AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TCL 8 Series Roku TV (2019 Model - 65" & 75") *Owner's Thread*(No Price Talk)

Hey guys,

Thought I'd go ahead and start an "owner's thread" for the new TCL 8 Series because owners are finally starting to receive their new TV's.

Discuss! And please remember, per forum rules, no "street price" discussion here.

Cheers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Updated 11/24. Removed previous message to avoid confusion.

I found that roku os has major problems on this TV. All apps are broken, have black crush, don't apply settings... I used those apps to test and my findings were incorrect. Don't use it! Use any other external streaming device! PQ is much better on hdmi ports.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I already shared my thoughts on this TV in another thread, just want to repeat it here.

Huge box and TV is heavy. TV itself does not have a cheap feel except for remote.
Out of the box there is black crush in all modes. Calibrating grayscale is a must in my opinion. 11pt calibration using phone app fixes black crush for all modes at once.
Gamma setting 2.0 is closer to 2.2 and setting 2.2 is closer to 2.4. Leaving it 2.2 and calibrating 2.4 gave me the best picture.
I did not find any issues with SDR and HDR10. Those are not OLED black levels for sure, but still good. SDR can be set very bright which is good for bright rooms.
DV is the only mode where I could see issues. For example, there was patch of zones completely off in several dark scenes. Same movie same scene in HDR10 did not have such problem.
Just curious. Have you checked those calibration results with an external meter and 3rd-party software?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Will owners who receive the 8 Series- PLEASE include the size (65/75) that you purchased and are talking about in you review and discussions.. Thanks, Gerry

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
DV is the only mode where I could see issues. For example, there was patch of zones completely off in several dark scenes. Same movie same scene in HDR10 did not have such problem.
If you adjust the gray scale can you get it to stop turning them off in DV? Sounds like they really need to have separate setting in DV, hopefully they add that in a future update.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
If you adjust the gray scale can you get it to stop turning them off in DV? Sounds like they really need to have separate setting in DV, hopefully they add that in a future update.
Because of Dolby's stranglehold on anything and everything to do with DV, that may be tougher/take longer to do than we think. Sony more or less bypassed this by engineering their top of the line sets to use the SDR settings as the global baseline environment for everything: SDR and both HDR10 and DV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wonder what the sales are like on this thing? When is rtings going to do their review?
Sales are probably not very high considering that Best Buy is the only channel, selling at retail price and availability is still patchy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fomo Tech's preliminary review on the 8 ....seems like shadow algorithms are a problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fomo Tech's preliminary review on the 8 ....seems like shadow algorithms are a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsOty0woKTY
That's funny, I thought things were patched up in an update.

https://twitter.com/chrisheinonen/status/1190336722950709249

https://twitter.com/Vincent_Teoh/status/1190334602545680384

Vincent was the one throwing the biggest stink about it, and this was at a TCL event were one would think the TV would look it's best. Now well you can see the praise he was heaping on to it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would never pay $3k for a TV . I don't care if its mini-led, micro-led, aero-led. It's just crazy. Especially if it's from a company like TCL who makes great TV's mind you but they are an early adopter of mini-led even still would never pay 3k for a TV unless I was a billionaire.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would never pay $3k for a TV . I don't care if its mini-led, micro-led, aero-led. It's just crazy. Especially if it's from a company like TCL who makes great TV's mind you but they are an early adopter of mini-led even still would never pay 3k for a TV unless I was a billionaire.
Anyone paying full price is a fool, or loves to show off the "new" tech. This is TCL, once it's available everywhere you will be able to get the 75" for 1800-2000, and the 64 might hit 12-1300.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well even $3000 is pretty cheap for a top of the line TV if you're an enthusiasts considering a 37" LCD TV cost like $20,000 in 1998 and a VCR like $2500 back in 1980 which was a lot money back then ! ...LoL

·
Registered
524 Posts
I got my 75" today and love it.

I only wish I could find the iPhone IPQ calibration app so I can calibrate it

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts