AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2769 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
That sounds normal Bob. You can increase the overall brightness with the TV Brightness setting on the first page without affecting that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sounds normal Bob. You can increase the overall brightness with the TV Brightness setting on the first page without affecting that.
Thanks for your help here in understanding the tv better. The tv looks so damn good on nearly everything else, I didn’t want to give up on it yet.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Yea, I dont know what the deal is with the Local Contrast on OFF, LOW and MEDIUM, but you will get the 'blobs' if you turn it off of HIGH. I never change mine. I don't see them on HIGH though. I used the app and calibrated the whites (or you can use the RTINGS.COM settings if you dont have an Iphone or PIxel), then entered their color settings and it looks as good as my OLED. There are two apps, the ROKU app lets you make those fine changes to white balance and color balance manually, and the TCL calibration app, which only runs on Iphones or google pixels, is for set by set calibration. I entered the RTINGS.COM settings, then when a friend with a pixel came over, we tried it, and it barely changed, so those settings were really close.

Reactions: BobATL

·
Registered
230 Posts
never played infamous son decided to download on my ps5 and try it out on this tv. The 60 fps is so smooth and its looks great for a 7 year old game. but the hdr is what made me fall in love with this tv all over again its blinding on that game lol. i found myself just standing around multiple times taking it all in

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I never could get my Denon to work with ANY software version on the TCL. Bought a Sony 1080, and it worked perfectly.
It was an older 5.1 version without Atmos though. Soundbar worked, but Denon never did. Never figured out what the issue was.

·
UHD Addict
38,233 Posts
Thanks for the tip! So does every tv look like that if not set to high?? Why would you choose anything else!!
All the sets I went through did.
Although your set looks good compared to the 75" sets I went through. The ones I had showed much more clouding.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I wonder what causes that. In theory, with local dimming off, the panel should be the same. Its almost like some leds are brighter than others, almost like they are different distances from the screen at different spots on the matrix.
I wonder if someone calibrated the set to the point where the last visible blob was gone (with local dimming off), if there would be any noticeable difference in the 10% gray or 100% white screens.
Ive noticed on the Samsung forum, their mini-LEDs are having the same issues.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Ok what I noticed last night whipe watching Tenet is I can have cloudy corners in some scenes. Then in others that are basically identical looking have no cloudiness at all. It looks beautiful at times. It is really weird. I can have some dark scenes look so amazingly black and then 1 minute later have the blobby corners again. So it is definitely not the panel. It has to be something in the algorithm causing it. I had a picture I took to show the cloudiness in one scene. Then when I was getting ready to post it, the next scene was beautiful inky black all the way to the edge. So I just said the heck with it. At times this tv does look better than my LG oled. So I will keep it and not complain.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
What version software is it running? You might not have got the 9.4.0 Build 4206-88 yet.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
What version software is it running? You might not have got the 9.4.0 Build 4206-88 yet.
Yes I have the latest. But my tv was calibrated prior to the latest version.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
ever since the earc update my vizio soundbar pops and and cuts out every time i boot up the tv. i have to unplug soundbar on every boot up and its good rest of the day unless i turn tv off again
I don't think eArc works properly or consistently on a lot of different TVs. I'm had numerous eArc/Arc issues on several different TVs and if you go to any TV manufacturer's forums people complain about the eArc. The tech is just janky.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Can anyone explain why the TCL has a one year Best Buy return? Without getting into any China conspiracies?
Do NOT count on the 1-year Best Buy return. Assume you won't get it. Or don't be surprised if at some point it simply disappears in your account.

For some people, they have found in recent months that buying a TCL TV at Best Buy mysteriously shows a 12-month return period. However many other people do not see that in their accounts -- or they see it briefly and then it disappears.

This is from this 2019 8-Series thread:

I bought mine Sept of last year still shows returnable until Sept 2021. Best purchase I have made by a mile.
Mine did for a while, but no longer shows returnable. Doesnt show Return period Ended or Not Returnable either.
=======
Best Buy won't talk about it officially, and has never announced any such program.

A Best Buy employee in the forums said it was Best Buy's response to the few TCL Android OS 4-Series (NOT the Roku models!) having the reported security backdoor problem. This issue ONLY affected half the U.S. TCL 4-series models (the other half are Roku OS) and none of the U.S. 5-series, 6-Series, 8-series (all those are Roku) or anything higher than a few 4-Series models.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Can anyone explain why the TCL has a one year Best Buy return? Without getting into any China conspiracies?
Originally it was because parts were unavailable to fix them, plus several other reasons given by Best Buy, but my return window disappeared, and I would not count on that being real.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Originally it was because parts were unavailable to fix them, plus several other reasons given by Best Buy, but my return window disappeared, and I would not count on that being real. My store manager told me they knew nothing about it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I remember what you wrote, even though you deleted it. ;) You said you thought 2021 TVs won't be better than this TV.

Flagship mini-LED 2021 TVs (LG, Sony, Samsung, TCL, HiSense) will be better than 2019 TVs, especially after Q1 ends and all the 2021 TVs start hitting the U.S. in Q2 and Q3. Watch out especially for the 2021 TCL 8-Series OD ZERO in Q3.

However, this 2019 8-Series TV is still excellent right now and is quite worth the discounted price. The specs have held up well and it will still beat many mid-tier 2021 TVs.

If my mother's TV died tomorrow (she has a 60" 1080p 2014 LG plasma, like we do at our house), I would seriously consider buying this 75" TCL 4K 120Hz TV for her.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I remember what you wrote, even though you deleted it. ;) You said you thought 2021 TVs won't be better than this TV.

Flagship mini-LED 2021 TVs (LG, Sony, Samsung, TCL, HiSense) will be better than 2019 TVs, especially after Q1 ends and all the 2021 TVs start hitting the U.S. in Q2 and Q3. Watch out especially for the 2021 TCL 8-Series OD ZERO in Q3.

However, this 2019 8-Series TV is still excellent right now and is quite worth the discounted price. The specs have held up well and it will still beat many mid-tier 2021 TVs.

If my mother's TV died tomorrow (she has a 60" 1080p 2014 LG plasma, like we do at our house), I would seriously consider buying this 75" TCL 4K 120Hz TV for her.
I hate it when people respond to deleted comments, it defeats the whole point! But yeah, I'm tempted. I ordered it but may cancel, I don't need it and I don't trust BB to honor the return, my local BBs are really difficult to deal with. Heck they are making me go through hell just to get a Geek Squad person to look at the HDMI CEC issues I'm having on my LG CX and I'm a GS Premium Customer and have a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally it was because parts were unavailable to fix them, plus several other reasons given by Best Buy, but my return window disappeared, and I would not count on that being real.
I ordered it but may cancel, I don't need it and I don't trust BB to honor the return even though their CS has confirmed that it is real but I would have to deal with my local BB if I decide to return it and my local BB is AWFUL. Heck they are making me go through hell just to get a Geek Squad person to look at the HDMI CEC issues I'm having on my LG CX and I'm a GS Premium Customer and have a 5 year warranty. I eventually gave up and I have a 5 year GS Warranty! It'll be easier for me to go through LG to fix my TV, but I shouldn't have to. So pissed at them and LG for putting me into this situation. But like I said it seems like HDMI CEC is broken on a lot of TVs.

2701 - 2720 of 2769 Posts