AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone now when is the new Panasonic LED LCD is going to be available?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I do not know when it will be available.

08/15/2010 Update

Now I know when they will be available. They are available now!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
there are a handful of websites showing it for pre-order

none say when they will get it but i would guess sometime in the next month or two like the rest of the new models from all the various brands

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi, sorry to bring up an old thread but I just noticed that amazon has a release date of May 1st for anyone who still wanted to know.

But now I have a question to ask, do Panasonic lcdtv's in general offer as wide of PC resolution scaling support as apposed to say a Samsung or LG lcdtv?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Via the product page on Panasonic's site:

"This system places LED backlights on the top and bottom of the panel, and sends the light toward the center of the screen. Using light guides and diffusers, it distributes the light over the entire panel to provide backlighting. There is no need to cover the entire rear surface with LEDs, so the panel module is thinner and a great deal of energy is saved."

So this model is edge-lit? "No need to cover the entire rear surface with LED's". Really? Is this just a PR way of selling consumers edge lit LED LCD's when in reality a backlit LED LCD with local dimming would be far superior?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh /forum/post/18524373

Via the product page on Panasonic's site:

"This system places LED backlights on the top and bottom of the panel, and sends the light toward the center of the screen. Using light guides and diffusers, it distributes the light over the entire panel to provide backlighting. There is no need to cover the entire rear surface with LEDs, so the panel module is thinner and a great deal of energy is saved."

So this model is edge-lit? "No need to cover the entire rear surface with LED's". Really? Is this just a PR way of selling consumers edge lit LED LCD's when in reality a backlit LED LCD with local dimming would be far superior?

Have you seen the actual unit its the Thickest Edge lite LED EVER.

Compared to Samsungs Edge Lite LED's its 4x as thick.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18525024

Have you seen the actual unit its the Thickest Edge lite LED EVER.

Compared to Samsungs Edge Lite LED's its 4x as thick.

This might mean no flashlighting. The 42" version doesn't use the same IPS alpha panel, right? I thought they only make 37" and 32" sizes.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Couple of sites I have seen mention IPS panel, but don't say IPS Alpha. I am hoping that they are alphas.

Time will tell

Oops I take that back. It looks like the LED's will have IPS panels. Frito has mentioned this in another thread

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I just set one of these Panny's up on my desk this afternoon. It replaces a 32" Sharp GP1U.

One of my motivations was to go bigger on screen size while going lower on power consumption. The display seems nice but I am not overwhelmed by it. I have watched a couple of clips from BDs and the it seems to handle dark seems much better than the Sharp did. As a PC display it somehow does not seem to have that certain something the Sharp did. I think sometime had been spent optimizing the Sharp as a PC display. It does use about half the power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just purchased the 37 inch model. Its being shipped to me later this week. Im a little stressed out about it. I will be using this as a pc monitor and heavy pc gaming as well as ps3 and xbox360, so i am a little worried about input lag.

I got a really good deal on this set, so i hope it suits my purpose. I will post some more as soon as i get to spend some time with it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I recently went into the local Sears to look at their 32" non LED Panasonic, but came away thinking I'd rather go with the TC-L37D2. IMO no one does edge lit LED better than Panny. Even when the screen goes all black the lighting is even. They must be using superior tech to focus and diffuse the back lighting evenly. I'll probably wait for a further price drop on the TC-L37D2. My guess is it will come down to around $650 eventually.

I'm not sure I get why you feel the TC-L37D2 is not as good for PC as the GP1U gtgray. From what I've seen all the Alpha IPS Pannys display text perectly, and colors very naturally with great black level and contrast. I know a lot of aspects of PQ are personal preference though. I happen to like very natural looking colors without over saturation, and good contrast and black levels but with good brightness. The D2 Pannys seem to have all that, and at a good price.

And yes, the TC-L37D2 IS an Alpha IPS set despite what some here have speculated contrary. I called Panasonic yesterday about their 32" non LED set, and despite the specs not saying Alpha IPS and both myself and the guy on the phone being skeptical about it having an Alpha type panel, he spoke to one of their engineers whom said all the TC-L models use Alpha IPS. You can tell when you look at them it's Alpha IPS, esp if you view it next to a standard non Alpha IPS like LG as I did in the store.

As for input lag, the TC-L37D2 should be quite low, what with an Alpha IPS and game mode.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I also saw a TC-L37D2 in person today at my local BB and was REALLY impresed. It had a sign confirming that it had an Alpha IPS panel and when I got waaay off-angle the picture didn't degrade much at all. Although we can't discuss price on this Forum, it seemed very reasonable to me even though the screen was "only" 37 inches.

I'd be very interested in hearing other opinions from people who have seen or (better yet) who own this TV. For those who aren't interested in a behemoth of an HDTV, this one looks like it might satisfy a lot of folks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts