AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 2509 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't see that its been covered in here but has anyone tried watching Wonder Woman through the built in HBO max app? It is beyond unwatchable with constant stuttering and dropped frames. I saw on Reddit that it may be an encoding issue? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so is this something that can be fixed via firmware update?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't see that its been covered in here but has anyone tried watching Wonder Woman through the built in HBO max app? It is beyond unwatchable with constant stuttering and dropped frames. I saw on Reddit that it may be an encoding issue? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so is this something that can be fixed via firmware update?
Yeah, this was pretty much unwatchable via the Roku app. Had to switch to the Android TV version of the app on our NVidia Shield. Actually, that was having some issues, too, but not nearly as bad.

I have seen actual news reports about this being widespread...so I think HBO Max has a lot of work to do to iron out their 4K delivery...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, this was pretty much unwatchable via the Roku app. Had to switch to the Android TV version of the app on our NVidia Shield. Actually, that was having some issues, too, but not nearly as bad.

I have seen actual news reports about this being widespread...so I think HBO Max has a lot of work to do to iron out their 4K delivery...
Yeah I agree. They have a great slate of movies releasing on the HBO Max app this year so I'm hoping that they can get this issue fixed soon

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
AT&T fix something?

·
Registered
TCL 75Q825 - Onkyo 696 - 5.2.2 - Sierra1 FCR, SVS Prime Elevation SS + FH, Rythmik LV12F x 2
163 Posts
Here is a picture of my screen on a starfield screen with no light. If I add a white or light object it is perfect inky black like the middle of this picture.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
After watching it in my TV, the same thing happens. It sort of “fixes” once the spaceship passes. Maybe it is a “fault” of recording or on purpose. Who knows.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@tcl please bring the 85 inch vidrian to ces that you have, we are ready. TCL is suppose to have some industry breaking televisions at their ces presentation. It supposed to be 1st tier (Samsung,sony,LG) competition beating 2nd gen mini led televisions at ces and they are supposed to come to market quicker than the competition. I hope my Intel is correct and I can't wait.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, the TV does do Atmos with the Disney+ app. The TV needs to be set to AUDIO -> S/PDIF and eARC (Auto Passthrough) and the AVR needs to be connected to the ARC port on the TV.
Now: I could never get ARC to work correctly with my Marantz (Denon) 5.1 AVR. No sound period. So I bought a Vizio Atmos soundbar, plugged it into the eARC port on the TV and get Atmos perfectly. Then I plugged my Marantz into the Soundbar HDMI input to pass through to the TV. Now I only use the AVR to listen to FM, and vinyl and an old C band satellite box.
Ugh, that's already how I have my system set up, so it looks like it's just not going to want to work just like the other ARC issue I have.

The TV when listening to built-in apps through my Denon 4400 does not trigger the ATMOS flag. When I turn the AVR off and use the TV's speakers, the ATMOS flag shows up in the upper right corner.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Ugh, that's already how I have my system set up, so it looks like it's just not going to want to work just like the other ARC issue I have.
Yea, sorry. I thought it was the TV, so I bought a Atmos soundbar, so I could return it if it was the TV, and just get the TV replaced, but it turned out to be the AVR <-> TV not speaking to each other. Disappointing, but in the end, the sound bar has Atmos and the AVR didnt, and this was a LOT cheaper and sounds better to me. I was shocked to be honest. I figured there was no way a soundbar would sound good. I was wrong.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I still find it strange that setting it to "passthrough" wouldn't trigger the Atmos flag. I mean isn't that what passthrough is supposed to mean? lol

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
First it would have to put the AVR into Dolby Digital Plus mode. That is the mode the flag for Atmos subdata is sent. Now, it you are getting DD+ but not Atmos, its possible the cable doesnt have enough bandwidth, or the AVR ARC port doesnt support enough bandwidth. Im not an expert on Dolby tho. Im not sure if the Optical output has enough bandwidth for DD+ and Atmos either. If you are getting DD+ on the amp, you should be getting Atmos tho, IF the show is in Atmos. The Mandalorian does for sure.

·
Registered
411 Posts
First it would have to put the AVR into Dolby Digital Plus mode. That is the mode the flag for Atmos subdata is sent. Now, it you are getting DD+ but not Atmos, its possible the cable doesnt have enough bandwidth, or the AVR ARC port doesnt support enough bandwidth. Im not an expert on Dolby tho. Im not sure if the Optical output has enough bandwidth for DD+ and Atmos either. If you are getting DD+ on the amp, you should be getting Atmos tho, IF the show is in Atmos. The Mandalorian does for sure.
So if my AVR is showing DD+ but the TV doesn't show the Atmos flag, I might still be getting Atmos? I know the HDMI cables can do Atmos because they work for UHD BDs and Atmos through my Comcast box.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
So if my AVR is showing DD+ but the TV doesn't show the Atmos flag, I might still be getting Atmos? I know the HDMI cables can do Atmos because they work for UHD BDs and Atmos through my Comcast box.
My TV only shows Dolby Vision on the screen when it starts playing The Mandalorian trailer. The Soundbar itself lights up a green LED showing it is in Atmos, but the TV does not say Atmos. Since I do not have a AVR with Atmos, I cannot tell you what it displays, but it should say DD+ or Atmos, I would think on the display.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
@tcl please bring the 85 inch vidrian to ces that you have, we are ready. TCL is suppose to have some industry breaking televisions at their ces presentation. It supposed to be 1st tier (Samsung,sony,LG) competition beating 2nd gen mini led televisions at ces and they are supposed to come to market quicker than the competition. I hope my Intel is correct and I can't wait.
We’ve heard all this before... TCL blew it last year and probably will this year again. I have no confidence in them now. They wasted a great opportunity

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
411 Posts
My TV only shows Dolby Vision on the screen when it starts playing The Mandalorian trailer. The Soundbar itself lights up a green LED showing it is in Atmos, but the TV does not say Atmos. Since I do not have a AVR with Atmos, I cannot tell you what it displays, but it should say DD+ or Atmos, I would think on the display.
Okay, that's pretty interesting. Playing the Mandalorian through the AVR doesn't show ATMOS on the screen, but through the TV speakers it does show on screen. So pretty much exactly what you're experiencing. It's encouraging that your soundbar lights up though, so maybe the DD+ stream does indeed include the ATMOS data.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
What does your AVR show on its screen? I think the Marantz and Denons show ATMOS on the screen

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I want to be wowed by TCL. So far except for you, there have been no real information leaks. Whereas, Samsung is doing a good job hyping their 2021 "Neo QLED" (mini LED) TVs -- even inviting journalists/bloggers to pre-CES touch and feel session. LG started the pre-CES hype last week, but Samsung has beaten them so far.

Samsung demonstrated the degree of difference by putting a petri dish containing 100 traditional backlight LEDs next to another containing its New LEDs. The traditional LEDs are big and clear, filling their dish, while the New LEDs genuinely look like nothing more than sparkly grains of sand. Samsung says the New LEDs are a fortieth the size of traditional LEDs, but even that doesn't convey how incredibly tiny they appear.

Instead of a lens, Samsung's New LED backlights use a new 'micro layer' that guides the light through the quantum dots (which provide the set's colours). The result is apparently no light leakage or blooming, and because the New LEDs are so much smaller, significantly more of them can be packed in. One slide we saw referred to "ten-times greater density"... Given that Samsung's top 2020 model, the Q950TS, is said to have around 500 dimming zones (Samsung generally doesn't offer specific numbers), we're potentially talking about around 5000 zones for these 2021 Neo QLEDs.

Of course, Samsung isn't the first TV brand to utilize
Mini LEDs, but the company claims that its are the smallest and most precise out there
Where's TCL? Keeping everything under wraps...

TCL CES 2021 SCHEDULE

Global Press Announcement
Time: 11:00-11:30 AM
Date: January 11th, 2021

North American Product Spotlight
Time: 1:00-1:30 PM
DURATION 30 MINUTES
Date: January 12th, 2021

Global Product Spotlight
Time: 7:30-8:00 AM
Date: January 13th, 2021

For starters, TCL says it will show off “next-gen mini LED and future display technologies” on January 11 2021 at 11 AM ET. The firm says it will also be revealing smart home appliances and if it’s anything like CES 2020, we’d expect phones too.

TCL will be streaming a North American product spotlight on January 12 at 1 PM ET, while a global product spotlight will be streamed on January 13 at 7:30 AM ET.
How is 30 minutes enough time to show/tell us all the goodies for U.S. this year? Yes, I know they will also talk about them somewhat in first session January 11 at 11am. I guess "30 minutes" is for YouTube video.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
TCL od zero is a game changer, some of my insiders info has leaked out. Search the internet for TCL od zero. I am not allowed to talk about it but again TCL might own 2021
Found this:

Go to 23:15 - 25:15 in the video! Discusses TCL OD ZERO leak!

Also this:

Model numbers sound like Europe, but still it discusses the TCL OD ZERO technology.

Found this TCL website page through search engine, but it's locked. Probably will be accessible after the CES presentation...

View attachment 3076306

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
My Denon 4400 shows Dolby Digital+ for The Mandalorian on the built-in app. It shows Dolby Atmos for discs with Atmos.
That is very strange. Unless it is just the design of the Denon, if its getting DD+ it should be getting Atmos. Can you hear the height speakers playing sound during the Mandalorian scenes where the ships are going overhead or during the fight scenes?

2441 - 2460 of 2509 Posts