD. Still a vast wasteland of non-HD stretched nonsense for the most part.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W /forum/post/13190627

TBS duped providers into carrying the HD channel, because they had some baseball playoff games in HD. After that, they basically just stopped doing HD.

Some?

They had all of them for the first round (divisional series) - along with 1 half of the 2nd round (championship).

They'll be back with a weekly Sunday afternoon game in about 6 weeks....

As for the HD availability of anything else on this channel.. ugh...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 /forum/post/13192346

Some?

They had all of them for the first round (divisional series) - along with 1 half of the 2nd round (championship).

I hate baseball, so I wasn't aware of how much of the playoffs TBS actually had.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I wish they would have given us animal planet or cnn, even if they aren't full time HD, than this garbage channel with our adds the other day. I gave Seinfeld a look out of curiousity and it was horrific.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.