AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 994 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unfortunately this thread is kinds slow, so maybe I can get it going with some calibration discussion.

Does anyone know the difference between TV Brightness (not plain ol' "Brightness") and Backlight? It seems like you should just keep TV Brightness on "Brighter" and then change the backlight down to your viewing preference. Especially since I think the TV Brightness setting stays the same over all modes, so you would want it high for HDR viewing.

Also, what is everyone doing with the values below 50% on the iPQ app? Apparently the app doesn't calibrate those values. Also, I think it's best to keep the color space setting on AUTO.
Slower because not as many want to pay that much money for a tcl. When they had the bestbuy cnet discount that was probably the price the set should have been at launch.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Buyers might also be waiting for the 2020 mini LEDs
2019 was first-gen attempt. A lot of us are waiting to see if the 2nd gen revision is better and cheaper. The 2019 prices were way out of line for buyers not willing to take a chance on TCL at those prices. Had TCL made it more risk-free by a no-questions 3-yr warranty, they probably could have moved a bunch of these units.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
2019 was first-gen attempt. A lot of us are waiting to see if the 2nd gen revision is better and cheaper. The 2019 prices were way out of line for buyers not willing to take a chance on TCL at those prices. Had TCL made it more risk-free by a no-questions 3-yr warranty, they probably could have moved a bunch of these units.
Probably true although early adopter pricing is always high. If Sony/Samsung were first out with mini LED you can be sure the pricing would have been much higher

·
Registered
487 Posts
Unfortunately this thread is kinds slow, so maybe I can get it going with some calibration discussion.

Does anyone know the difference between TV Brightness (not plain ol' "Brightness") and Backlight? It seems like you should just keep TV Brightness on "Brighter" and then change the backlight down to your viewing preference. Especially since I think the TV Brightness setting stays the same over all modes, so you would want it high for HDR viewing.

Also, what is everyone doing with the values below 50% on the iPQ app? Apparently the app doesn't calibrate those values. Also, I think it's best to keep the color space setting on AUTO.
Brightness should technically be called black level. As you crank it up, the absolute black level rises and becomes more and more dark gray, and as you crank it down, more and more of the near black intensities merge with black (i.e., are crushed). Contrast is the opposite and should be called white level. As you adjust it more or less of the near white intensities are clipped. Backlight is the backlight intensity, which tells the TV how dim or bright the lights are to be. Think of it as a dimmer switch. Together the three determine the dynamic range of the picture.

The brighter through darker are actually presets limiting backlight so 100 backlight at brighter is more intense than 100 backlight at darker.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Brightness should technically be called black level. As you crack it up, the absolute black level rises and becomes more and more dark gray, and as you crank it down, more and more of the near black intensities merge with black (i.e., are crushed). Contrast is the opposite and should be called white level. As you adjust it more or less of the near white intensities are clipped. Backlight is the backlight intensity, which tells the TV how dim or bright the lights are to be. Think of it as a dimmer switch. Together the three determine the dynamic range of the picture.

The brighter through darker are actually presets limiting backlight so 100 backlight at brighter is more 8intense than 100 backlight at darker.

Right, but since "Brighter" at 0 backlight is really dim, is there any reason to have it on anything BUT "Brighter" and then just adjust down from 100 to your preference? I'm going to say no.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Right, but since "Brighter" at 0 backlight is really dim, is there any reason to have it on anything BUT "Brighter" and then just adjust down from 100 to your preference? I'm going to say no.
You are correct and I hadn't thought about it that way.

·
Registered
617 Posts
This will never happen from ANY manufacturer
To be clear, I only meant for failure due to manufacturing defects or normal operation. Don’t think they need to do it for all TVs but breaking into a market at the high-end will take more than just making the products.

Sony, Samsung, and LG (OLED) will always be considered “better” and more established until another maker does something different to shake things up. I don’t believe “out-teching’ will be that way.

Never might be “maybe” once they see the long path doing it this way won’t work for most budget makers.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You are correct and I hadn't thought about it that way.

I have a 2018 6 Series and played with the settings. On my TV, Brighter+backlight 0 looks the same in SDR as Darker+backlight default of 20, the latter being the recommended setting by Rtings. With this change I can now keep my TV in Brighter mode all the time and use Dark HDR and Dark DV modes when watching HDR content. The backlight setting in HDR modes is a default of 100, which I like in combination with the dark HDR modes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a 2018 6 Series and played with the settings. On my TV, Brighter+backlight 0 looks the same in SDR as Darker+backlight default of 20, the latter being the recommended setting by Rtings. With this change I can now keep my TV in Brighter mode all the time and use Dark HDR and Dark DV modes when watching HDR content. The backlight settinmg in HDR modes is a default of 100, which I like in combination with the dark HDR modes.

Nice, thanks for reporting your findings. I'm sure the 8 series would be similar. It definitely makes it better not having to always change the TV Brightness setting for each type of input and format!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just wanted to publicly update my jailbar issue. I received my replacement TV today, and I must say it looks pretty darn good! No more jailbars while watching hockey! Everyone from TCL was great and thorough while rectifying my issue. The old TV looked amazing except for the jailbars, so I have no doubt this one will be great! Couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just wanted to publicly update my jailbar issue. I received my replacement TV today, and I must say it looks pretty darn good! No more jailbars while watching hockey! Everyone from TCL was great and thorough while rectifying my issue. The old TV looked amazing except for the jailbars, so I have no doubt this one will be great! Couldn't be happier!
Good for you. Enjoy the new set.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Going to get a 8 65 tomorrow

Like it says, been following the best cheap 65" sets I can see and buy locally. Narrowed it down to the Vizio Quantem X and the TCL 65" 825. Costco has a really good price on the Vizio right now, but the TCL is available for more money at Best Buy but the reviews lately for the TCL seem to say it has better black levels and color accuracy even if HDR isn't as searing bright, and the local dimming is probably slightly better. Might be able to get a better price talking to the manager for the TV department tomorrow too.

I had a Hisense 55H8C that for what I paid had excellent black levels and the colors and brightness were pretty good while pushing red a bit. It died a week ago finally, they'll probably fix it but want a better set anyways.

It looked pretty good in the store, bright, flesh tones were nice, and black levels looked good on the demo, but so did the Vizio.
When Hisense introduced the H8C sets they were breaking into the US market and offered a 4 year warranty, so yes some manufacturers use a great warranty to drive sales on new sets. Mine still has about a year left.

Hoping I like the set and it lasts a while, we'll see what happens tomorrow and hunting for discount codes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm interested in the 8 series, but am having a hard time finding reviews that I trust other than what I can see on this thread. I'm also kinda a noob, so a lot of this is over my head. I'm in the market for a new TV soon and lost in a myriad of technical details that I am not knowledgeable enough about to make an informed decision. What I do know is I have seen some OLED screens and really can't get over the "fuzzy" (for lack of a better term) quality, especially when an picture is projecting an image with a dark contrast behind it. This, coupled with the risk of a burn in on the diodes has me looking toward QLED. At first, I was impressed with what I read about the 8 series and the potential of mini-LED tech, but this thread has me questioning that choice...but again, I don't know enough. I mean, given the issues highlighted here, I can't tell if it's an issue with users being unable to properly calibrate their TVs or what the problem is with the blacks. If it is solved by a professional calibration, I'm happy to pay for such a thing if I decide to go this route, as I'm certainly not experienced enough to do a good calibration at my experience level.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I would really love a laymen review of this product. When I go looking for reviews I can wrap my head around, I don't trust that they're not long winded advertisements. The user based reviews I find are too over my head. Can someone help me understand the pros and cons a little better, or perhaps otherwise point me in a different direction if this TV may not be right for me?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Added first impressions

Well went out right after noon today, spotted the guy that helped me last night, said hi and waited for him to finish up with his customers. It took a bit so watched the 825 some more and especially from a distance the picture was brighter, better color balanced, and black level and grey scale was great. It really stood out from the rest of the cheaper and some bigger sets on the wall. Guy finally came over and I asked him if the manager was able to offer a better price and he held up a card offering 100 off so I said yes. We were going to try and drag it home but it wouldn't fit in the PT Cruiser Mom brought. I signed up for the Best Buy card because it offered a extra 150 in Best Buy bucks and they will deliver it to my living room Wednesday for free and will take my now declared unrepairable Hisense for 20 bucks to recycle. I told him if the panel doesn't hit the panel lottery I'll be sending it back and we were done. ;) I'll post when I get it set up and give my hopefully good impression of it. I'll pay off the credit card when I get the first bill.

Well I've been using it since this last post and overall very impressed with it.

Black goes black, color balance is very good, and it's bright even in 1080p content. I backed off the color and brightness levels a couple of clicks to get my cable feed and hdr color less neon bright in reds and uber happy.

My one major complaint is the hdmi 4/ARC port has been picky about displaying the cable box feed, I think it is picky about the cable and hdmi mode used. I found the TCL /Roku advanced picture settings app and had a look and it seems to work but haven't tweaked anything with it as the gray scale and color was pretty good out of the box with some minor adjustments. I use the normal color temp setting, normal brightness and picture mode, high local contrast, action smoothing at medium and it looks nice. HDR modes are stunning and it has a big HDR bug in the top right when HDR is detected. It will also tell you the full resolution and HDR mode in use when you push the ok button.

Unfortunately it is back up to 2000 at Best Buy but it should drop again to clear them out soon. I'm keeping mine unless something blows up and have been watching HDR demos and movies a lot and enjoying my much improved picture on everything I feed it.

I can't seem to find a version of the iPQ app that will install on my Moto G5plus if anyone knows of a early version that will install to play with till I borrow a iPhone or pixel that works. ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unfortunately it is back up to 2000 at Best Buy but it should drop again to clear them out soon. I'm keeping mine unless something blows up and have been watching HDR demos and movies a lot and enjoying my much improved picture on everything I feed it.

Are you still liking it a month later? Best Buy has it on sale again, probably since the 2020 models are coming soon.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Are you still liking it a month later? Best Buy has it on sale again, probably since the 2020 models are coming soon.

I’m still very pleased. Even thought I’ve had it for a couple of months, I still frequently get those “wow” moments when watching new content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Yes, it still looks great to me. My only complaint is that the fourth arc hdmi port is still picky and will drop the cable box sometimes till I either unplug the cable and pop it back in or change the hdmi mode in settings. It's very bright and crisp on 1080p cable, and just awesome on good HDR demos and most 4k HDR movies. I haven't bothered to experiment with swapping cables around or ports yet so some other combination might fix it or eventually another firmware update will do it. The other 3 ports seem fine though.
For the price they are at again I'd take a chance on it if you're on the fence. Make sure the panel looks good and the ports are happy and live with it after that. I'm still seeing really great blacks here with no blooming. Ocasionaly I'll see some ripples through areas with a lot of moving fine light and dark areas like on fir but so far nothing that makes me want to send it back. The other set you might want to consider is the Vizio Quantem X at Costco if their prices are back down again.

241 - 260 of 994 Posts