AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2769 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I hate it when people respond to deleted comments, it defeats the whole point! But yeah, I'm tempted. I ordered it but may cancel, I don't need it and I don't trust BB to honor the return, my local BBs are really difficult to deal with. Heck they are making me go through hell just to get a Geek Squad person to look at the HDMI CEC issues I'm having on my LG CX and I'm a GS Premium Customer and have a 5 year warranty.
Ah, sorry, but I was responding to the comment I read, even if you changed your mind. I can go back and edit the post to remove your quote and say, "someone said". :giggle:

Mostly I was following up to all the quite ridiculous articles I was reading in February and early March 2021about the "Best TVs of 2021". Some examples:
Spoiler alert. All click bait. Not a single 2021 TV in the bunch! They were all 2020 TVs, already released. WHY? Because there are no 2021 TVs released yet in the U.S.! In North America, all new TVs come in Q2 and Q3, a few stragglers in Q4. So, NO these are NOT the "Best TVs of 2021." These articles should all be titled the "Best TVs Released in 2020 you can buy right now in 2021". But these sites make referral commissions if you click through and buy one of these TVs. So, they aren't going to admit these are basically inventory clearance TVs or soon will be...

Such a "Best TVs of 2021" would be just as arrogant or stupid as making a "Best of 2021 Movies" list in February or March. You haven't even gotten to summer blockbuster season yet or autumn Oscar dramas. You can't make a "BEST" of any year list just two months into the year! :mad:

However, yes, this TCL 8-Series from 2019 is even included on one of the lists. Just know that when actual 2021 TVs are released these lists will be soon forgotten.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I think the Sony A90J is out...in some sizes. LG's aren't due til May. TCL in Q3, Vizio out now but buggy. This chip shortage, glass shortage, people shortage is just killing being able to buy anything new.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think the Sony A90J is out...in some sizes. LG's aren't due til May. TCL in Q3, Vizio out now but buggy. This chip shortage, glass shortage, people shortage is just killing being able to buy anything new.
OK, then I stand corrected on Sony. I know Samsung flagship won't hit U.S. until April. We are seeing media reviews in Australia right now and will see some in the next week in U.S. publications. But actually getting one in your home will be April (Q2). And yes, HiSense, LG and TCL also after Q1. Well, we may see that 85" TCL 4-Series "end of March" but we'll see when actual deliveries are. ;)

But when those articles were written there was no Sony A90J out, I don't think. Otherwise it would have been on a list.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ah, sorry, but I was responding to the comment I read, even if you changed your mind. I can go back and edit the post to remove your quote and say, "someone said". :giggle:

Mostly I was following up to all the quite ridiculous articles I was reading in February and early March 2021about the "Best TVs of 2021". Some examples:
Spoiler alert. All click bait. Not a single 2021 TV in the bunch! They were all 2020 TVs, already released. WHY? Because there are no 2021 TVs released yet in the U.S.! In North America, all new TVs come in Q2 and Q3, a few stragglers in Q4. So, NO these are NOT the "Best TVs of 2021." These articles should all be titled the "Best TVs Released in 2020 you can buy right now in 2021". But these sites make referral commissions if you click through and buy one of these TVs. So, they aren't going to admit these are basically inventory clearance TVs or soon will be...

Such a "Best TVs of 2021" would be just as arrogant or stupid as making a "Best of 2021 Movies" list in February or March. You haven't even gotten to summer blockbuster season yet or autumn Oscar dramas. You can't make a "BEST" of any year list just two months into the year! :mad:

However, yes, this TCL 8-Series from 2019 is even included on one of the lists. Just know that when actual 2021 TVs are released these lists will be soon forgotten.

View attachment 3114297
On paper, I'm not enamored with any of the 2021 TVs. Again, I'm speaking as someone who has the LG CX. I think the 8 Series seems like it'd be better than the Samsung Q90a - TCL has more dimming zones and dolby vision. From a casual Gamer's perspective the Samsung only has one HDMI 2.1 port so even that's not an advantage over the 8. The 8 also gets brighter - based on early reviews and like I said I owned the 65 inch version of this TV when it first came out and loved it. The black crush was my deal breaker.

I already have an OLED, 2 of them a 55 B7 and 65 CX, so I really would like something different and to give LCD another go. I hate Sony and their Anti-consumer policies and the pricing on the A90J is ridiculous, but I was still curious about it because of the Bravia Core stuff. But TCL and Hisense bug me as they don't release TVs until September/October and are usually hard to find and like I said, I think the 8 Series with the 1 year return policy - assuming BB honored it, would be a great deal.

I think all these Youtubers shilling for the A90J is ridiculous, as though everyone has $3,000 to spend on a 55 inch TV. I do, but I wouldn't pay that kind of money and the thing that annoys me is some of these "reviewers" review TVs without bothering to install the day one patches and other reviewers review them during the first week and don't follow up, we all know it takes a good 6 months and a few firmware updates before you can really fairly judge these TVs.... So yeah, declaring a best TV of 2021 in February is stupid.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
. So yeah, declaring a best TV of 2021 in February is stupid.
Totally agree. The main reason I bought the TCL was to watch burn in channels, and because honestly, a 77" TV wont fit. This 75" has exactly 1/2" of space on each side before it hits the doorway trim. A 77" would hang over the doorway about an inch, and I know someone would walk into it and break it. If I hadn't lucked into a perfect panel, I probably would have kept the 65" Vizio M series I had. It just had such bad blooming, it annoyed me.

I like this TV. The only two sets I would consider replacing it with right now would be the 65" Vizio OLED or the LG CX. There just arent any LCD sets out yet I could afford, that would have as good a picture as this Series 8. No DV no buy, and I totally agree with the Sony "Sell it for this, or dont sell it" BS. The only reason I think the A90J is selling is because its the ONLY new one out, and the heat sink "should" mean the panel will last a lot longer. Maybe.

Reactions: malexandria

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
the thing that annoys me is some of these "reviewers" review TVs without bothering to install the day one patches and other reviewers review them during the first week and don't follow up, we all know it takes a good 6 months and a few firmware updates before you can really fairly judge these TVs.... So yeah, declaring a best TV of 2021 in February is stupid.
Agreed! When at that point, no 2021 TVs were actually released yet.

On paper, I'm not enamored with any of the 2021 TVs. Again, I'm speaking as someone who has the LG CX. I think the 8 Series seems like it'd be better than the Samsung Q90a - TCL has more dimming zones and dolby vision. From a casual Gamer's perspective the Samsung only has one HDMI 2.1 port so even that's not an advantage over the 8. The 8 also gets brighter - based on early reviews and like I said I owned the 65 inch version of this TV when it first came out and loved it. The black crush was my deal breaker.
Do you mean the 2019 8-Series or the 2021 8-Series (OD ZERO)? Both may be better than the 4K Q90a.

Of course the 8-Series OD ZERO will be better than the Samsung Q90a. The 8K 8-Series OD ZERO is using the same CSOT panel as the Samsung 8K QN900A. THAT is the TV to compare the OD ZERO to. If you haven't kept up... Last August, Samsung bought 12% of CSOT, TCL's panel manufacturing subsidiary. They struck a deal, which in a joint press release they promised "increased strategic cooperation." The result is Samsung gets these 8K panels first, they are using in the QN900A and QN800A, and releases in Q2 while TCL holds off and releases their version in Q3. Samsung gets to claim it's "their" panels, because they own 12% of the CSOT manufacturing facilities and have an observer on the CSOT board of directors.

NO, they won't be the exact same TVs, but they use the exact same panels. Samsung adds their AI upscaler and sound, TCL will add theirs. TCL's will have Dolby Vision.

They both have 4 HDMI ports.

Whereas the Samsung 4K Q90a is warmed over 2020 TCL 6-Series tech.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Totally agree. The main reason I bought the TCL was to watch burn in channels, and because honestly, a 77" TV wont fit. This 75" has exactly 1/2" of space on each side before it hits the doorway trim. A 77" would hang over the doorway about an inch, and I know someone would walk into it and break it. If I hadn't lucked into a perfect panel, I probably would have kept the 65" Vizio M series I had. It just had such bad blooming, it annoyed me.

I like this TV. The only two sets I would consider replacing it with right now would be the 65" Vizio OLED or the LG CX. There just arent any LCD sets out yet I could afford, that would have as good a picture as this Series 8. No DV no buy, and I totally agree with the Sony "Sell it for this, or dont sell it" BS. The only reason I think the A90J is selling is because its the ONLY new one out, and the heat sink "should" mean the panel will last a lot longer. Maybe.
My problem is and why I bought and cancelled my order 3 times is that I know I love the 65 inch, but really don't need another TV, but I'm also scared it's going to sell out soon and then I'll completely miss out on this deal. I was thinking it may be worth getting and keeping until the new 8K TCL comes out. On paper that looks promising.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Agreed! When at that point, no 2021 TVs were actually released yet.

Do you mean the 2019 8-Series or the 2021 8-Series (OD ZERO)? Both may be better than the 4K Q90a.

Of course the 8-Series OD ZERO will be better than the Samsung Q90a. The 8K 8-Series OD ZERO is using the same CSOT panel as the Samsung 8K QN900A. THAT is the TV to compare the OD ZERO to. If you haven't kept up... Last August, Samsung bought 12% of CSOT, TCL's panel manufacturing subsidiary. They struck a deal, which in a joint press release they promised "increased strategic cooperation." The result is Samsung gets these 8K panels first, they are using in the QN900A and QN800A, and releases in Q2 while TCL holds off and releases their version in Q3. Samsung gets to claim it's "their" panels, because they own 12% of the CSOT manufacturing facilities and have an observer on the CSOT board of directors.

NO, they won't be the exact same TVs, but they use the exact same panels. Samsung adds their AI upscaler and sound, TCL will add theirs. TCL's will have Dolby Vision.

They both have 4 HDMI ports.

Whereas the Samsung 4K Q90a is warmed over 2020 TCL 6-Series tech.
I would bet the Q90a is most likely using the Series 8 Tech with less dimming zones.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I would bet the Q90a is most likely using the Series 8 Tech with less dimming zones.
@randy1911 says no. CSOT/Samsung/TCL is reserving the OD ZERO stuff for the flagship 8K panels.

The Q800A will be a step above the 2021 8K 6-Series, while the 2021 8-Series is using the EXACT same panel as the QN900A. He even gave us the tech specs to look for in the QN900A and they're spot on. He gave us that before the QN900A was released. 8-Series coming in Q3 but he already knows the specs.

The 2021 8K 6-Series will be using a lesser AI upscaling engine than the 2021 8-Series OD ZERO but still may be better TV than 2019 8-Series. I'll let @randy1911 speak to that...

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Guess "The Blobs" are NOT just a manifestation of the TCL Series 8 with local dimming turned off. Check out this review of the new Samsung, and go down to the pictures of the Black Uniformity. Dont look at their local dimming tests unless you like blooming :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guess "The Blobs" are NOT just a manifestation of the TCL Series 8 with local dimming turned off. Check out this review of the new Samsung, and go down to the pictures of the Black Uniformity. Dont look at their local dimming tests unless you like blooming :)
That is an ugly black uniformity. If you look at the TCL 8 review on RTINGS, the black uniformity has no blobs! Looking good there.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
OK, Whoever fixes these Roku apps fixed the ATT TV Roku app on the TV so it didnt drop out of Dolby Digital to PCM after using FF...BUT... Now the video is about 25ms ahead of the audio, but on that app only. The sync videos on YouTube are spot on. Now I am back to my external Roku again, as the ATT TV box forces HDR and I cannot get the picture to look bright enough during the day. I emailed all three (TCL, ROKU, ATT) last time. Guess Ill try email again. I just dont understand why the app works perfect on a Roku Ultra, but not the TV.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've never gotten eARC to work 100% correctly with my Denon 4400 and this TV.
Could you be more specific? Some features work, some don't? I will be pairing my Denon 3300 to my TCL 8 series 65" soon. I had been thinking of upgrading to the new Anthem AVR but need to sell some gear.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Could you be more specific? Some features work, some don't? I will be pairing my Denon 3300 to my TCL 8 series 65" soon. I had been thinking of upgrading to the new Anthem AVR but need to sell some gear.
I only want the ARC audio feature to work and none of the power features. So I don't want my TV to turn on the AVR or vice versa, but even when I have both components set to the correct settings, the TV ALWAYS turns on the AVR unless I manually toggle eARC on/off on the television. Needless to say that's annoying and should be unnecessary.

·
Registered
434 Posts
So I have a new issue that just seemed to pop up in the last couple weeks or so. As you can see in the attached picture, I have one zone that is dimmed in the upper right. When I power cycle it goes back to normal and works fine for an indeterminate amount of time until it eventually shows up again. So it's not completely permanent. Has anyone else experienced this? The TV is barely a year old. Doesn't seem to matter what the input source or anything is either.
@gosawx

20210328_225740.jpg

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Weird. 65 or 75"?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Does lightly tapping it when its off change it at all? Never had one apart, but I have to assume it has wires attached to it in a matrix. Hopefully Bruce will chime in with a fix.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Does lightly tapping it when its off change it at all? Never had one apart, but I have to assume it has wires attached to it in a matrix. Hopefully Bruce will chime in with a fix.
I've tapped on it and that didn't seem to do anything. It's just weird that it works for a while and then comes back.

2721 - 2740 of 2769 Posts