AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and other sites about buying a new TV. 3 years ago I bought a 42" Philips plasma from Costco and it stopped working a few days ago. Since I purchased it before Costco changed their return policy, I am still able to return it for a new TV. This means I am only looking at TVs sold by Costco.

I have narrowed it down to these two models:

the Panasonic TC-50PS14 Plasma

and

the Sony KDL-52VL150 LCD

Most important to me is reliability. I am a college student and would like to keep this TV for a long time. How do LCDs hold up compared to plasmas? Is one more reliable than the other? A TV should last more than 3 years.

Second is picture quality. I have read the differences between LCDs and plasmas, and am aware of the pros and cons of each. Between these 2 models, which would have a better picture? Why is the Panasonic so much cheaper? Is there something the Sony has that it doesn't?

My Philips cost me $2000 back in the day so that is how much I have to work with.

What are your experiences with these sets? How do the specs of each compare?

This forum has already been a lot of help. I hope you guys can help me finalize my decision.

Thanks,

Jordan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
200 views and nobody has any input for me? I realize many of you don't buy your TVs from Costco, can anybody compare say the Panasonic S1 to the Sony V series? I am also really curious about which you think will be more reliable?

With any extra money I have left over I plan on buying a blue ray player. This TV will mainly be used for movies, some TV and video games. I may also connect my laptop from time to time.

I plan on making the return in a couple weeks, any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
In general, the more power-efficient HDTV runs cooler and is more reliable. Beyond that, both Panasonic and Sony are noted for reliability, which Phillips is not. So buy the TV that most pleases your eyes.

Beyond that, the LCD will have the edge in a room with uncontrolled and bright daylight. The Plasma will have the edge in a darkened room. But 80% of the time, either technology works in any particular room.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Sony's reliability has taken a tumble along with the economy. Cost cutting on their end. At this point I'd opt for the Panny, very reliable, with an excellent picture to boot. You'll like it much more than your old Phillips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies guys. I get very nervous reading all of the horror stories people have on here with their TVs. What ever happened to quality control?

I'm going by Costco tomorrow to look at the TVs again. However, I wont be making the return until I move into my new apartment, which is in a couple weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts