AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1379 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
I contacted TCL on Twitter, so let's see what happens. Other than the jailbar issue I'm loving this TV!

Anybody have good settings? Specifically contrast. Rtings says 100 but Cnet had theirs at 70! That's a big difference.

I tried using iPQ with my LG G7, but it was super red so I'm guessing that phone isn't very accurate. I ran iPQ a few times and then used Rtings' red values in white balance. Probably not the most accurate, but it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I contacted TCL on Twitter, so let's see what happens. Other than the jailbar issue I'm loving this TV!

Anybody have good settings? Specifically contrast. Rtings says 100 but Cnet had theirs at 70! That's a big difference.

I tried using iPQ with my LG G7, but it was super red so I'm guessing that phone isn't very accurate. I ran iPQ a few times and then used Rtings' red values in white balance. Probably not the most accurate, but it looks pretty good.

You have to know someone with an iPhone, I would just bribe them to come over. It will only take you about 10 minutes to run through the iPQ app a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,051 Posts
Posts removed. Price/deal's talk is not permitted outside of the deal's area.

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
I'm curious for those of you that are buying the 8 series TV. What TV are you coming from? (Old LCD, plasma, OLED, other recent LCD, etc)

Reviews seem mixed on this one. Looks like a regular qled type TV with poor viewing angles, etc except better contrast ratio. Priced at the upper end of LCD sets (although less with recent discounts).

Any owners care to comment how this TV stacks up against what you came from previously (or maybe you returned something else recently to buy this one)?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm curious for those of you that are buying the 8 series TV. What TV are you coming from? (Old LCD, plasma, OLED, other recent LCD, etc)

Reviews seem mixed on this one. Looks like a regular qled type TV with poor viewing angles, etc except better contrast ratio. Priced at the upper end of LCD sets (although less with recent discounts).

Any owners care to comment how this TV stacks up against what you came from previously (or maybe you returned something else recently to buy this one)?

It’s also brighter than anything other than the Vizio Px and has hundreds more dimming zones than any other display.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I almost did that over last weekend, but changed my mind at the last minute. I want Vidrian tech if it provides the promised wider viewing angles due to having fewer layers. If Vidrian is not as good as promised I will pick up a 2020 6 Series 75 inch model or a 2019 8 series off the clearance rack later this year. Waiting is so hard to do, but I am going to.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah I gotta see what the 2020 TCLs and Vizios have to offer this year with HDMI 2.1 and 4k 120HZ. Its going to be needed for the next gen consoles and could be used now with my PC. I will definitely pull the trigger on 77 inch LG C9 if it drops in price

·
Registered
403 Posts

Coming from a 10 year old Sony, I have to say the colors, brightness, and black levels of this TV blow me away! I don't have any issues with viewing angles in my setup.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just watched the UHD BR of Into the Spider-verse. Looks absolutely unreal on this TV. The contrast, brightness, and color gamut coverage are so good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The UHD BR of the Into the Spider-Verse is unreal on this TV. Highly recommend checking it out if you haven’t.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry for the duplicate post. My app said the first one didn’t post and now I can’t erase either of them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out ARC. It took me hours to finally get the built-in apps to play through my receiver while also having the cable box hooked up. Now I can't turn on the TV without the receiver also turning on even though I swear I have all the power controls turned off!

Update: I have a Denon x4400, and I've turned HDMI control OFF in the settings, yet turning on the TV STILL turns on the Receiver. wtf? I'm guessing this is more of an ARC/CEC issue than a TV issue. Maybe I'd be better off just using an optical cable?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out ARC. It took me hours to finally get the built-in apps to play through my receiver while also having the cable box hooked up. Now I can't turn on the TV without the receiver also turning on even though I swear I have all the power controls turned off!

Update: I have a Denon x4400, and I've turned HDMI control OFF in the settings, yet turning on the TV STILL turns on the Receiver. wtf? I'm guessing this is more of an ARC/CEC issue than a TV issue. Maybe I'd be better off just using an optical cable?

What are your CEC settings on the TV?

·
Registered
403 Posts
What are your CEC settings on the TV?

I only have the ARC box checked, but it appears you can't turn off CEC independent of ARC on the TV (I can turn off HDMI control on the receiver while keeping ARC active). No matter what I do, the AVR always turns on when I turn on the TV. I don't want that to happen. I want to be able to choose when to use the AVR and keep it off when I don't want it on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I only have the ARC box checked, but it appears you can't turn off CEC independent of ARC on the TV (I can turn off HDMI control on the receiver while keeping ARC active). No matter what I do, the AVR always turns on when I turn on the TV. I don't want that to happen. I want to be able to choose when to use the AVR and keep it off when I don't want it on.

OK. I’ll look at my settings when I get home to see if I notice anything. I’m also using a Denon AVR, so we will figure it out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
OK. I’ll look at my settings when I get home to see if I notice anything. I’m also using a Denon AVR, so we will figure it out.

Not sure they will help, but here are the two screens that I can find that seem to control what you are looking for.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not sure they will help, but here are the two screens that I can find that seem to control what you are looking for.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200122/8bd228e8ecb70dd9c8e0cc7bebbe9123.jpg[/ IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200122/64a2c7962b7f70cc8f14b50516ce1655.jpg[/ IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yes, those look like the screens on my devices. So when you turn on your TV, your receiver doesn't turn on automatically?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone, I purchased the 75 inch version of this TV back in November last year. I was going to give my thoughts on this TV after I had received it here on this forum, but it started showing some hiccups. So I've spent some decent amount of time with it trying to figure out whats going on with it. I still haven't found out anything useful. I'll have to post some pictures for you guys to see whats going on clearly, but basically it's having an identity crisis, it can't decide if it's an edge-lit or full array local dimming TV. During dark scenes, it will go from nice deep blacks and contrast to suddenly elevating all blacks in the same said scene. It really does look like an edge-lit TV when this happens. Once again, I'll work on posting some photos so you see what I'am talking about. Does anyone else have or know something similar to this issue on this TV?

201 - 220 of 1379 Posts