AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, after reading alot on the forums and on other sites i cant really decide on which one to go and buy. some people say that LG is a little or similar to the Panasonic, and i read that the Panasonic have some issues with the black. so my question is which of these set is the best overall, TC-P58VT25 or LG-60PX950? thanks guys

* I plant to play 4-5 hours of gaming 5 days a week. Also looking for the best picture possible.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
If it was my money I go with the VT-25. Best 3D HDTV out right now and Panasonic usually has very low input lag (good for gaming).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Go with the LG. Has THX mode and displays 24fps properly.

·
Registered
14,791 Posts
I have pretty much decided that the 60PX950 will be my choice to upgrade from my Panasonic TH-50PH9UK. I almost bought the 58VT10 last year but issues with black levels caused me to wait. I looked at both the 58VT25 and the Samsung 58C8000 but both of these panels seem to have issues. From what I have read the 60PX950 is not perfect either.

The two issues that are talked about most are IR and that the panel is quite reflective. As far as IR I'm not to concerned as I do not do any gaming. The fact that the PX950 might be more reflective than the 58VT25 or the 58C8000 is not a huge concern either as I do not do much viewing during the day. If I do I can always close the blinds on the windows in my livingroom. The TH-50PH9UK is also very reflective so I am used to it so the 60PX950 might actually be an improvement

The other factor is that the 60PX950 is less expensive than both the 58VT25 and the 58C8000. I also feel the 60PX950 is the better looking panel with the 58VT25 looking much cheaper than its price would indicate. For me personally this is a hard purchase decision as its not an easy product to return if I'm not happy with my decision. The process of taking my current display down replacing the mount and installing the new display is a lot of work. So I want to make sure I'm making the right decision and I think the 60PX950 will be a nice improvement over the TH-50PH9UK (720p) in both PQ and display size

Bill

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos
hello, after reading alot on the forums and on other sites i cant really decide on which one to go and buy. some people say that LG is a little or similar to the Panasonic, and i read that the Panasonic have some issues with the black. so my question is which of these set is the best overall, TC-P58VT25 or LG-60PX950? thanks guys

* I plant to play 4-5 hours of gaming 5 days a week. Also looking for the best picture possible.
You probably do not want to buy an LG if you're going to game that much. There are constant reports of long lasting IR on the LGs. Read the various LG specific threads and get more feedback on IR, but it seems to be a lot worse on the LGs than the other two brands.

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19607672

You probably do not want to buy an LG if you're going to game that much. There are constant reports of long lasting IR on the LGs. Read the various LG specific threads and get more feedback on IR, but it seems to be a lot worse on the LGs than the other two brands.

I have read this as well. But some in the LG threads have posted that even with a fair amount of gaming that IR was not that bad. I'm curious as to if the settings of a specific panel will make IR worse than others with the same display?

Bill

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh lord! This is getting kind of difficult! I mean I like the design on the LG. The panasonic is kind of ugly on that but it has an amazing picture as well as the LG. So I don't know! I'm stuck between these 2 sets. I will do the break-in procedure for 100-150 hours before gaming. So I don't even know what to do! Helppppp

·
Registered
417 Posts
Take it home and audition it. It's the only way to find out. In 30 days, if you don't like it, return it. That's why they have return policies.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller /forum/post/0

Compromise...take a Samsung 58".

Please don't confuse me even more! I'm debating between these 2 models. It's kind of hard. To decide which one to go with! But I think I will go for The LG! If not the Panasonic, I will have to test these 2 set and see what can I do.

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos /forum/post/19609529

Please don't confuse me even more! I'm debating between these 2 models. It's kind of hard. To decide which one to go with! But I think I will go for The LG! If not the Panasonic, I will have to test these 2 set and see what can I do.

I would go with with the one you are most comfortable with
. I would read as much as you can here about both the LG and the Panasonic as well as the professional reviews to really get a feel for which one would be best for what you are looking for. You could be here for months as many would suggest this display and that one so much so you will never decide

I was just at BB to look at the LG PK950 (no PX on display), 58VT25 and 58C8000. They all looked as good as could be expected with ESPN HD feeds that are not really the best way to judge a plasmas PQ IMO. I think by going to places like BB you can get a feel for the PQ of a display you are interested in but there are way too many variables to contend with IMO.

After quite a bit of reading the LG 60PX950 looks like the one for me. The price and the looks as well as the PQ are all what I am looking for. Now I will wait to see if LG will offer the 3D bundles like Panasonic and Samsung are offering right now. That will clinch it for me

Bill

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 /forum/post/19610016

LG's run the hottest, get IR the most, and has the most lag. I would definitely pick either Samsung or Panasonic. But if those issues don't bother you, than it is yours. It will be a pain to bring back though.

Not sure about the LG's runner hotter than the Samsung or the Panasonic plasmas. But I was at BB today and checked the LG 60PK950 to see if there were any fans and there was no air movement along the top rear panel. When I did this I put my hand on the top panel and it was warm at best. This was at about 12:30pm so I would say it was on for at least 2-3 hours maybe more. No warmer than my Panasonic TH-50PH9UK.

It would be a pain to bring back a Samsung that has issues with buzzing or a Panasonic with black level issues as well. No perfect panel out there and you just have to figure out which issues you would be willing to deal with if they do surface.

Bill

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your reply guys! I really like the design style of the LG but I can live without that. I PM Chad B and he told me my best bet is the Panasonic VT25. So I guess I will go with that if I don't like it I just return it and get the LG. Also I'll be gaming alot so input lag is a point to consider. The VT25 has 16ms versus the 50ms of LG. So I guess the Panny will be my choice! Thanks again guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts