AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am sure I not not the first but I just spent about a half hour evaluating the Panny G20 at Best Buy. Some of my favorite nuggets were that the CSR told me it had a native 5,000,000 to 1 NATIVE contrast ratio, (he said this to at least 3 customers after me) that this set was 3D capable, and that 600 hz subdrive is way better than 240hz =) The TV was priced at the same MSRP listed on the panny website.

On to the viewing... great blacks for sure were noted although next to the Samsung LED UNB7100 when the screen went to full black, the panny was a decidedly more gray shade while the Sammy was true black. On program material however I think the Panny more than held its own if it wasnt slightly better even.

The set was also pretty bright even compared to the LCD/LED backlit sets. Glare- in comparison to the LCD/LED backlit glossy screened sets the pannys anti glare worked better than the LCDs I viewed including the Sammy mentioned above.

I must say I enjoyed viewing material on this set it seemed to have a very natural processing. Motion looked very smooth. The sammy was very close to the panny while watching head on and was brighter than the panny by a good margin. Whites better on the sammy.

Colors: hands down the most vibrant colors in the showroom while not looking cartoony at all. Speaking of colors, I saw the new Sony matte LED edge lit sets (ex400,ex500, ex700) and they looked positively drab next to the glossy Sammy and the Panasonic Plasma.

Off Axis- Great performance from the panny here, definitely better than anything else I saw.

Thats it for my quick review, I had went to the store dead set on an LED backlit set (LH90 at the top of my personal list) but went away intent on doing more plasma research on these g20s. It looked very very good , I am only worried about rising black levels after XXX hours like the 11g/12g sets.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.bennett /forum/post/18268147

......I went to the store dead set on an LED backlit set (LH90 at the top of my personal list) but went away intent on doing more plasma research on these g20s. It looked very very good , I am only worried about rising black levels after XXX hours like the 11g/12g sets.

The big question here is that even if the G20's black levels rise 3 times like they do on the 2009 models, will the higher black levels still be blacker and more detailed than on the LED LCD TVs?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18268169

The big question here is that even if the G20's black levels rise 3 times like they do on the 2009 models, will the higher black levels still be blacker and more detailed than on the LED LCD TVs?

Agreed, and from what we can surmise from Panasonic they will rise slower than the previous models.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.bennett /forum/post/18268256

Agreed, and from what we can surmise from Panasonic they will rise slower than the previous models.

I don't think they will rise slower. I believe they will rise at the same speed just in smaller increments and more often. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.bennett /forum/post/18268147

Colors: hands down the most vibrant colors in the showroom while not looking cartoony at all. Speaking of colors, I saw the new Sony matte LED edge lit sets (ex400,ex500, ex700) and they looked positively drab next to the glossy Sammy and the Panasonic Plasma.

FYI: the Sony EX400/EX500 are not LED lit, but CCFL. The EX700 is LED.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.bennett /forum/post/18270649

My mistake, they were labeled as such at BB

Then it's not your mistake, it's BB's mistake. Or more likely, they are intentionally trying to mislead their customers as usual

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by longball07 /forum/post/18270805

Also the BB guy had no idea what he was talking about when he told you the G20 was 3D ready, IT IS NOT!

Correct. I think you missed my sarcasm above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts