AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm using my 42" Panasonic Plasma TV as my computer monitor for my desktop running 2x Radeon 7950's. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or specific settings when using this plasma tv as a desktop monitor.

I was using the standard recommended settings with it set on cinema and the color temperature at warm2, but there are two problems that I noticed last night that make me think its different when using it as a monitor. One problem is that when the tv is set at warm2, all the black text that show up in like a web browser and what not look dark blue, but when set to color temperature normal it shows up as regular black. Also, I copied my settings identically from cinema to custom and noticed that with both equal that cinema was washing out white scenes compared to custom, almost as if the contrast was way too high for cinema, but they are both at 80.

Again, do you guys know what would make this difference for using it as a desktop monitor, and if there are any special settings that are different for the computer than for regular tv viewing or blu-ray player.

P.S. I mostly use the desktop for pc gaming.

Thanks.

·
Banned
385 Posts
Hi jboom, I will share with you some test patterns I made for this

Checkerboard.zip
http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=xyAVow3el

Setting levels for PC use

1) Select Picture mode (Cinema recommended)

2) Select Gamma (2.2 recommended)

3) Open "Checkerboard > 0-255 Range > Black Level.bmp" in full screen

4) Find the lowest setting for Brightness where the checkerboard pattern remains visible

5) Open "Checkerboard > 0-255 Range > White Level.gif" in full screen

6) Find the highest setting for Input Level where the checkerboard pattern remains visible

Setting levels for TV, Bluray, Consoles etc (RGB Limited)

1) Select Picture mode

2) Select Gamma

3) Open "Checkerboard > 16-235 Range > Black Level.bmp" in full screen

4) Find the lowest setting for Brightness where the checkerboard pattern remains visible

5) Open "Checkerboard > 16-235 Range > White Level.gif" in full screen

6) Find the highest setting for Input Level where the checkerboard pattern remains visible

Note: you need to perform that in a completely dark room or its basically impossible and I don't know what Input Level is called on the S60? IRE? not sure someone help me out

edit: also first you must set RGB full range(0-255/pc levels) in HDMI portion of video card drivers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts