1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
300k Dimming Zones
10000 Nits?
1ms Persistence

See Charbax video TCL 8K at 6:24 from January 15th. I’m not allowed to post links.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
300k Dimming Zones
10000 Nits?
1ms Persistence

See Charbax video TCL 8K at 6:24 from January 15th. I’m not allowed to post links.
I see TCL is pairing up with Onkyo to include sound bars on their sets for 2020. Interesting, but what do you do if you wall mount the flat screen and don't plan on hooking up to a receiver? In that video. I wonder if the sound bar can be detached from the legs to either mount to the wall, or sit on an entertainment center.

TCL had all these promises this year with Quantum Dot, yet still had issues with motion and DSE.
If they don't fix their internal quality control with panels, and spend a little more on the processor, all the other technology is useless. There's nothing worse than hunting for panels in a panel lottery, or seeing a ball jump across the screen due to poor refresh rates and sub par processing power.

Interesting article nonetheless. Thanks for sharing. I own 3 TCL sets, and happy with all. Great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
https://youtu.be/cx3vyDCduAY?t=376

300k zones in 2021-2022, possibly.

I feel like there was a language barrier. Further the TCL representative seemed inconsistent with what was already disclosed. He claimed there would be 1-2000 zones on the Vidrian which will supposedly have 5k zones. A few months ago TCL estimated about 25k zones in 2023, now this guy just nonchalantly drops a claim of 300K zones in the middle of a conversation that was never mentioned before. Highly skeptical here.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
300k Dimming Zones
10000 Nits?
1ms Persistence

He also inadvertently says the Vidrian version (v2) coming at end of 2020 will have halos if you listen carefully; just reduced from v1 generation. And "Generation 3" will have "no halos". Which probably also isn't true but they will be further reduced. He also comments the TV gets hot and has vents to dissipate the heat.

They also mention the Hisense dual panel. In reality for 2020 unless Hisense really drops of the ball the dual layer panel will be the one to beat contrast/black wise. It'll be the first time any consumer LCD has OLED/near perfect blacks and supposedly 1000+ nits.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Maybe he meant to say 300k leds...
Even that would be a massive advancement, considering their current Mini LED TVs have 25k Mini LEDs total, at the top end... Didn't watch the vid, but sounds very suspect. Now if they are working on Dual LCD, and he misspoke, then 300k zones sounds very reasonable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
At a TCL presentation they claimed 15,360 zones in 2023 TCL mini-LED LCDs. That does not mean that will happen...it is something they strive for...

·
Registered
458 Posts
At a TCL presentation they claimed 15,360 zones in 2023 TCL mini-LED LCDs. That does not mean that will happen...it is something they strive for...

The specs below are confusing to me so I just eyeballed the image above from 2019 to 2021. Looks like a quadrupled zones.

Wonder why they can't just do something like 480 x 272 fald bulbs so it has 130,560 zones.. maybe 1 bulb per 64 clusters of pixels.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I would check anything folks say who are specifically hired to do the CES/IFA etc... talking for the brand at the floor. I remember few years back when i started a thread based upon idiotic statements of such individual...Higher ups are more careful with their statements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts