AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2509 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
That would put the 6 series 55" at about the same price point at Vizio's OLED. Guessing the 65" about the same. The 75" would be the same price the 2019 8 series has been selling at. Are they mini-LEDS? I get confused with all this series crap. So far, all I can tell is that I would get 8K instead of 4K, and a thinner TV, neither of which would be of any concern to me. If they didnt have 4X the mini-LED zones, the 8K would be dimmer than the 4K would it not?
Yes, 8K 6-Series will be mini-LED. But won't be the "OD ZERO" 3rd gen mini-LED like the 8K 8-Series. At least that's what I understood.

Yes, 8K would be normally be dimmer unless TCL compensates in some way:

OD Zero also reduces the distance between the mini-LED backlight layer and the LCD display layer to 0mm, so you get an unbelievably high brightness and deep contrast from an ultra-slim display.

At least for the 8-Series which will have this new OD ZERO technology. I don't know about the 2021 6-Series.

·
UHD Addict
37,974 Posts
Yes, 8K 6-Series will be mini-LED. But won't be the "OD ZERO" 3rd gen mini-LED like the 8K 8-Series. At least that's what I understood.

Yes, 8K would be normally be dimmer unless TCL compensates in some way:

At least for the 8-Series which will have this new OD ZERO technology. I don't know about the 2021 6-Series.
Hopefully they do have good brightness. HEck the 2020 SOny 8K LCD set is supposed to hit 2500 nits of brightness.

I guess it worked out for the best that the four 8 Series sets I went through did not work out for me. Because many of the sets coming out in 2021 seem to have even better specs or good specs for lower tier sets. So I'll be looking again later this year. And hopefully my first choice will still be TCL.

Although this time I think I will go for a 65" set and move my 2018, 65", 6 Series to the living room. I kind of wish I had gone for the 65" 8 Series when it was super low around labor day. Instead of going for the 75" set. Since I should have just purchased the better set for my primary viewing location instead of my secondary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to steal anyone's thunder, but this is the discussion from another thread:

Thanks to @randy1911! His information has been totally correct!

Sounds like a 9 series is coming sometime.
I wouldn't be surprised if the mystery 9 series is a qd oled I have read they either bought samsung displays tech or manufactured it them selfs. Really hope they have a 7 series everything the 8 series has but in 4k.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I am just glad I got the 2019 Series 8. I actually watch movies now because they look and sound so good. I never watched movies before. I even bought an LG 4K bluray player to go with it.
If they make it any better (and not just thinner) they should do just fine. I just don't see TCL going OLED when they have all their factories set up for LED, but who knows. While everyone is waiting for Vidrian (no show) and ODZero (end of year??), Ill be enjoying my Series 8 :devilish:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Not to steal anyone's thunder, but this is the discussion from another thread:

Thanks to @randy1911! His information has been totally correct!

Sounds like a 9 series is coming sometime.
The 85" 8 Series will be interesting. It is interesting TCL refers OD Zero as 3rd generation. Maybe Vidrian that never came out was 2nd gen?

·
Registered
18,694 Posts
As I posted in the 6 thread, my Best Buy return window now says 1yr. Does anyone know why for sure that is and if it will hold up? I be the guys in the local stores will be confused by that- the phone CSRs all state that's not possible.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
As I posted in the 6 thread, my Best Buy return window now says 1yr. Does anyone know why for sure that is and if it will hold up? I be the guys in the local stores will be confused by that- the phone CSRs all state that's not possible.
The Series 8's did that too. It will disappear when your original return period ends. Best Buys website is so screwed up. It let me add a RTX3080 card to my cart, then tells me they dont have any. Ive given up on their website.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
18,694 Posts
The Series 8's did that too. It will disappear when your original return period ends. Best Buys website is so screwed up. It let me add a RTX3080 card to my cart, then tells me they dont have any. Ive given up on their website.
Yeah, the CSRs are all outsourced and are totally unhelpful. I should have 30 days because of how much I spent but they put the wrong amount in so I only have a few more. They said they would fix it but have not.

TV has a defect and would like to exchange it but they are OOS.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the mystery 9 series is a qd oled I have read they either bought samsung displays tech or manufactured it them selfs. Really hope they have a 7 series everything the 8 series has but in 4k.
Mystery 9 Series will be "better than OLED". Maybe Vidrian + OD ZERO?

The 2nd of the three 85" XL Collection TVs right now is slated as a 7-Series model number. But @randy1911 and I agree that doesn't make sense, since it will be 4K and yet doesn't seem to have mini-LED. It would more logically fit into the 5-Series category... Of course, the mini-LED spec can change before release. Still, though both 2021 6-Series and 8-Series will be 8K only == (both with mini-LED) and a new 7-Series wedged in between would be 4k? :rolleyes: The only way that would fit is if they add at least the 6-Series mini-LED to this 7-Series 85" and also keep continuing to sell the 2020 4K 6-Series into 2022. Then 6-Series isn't the hard 8K line-in-the-sand as you move up through model numbers.

Here's more from @randy1911 from the TCL OD ZERO thread... I bolded important parts and the parenthetical comments in blue are mine, not his just to clarify a couple of things.

This is the most current info I have: TCL is shooting for a sub 3500 price point in the 3199 - 3499 price range for the top of the line 8k 85 inch TV. It will launch closer to end of 2nd quarter, early 3rd quarter at the latest, it won't be 2k around black Friday and it will be the most expensive launch in America so far for TCL. It will be their flagship and it will dictate what TCL does in the future, can they go up market or not. It will be priced under the halfway price point of Samsung premium 85 8k tvs.

TCL wants to be an industry leader in price and features. The price of the (8K 85" 8-Series) will not drop very much due to margins on the TV and expected demand. (However) If they don't sell, America will not get the unannounced model (new 9-Series?) at the end of 4th quarter. The 8k 85 maybe a bestbuy exclusive that's still being worked out.

The three XL collection tvs are, in America are 4 series, 5 series in US/7 series in UK but that's still being worked out, the issue is the 7 series is numerically above the 6 series but the 7 series xl collection is not 8k and the 6 series in US is 8k, so there is the crux of the issue. The 2nd xl collection tv is more like the 2020 6 series without 8k.

The 8k 85 inch TV will be an 8 series TV. 8 series as of now will only come in 75 and 85 inch models and maybe 65 inch but that's not confirmed and will be monitored by 65 inch sales
. The 2nd and 3rd xl collection models will launch within 60 days of each other but the 4 series xl collection should launch closer to the end of 1st quarter beginning of 2nd quarter.

All of my information can move 30 to 45 days in either direction as logistics, semiconductor production and Corona virus plays a big role. I do not work for TCL and I am buying a 85inch 8k xl collection tv, putting my pennies away now. TCL has the opportunity to overtake Samsung and be a dominant force in the TV game across the globe with hisense trying to establish a dominant place in the top 3.

The 8k 6 series will come in 55, 65 and 75 inch models.

The unannounced TV (new 9-Series?) will be industry shattering but it will cost above 3500 and be better than current oled.
There you go, you now know everything I know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I contacted a CSR about buying my 8 series last fall and it was a great experience. He gave me his cell and direct email and when I bought the TV got me the 5 year warranty for the price of the 3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
qd oled is better then oled because it adds quantum dots mentioned in the video just posted and 7 series with od zero at 4k would be better then a 8k 6 series because no wants 8k and it wouldn't have the new tech. It probably won't happen anyways, it was just a thought I wish would happen because thats the version I would want wouldn't have to pay the upcharge for 8k. Anyways probably looking at the new 8 series to buy when it gets released.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can't understand what they are talking about. What did the French guy say about Vidrian?
They're talking about European models, while also discussing the difference between Vidrian and OD ZERO. (Comparable results, but different methods. However Vidrian is theoretically better if refined more.) And will we ever see Vidrian? (He wouldn't give a definite reply, but I think we will. Possibly Vidrian + OD ZERO?)

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
At CES 2021, TCL put all other TV makers on notice: We’re just getting started

"One look at the TV landscape here at CES 2021, and it’s immediately apparent that TCL is continuing its rapid and unprecedented path to becoming the most important TV brand in the world."
I want to see their Sound Bars, and how their 5G phones compare to my Moto Edge 5G. With my old eyes with glasses, I highly doubt any improvement in television picture quality would be noticeable to me over the Series 8. I will say it is the best looking LED I have ever seen. I feel sorry for those that could not get a good panel. TCL needs to either improve their quality control, or their shipping, depending where the panel issues were coming from.
Had a Samsung QLED curved computer monitor with a panel issue, and they just finished coming to the house and replacing the entire panel. Basically removed the main control module and power supply module off one panel and screwed them to the new panel, and popped the back on. Took all of 15 minutes. So I can say Samsung service is top rate, and that is the #1 company TCL will have to dethrone.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I want to see their Sound Bars, and how their 5G phones compare to my Moto Edge 5G.

With my old eyes with glasses, I highly doubt any improvement in television picture quality would be noticeable to me over the Series 8. I will say it is the best looking LED I have ever seen.

I feel sorry for those that could not get a good panel. TCL needs to either improve their quality control, or their shipping, depending where the panel issues were coming from.
Yes, I'm curious about their top end Dolby Atmos sound bar coming at the end of the year. Will have subwoofer and wireless speakers. However by then I may have bought the new Samsung HW-950A Dolby Atmos/DTS sound bar.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I have the Vizio Atmos wireless soundbar now, but could move it to the bedroom if a better sub-$500 option comes out. The only thing this Vizio wont decode is the DTS 7.1 they use on 4K BluRays, but does switch to the simulated DTS which still sounds good. I refuse to pay $1200 for yet another giant AVR, and 4 more speakers when I might watch 1 movie a week. I am thinking most new movies will be released with ATMOS, so I am waiting to see.

2481 - 2500 of 2509 Posts