AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 821 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
So I just got done calibrating my R625 65" with the IPQ app. I had to borrow my girls phone since she has a Apple phone and I have a Droid. Anyway. You take a series of white screen images with a black rectangle in the middle and you have to line up the corners of your camera with the corners of the rectangle. It tell you that you have to take 12 pics. After I was done it give you the results. Even before I did the calibration the color accuracy out of the box was already Excellent. I don't know if I can see a big change cause my numbers already looked good. Anyone else try it? . I don't even know how accurate this app is. The app only changes the 11pt white balance. It doesn't change anything in the color space. From 30% to 10% they were all zeros. See attached.

Color error De2k Before/After
(Lower is better) 2.63/1.54

Color Accuracy
Excellent/Excellent

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Got my TV today and have it all set up. I used the settings from rtings for now since I don't have an iPhone or Pixel. I turned on some 4K Youtube demo videos and I was BLOWN AWAY! Right now I'm watching hockey on Comcast cable, so obviously it doesn't look as good, but I have to be honest, I'm seeing some jailbars when the camera pans /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif I thought the 8 Series wasn't going to have those? Anybody else see them?
Consumer Reports has the most accurate picture settings. I tried rtings and CNET. Rtings was the worst out of all 3. Consumer reports was the most accurate. I got a great panel. I barley see any jail bars. I really got a great panel and I have very little yellow streaking on the sides and corner of the TV. I had a 55" before I upgraded to the 65" and that had alot of yellow streaking. You can check this on an all white background.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Consumer Reports has the most accurate picture settings. I tried rtings and CNET. Rtings was the worst out of all 3. Consumer reports was the most accurate. I got a great panel. I barley see any jail bars. I really got a great panel and I have very little yellow streaking on the sides and corner of the TV. I had a 55" before I upgraded to the 65" and that had alot of yellow streaking. You can check this on an all white background.

I didn't know CR released picture settings. Where did you access them ?

·
Registered
200 Posts

Are you talking about the 6 Series or 8 Series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts

Are you talking about the 6 Series or 8 Series?

Sorry the 6 series. The 6 series is great. The upscaling alone from the 617 2018 model is worth the upgrading. The upscaling is really great on this TV. Also Consumer Reports mentions this as well. Not to many reviews talk about upscaling but to me you can have the best HDR TV but if the upscaling sucks (ala Vizio) then the tv is not worth a damn cause most people watch 70% HD material vs 4k and HDR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I am seeing something very similar to what an above post mentioned. I just got my tv tonight and while for the most part I am impressed.... I noticed during a few very dark scenes, the panel suddenly lifted all its blacks and readjusted then resumed as normal. Anyone know anything about this? Hope I dont have a defective panel. This was only in HDR with brightness at max.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi everyone, I purchased the 75 inch version of this TV back in November last year. I was going to give my thoughts on this TV after I had received it here on this forum, but it started showing some hiccups. So I've spent some decent amount of time with it trying to figure out whats going on with it. I still haven't found out anything useful. I'll have to post some pictures for you guys to see whats going on clearly, but basically it's having an identity crisis, it can't decide if it's an edge-lit or full array local dimming TV. During dark scenes, it will go from nice deep blacks and contrast to suddenly elevating all blacks in the same said scene. It really does look like an edge-lit TV when this happens. Once again, I'll work on posting some photos so you see what I'am talking about. Does anyone else have or know something similar to this issue on this TV?
It sounds like there is an auto adaptive luminance setting that is erroring out. I checked the Roku remote app on my phone, and didn't see a setting to disable that setting. Nor did I see anything in the main menu to disable it. Maybe a firmware can fix it? That would be very annoying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I am seeing something very similar to what an above post mentioned. I just got my tv tonight and while for the most part I am impressed.... I noticed during a few very dark scenes, the panel suddenly lifted all its blacks and readjusted then resumed as normal. Anyone know anything about this? Hope I dont have a defective panel. This was only in HDR with brightness at max.
That's interesting, on my end it doesn't matter if it's HDR or SDR content I'am watching, the issue is the same. I know it's not blooming, although icons that appear on the corners of the screen have that to. Highly doubt it has to do with the panel itself. I owned the 2018 TCL 6 series before this TV, the 6 series had such bad clouding that any and all local dimming was ineffective, rendering blacks to a grey all the time. This TV can achieve excellent blacks, just not consistently at all. Anyway, I'am rounding up clips to use to show this problem, I should have that posted soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sounds like there is an auto adaptive luminance setting that is erroring out. I checked the Roku remote app on my phone, and didn't see a setting to disable that setting. Nor did I see anything in the main menu to disable it. Maybe a firmware can fix it? That would be very annoying.
That could very well be it, whatever is going on will probably need a firmware update to correct it. I'll be contacting TCL support once I got the photos of what's going on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay guys, I've finally got the pics together. I tried using my phone to take these, but it couldn't capture the effect, so I moved to my DSLR instead. I probably should have used a tripod to take these, so I've had to overexpose the shots so you can see what's going on. I have these divided showing the effect, then when the TV switches back to "normal". The clip this is taken from is a LG OLED demo on YouTube.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright I have a question. The stand on this tv is so big that I had to place my soundbar on top of the metal stand. It is really nicely secure on top of there but I noticed rather quickly that the soundbar is hurting my ears and even making me dizzy. This soundbar with the same settings has been attached to another tv for a year and has never had this effect. I am wondering exactly what about my new setup us doing this. Is it because it is slightly elevated now? Is it because the middle of the stand is resting on metal? Any advice? I'm a big visual guy and know almost nothing about audio.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Okay guys, I've finally got the pics together. I tried using my phone to take these, but it couldn't capture the effect, so I moved to my DSLR instead. I probably should have used a tripod to take these, so I've had to overexpose the shots so you can see what's going on. I have these divided showing the effect, then when the TV switches back to "normal". The clip this is taken from is a LG OLED demo on YouTube.

Thanks for the pictures, I’m definitely not seeing this with mine. How long does it last?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, I’m definitely not seeing this with mine. How long does it last?

It's a mixed bag, some dark scenes it happens, and others it doesn't. It's unfortunately very frequent though, it can last throughout a whole scene. What's crazy is that I can play games like Battlefront II and Dreadnought and it does great, even in shots of space with star fields, blacks remain inky without any blooming to speak of or this problem. It's more often than not scenes that a TV of this caliber should handle superbly that have problems.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's a mixed bag, some dark scenes it happens, and others it doesn't. It's unfortunately very frequent though, it can last throughout a whole scene. What's crazy is that I can play games like Battlefront II and Dreadnought and it does great, even in shots of space with star fields, blacks remain inky without any blooming to speak of or this problem. It's more often than not scenes that a TV of this caliber should handle superbly that have problems.

Have you noticed if it happens more with Dolby Vision or HDR10 content?

·
Registered
13 Posts
To be honest, I haven't really bothered watching a lot of HDR content given how this TV behaves with just SDR. With that being said, what I have seen thus far seems to be no worse then SDR content. I've watched clips in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, with no difference in terms of this "black elevating problem." In the Dolby app, watching the clip from Skyscraper was awful, the entire clip had elevated blacks. Then I watched a YouTube clip in HDR from Interstellar, which for the most part was very good. It was the scene where Cooper was trying to dock with the Endurance. Aside a few brief pop-ups with this issue, the clip played out awesome on this TV. The rest of the HDR content I've seen on this TV performs like one of the two aforementioned clips thus far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone else notice how aggressive the local dimming is around the letterbox area? This is nice for letterbox movies but annoying during full screen content. For instance. Watch a bright full screen hdr test video on YouTube and notice how anytime the area near the top or bottom of the screen gets somewhat dark, the entire area turns off even though it should maintain some illumination. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
200 Posts
To be honest, I haven't really bothered watching a lot of HDR content given how this TV behaves with just SDR. With that being said, what I have seen thus far seems to be no worse then SDR content. I've watched clips in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, with no difference in terms of this "black elevating problem." In the Dolby app, watching the clip from Skyscraper was awful, the entire clip had elevated blacks. Then I watched a YouTube clip in HDR from Interstellar, which for the most part was very good. It was the scene where Cooper was trying to dock with the Endurance. Aside a few brief pop-ups with this issue, the clip played out awesome on this TV. The rest of the HDR content I've seen on this TV performs like one of the two aforementioned clips thus far.

Have you tried forcing a reinstall of the FW via the secret menu? I’m not experiencing anything like you are describing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If anyone doesn’t have it, here are the Roku secret menu commands. Don’t change any settings unless you fully understand what it controls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you tried forcing a reinstall of the FW via the secret menu? I’m not experiencing anything like you are describing.

Sorry about the later response, it's been a busy week. The only thing I've done so far is a factory reset. I looked through the secret menus you posted, thanks a ton for that by the way:), but I couldn't find where to reinstall the firmware. Either way, I'm looking at retaking the pictures I took so that the black elevation is more visible, and sending them to TCL support. Hopefully they can provide a firmware update to fix it, that's still the only way I see this being solved. Thanks again for all your info and suggestions thus far bro:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Unfortunately this thread is kinds slow, so maybe I can get it going with some calibration discussion.

Does anyone know the difference between TV Brightness (not plain ol' "Brightness") and Backlight? It seems like you should just keep TV Brightness on "Brighter" and then change the backlight down to your viewing preference. Especially since I think the TV Brightness setting stays the same over all modes, so you would want it high for HDR viewing.

Also, what is everyone doing with the values below 50% on the iPQ app? Apparently the app doesn't calibrate those values. Also, I think it's best to keep the color space setting on AUTO.

221 - 240 of 821 Posts