·
Registered
2,297 Posts
There is no setting for gamma.

·
Registered
395 Posts
OK.... Here are my settings:
For me when I change the 'Power Control' to Off this allows the 2 devices to operate separately. On my Onkyo I can visually see this as well because my Standby button switched to red when the Power Control is off and goes to yellow when the Power Control is on. Threw me for a loop at first because this was the first time I saw the yellow display since I've had this receiver (Never used the ARC feature before!).
One thing I did notice in your setup and I don't know how relevant it is but o have System standby checked on my tv. Think it will make a difference?

Sorry about the sideways pics

I can try the System Standby setting. I'm almost thinking it's some kind of bug with my AVR, it's been driving me mad, lol!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the TCL 8 series 65' and I've had to calibrate 10 times on the first day of ownership because everytime I turn off the tv, it reverts back to factory settings. I'm returning this tv to best buy asap. Plus I had to buy a chromecast stick just to cast. I'mma get a Vizio p series quantum or Sony asap!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just bought the TCL 8 series 65' and I've had to calibrate 10 times on the first day of ownership because everytime I turn off the tv, it reverts back to factory settings. I'm returning this tv to best buy asap. Plus I had to buy a chromecast stick just to cast. I'mma get a Vizio p series quantum or Sony asap!
Do you mind elaborating?
Thank you

·
Registered
671 Posts
OK.... Here are my settings:
For me when I change the 'Power Control' to Off this allows the 2 devices to operate separately. On my Onkyo I can visually see this as well because my Standby button switched to red when the Power Control is off and goes to yellow when the Power Control is on. Threw me for a loop at first because this was the first time I saw the yellow display since I've had this receiver (Never used the ARC feature before!).
One thing I did notice in your setup and I don't know how relevant it is but o have System standby checked on my tv. Think it will make a difference?

Sorry about the sideways pics
I have the TCL 55R625. Before I start my Onkyo TX-RZ820 also has an ARC HDMI output which is connected to the TV HDMI4. I checked my CEC settings:
I have UNCHECKED: ARC, System audio control, and System standby.
I also checked my Onkyo AVR:
I have Lip Sync on and the ARC: ---
I do NOT have any issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I went to rtings.com to figure out how to calibrate the tv to get the best picture. Well everytime I cut the tv off, I have to go back into picture settings to recalibrate the television. For example, I like a bright picture so I turn up the brightness to 70, but after turning the tv off when I went to the store, I had to make the same picture quality settings all over again because it reverted back to the settings from the factory presets. After buying the chromecast stick I can now cast from my favorite apps, but I still don't know how to keep the tv from reverting back to factory settings. Any advice?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes, I went to rtings.com to figure out how to calibrate the tv to get the best picture. Well everytime I cut the tv off, I have to go back into picture settings to recalibrate the television. For example, I like a bright picture so I turn up the brightness to 70, but after turning the tv off when I went to the store, I had to make the same picture quality settings all over again because it reverted back to the settings from the factory presets. After buying the chromecast stick I can now cast from my favorite apps, but I still don't know how to keep the tv from reverting back to factory settings. Any advice?
Did you set the TV through Roku first?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the TCL 55R625. Before I start my Onkyo TX-RZ820 also has an ARC HDMI output which is connected to the TV HDMI4. I checked my CEC settings:
I have UNCHECKED: ARC, System audio control, and System standby.
I also checked my Onkyo AVR:
I have Lip Sync on and the ARC: ---
I do NOT have any issues.
I have a Denon x4400h. So with ARC and System Audio Control unchecked, can you use the internal apps of the TV with your AVR? Do you use an optical cable?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have a Denon x4400h. So with ARC and System Audio Control unchecked, can you use the internal apps of the TV with your AVR? Do you use an optical cable?
1. I apologize for the AVR info, I found out later on one of your old posts, thanks.
2. Yes, you can listen to the internal apps through the AVR with ARC and System Audio Control unchecked. Yes, as you pointed out with an optical cable. Keep in mind three things:
a) You have to assign that optical input on your Denon.
b) You only get 5.1 sound whether DTS or DD.
c) Then on the Denon remote press TV to listen.

On the other hand you can get DD+ if you go through the AVR. I get DD+ when I watch Bosch 4K HDR on Prime Video.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The Roku app has an option to change gamma.
You are the man! I know it’s not probably reference but I’m much happier with the picture quality. It doesn’t fix the black crush totally but I’m getting a much better picture with changing the gamma. Although I had to put mine on 1.8. It was already set to 2.2. Thank you so much!

Reactions: PlanetAVS

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
You are the man! I know it’s not probably reference but I’m much happier with the picture quality. It doesn’t fix the black crush totally but I’m getting a much better picture with changing the gamma. Although I had to put mine on 1.8. It was already set to 2.2. Thank you so much!
Good enough that you would recommend this TV?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I self-calibrated using the recommendations on rtings.com. Then I self-calibrated the tv to my liking and either way..the tv reverts back to factory settings when I turn off the tv. I will try to the roku option if I see that option.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Good enough that you would recommend this TV?
I would for the price I paid for it 😁 The one day deal they had a few days ago is what I got it for a few months ago.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I self-calibrated using the recommendations on rtings.com. Then I self-calibrated the tv to my liking and either way..the tv reverts back to factory settings when I turn off the tv. I will try to the roku option if I see that option.
Try making a couple of changes to see if it properly saves using the Roku app. Might save you some effort

·
Registered
395 Posts

Glad I could help!

·
Registered
200 Posts
What source are you watching these from Netflix? I am watching this on Plex and I have not problems with the crushed blacks. I think my picture is quite awesome actually. I guess I need to try watching via Netflix app and see if there is indeed a difference.

I also have no issues with black crush. Absolutely love this display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey all, just joining the Q825 club today. The very friendly Geek Squad folks just dropped off the largest TV box I've ever seen. I'm going to make sure I re-read the last several pages of this thread a couple times to make sure I'm up-to-date on the latest updates and thoughts and then give this thing a go. I'm upgrading from the 55P607, so I've got a good base of knowledge with some of the nuances of the TCL/Roku system. It might be a few days, but I'm looking forward to posting my thoughts.

One thing I've seen alluded to but haven't been able to track down a definitive answer... should I expect worse/same/better PQ from using the built-in Roku apps for Netflex/Prime/YouTube TV compared to a stand alone streamer such as Apple TV 4k? My unit will be hardwired to a Cat6 pulling down about 200-250 Mbps, so I've got plenty of speed for streaming 4K content. *If* I add an Apple TV, it will eventually be streaming through a Denon AVR-3600h and then connected to the TV.

One more question... what are you all using to mount this behemoth to the wall? I'm looking at the same Cheetah APTMM2B I'm using for my 55" referenced above. It is rated for 165 lb, which gives me more than a 60% factor of safety.

301 - 320 of 901 Posts