AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 1762 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Still tweaking the pic settings, but, other than the dot, I am enjoying the set.
I am going to request an exchange, I am still within the return window from BB.
Hopefully the next one is flawless, I'm sure BB will be pretty easy to work with. How is the black level performance? Was on the one nit I could pick with the R617, it would get so bright that the letterboxes had no chance at staying black.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can someone confirm their firmware version for me? I’m currently on 9.2.2 build 6116-88. Just making sure it’s the most current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hopefully the next one is flawless, I'm sure BB will be pretty easy to work with. How is the black level performance? Was on the one nit I could pick with the R617, it would get so bright that the letterboxes had no chance at staying black.

Yeah, I don't want to go from bad to worse :).

The black levels look OK to me; but, than again, I am not an expert in such matters. I don't have any testing equipment. Just eyeballing it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just bought the TCL 8 Series 65 inch and after cleaning the screen I noticed a small black dot near the top of the screen in the center of the TV. It's only visible right in front of the TV. It's definitely inside the screen. Should I exchange/return it?

I have attached a picture.
Well that sucks for sure. No way I could keep that as I would always be looking for it:( I am expecting my 75" from best buy this week and hopefully I get a good one. I have always heard BB is pretty good to work with on returns (I have no experience though). Let us know how it goes if you send it back to them

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just bought the TCL 8 Series 65 inch and after cleaning the screen I noticed a small black dot near the top of the screen in the center of the TV. It's only visible right in front of the TV. It's definitely inside the screen. Should I exchange/return it?

I have attached a picture.

Well, I have a new set coming on June 1st.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Can someone confirm their firmware version for me? I’m currently on 9.2.2 build 6116-88. Just making sure it’s the most current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's up to 9.3 now, but not everyone is getting it automatically. You can force it manually though by starting to pair a Roku speaker in the settings menu (you don't have to actually pair a speaker, but it will force a download of the firmware update first).

---

Does anyone notice a change in colors after the update? After months of being happy with my TV on the WARM setting and not touching a thing, I felt like it suddenly looked too red, and now I changed to NORMAL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Roku app has an option to change gamma.
Where in the app did you find this? I tried main menu > settings > tv picture settings and tried the advanced picture settings by pressing options while in an app. Or is this something thats only available while using external devices?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Where in the app did you find this? I tried main menu > settings > tv picture settings and tried the advanced picture settings by pressing options while in an app. Or is this something thats only available while using external devices?
First, do you have the Roku remote app? If not check:
https://roku.en.softonic.com

Look-up App specs in the middle of the page, then below Windows 10, select Android or iPhone. Pair the app to your TV. Then you will see the main Roku menu with a bunch of adds. On the lower right hand corner tap "More." You should see: "Expert Picture Settings." Tap on it and you will see Gamma.
Good luck

·
Registered
144 Posts
I thought the iPQ app did well on my 6 series..anyone using that on the 8 series? Mine gets here Sunday I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Trying the 65" version of this out. My other sets are the 2018 6 series and a 2013 Panasonic S60 plasma, all 65".

The blacks are deep on this but there is definitely a problem at default settings with shadow detail and black crush. This is particularly a problem with DV content. Ozark has been identified as a problematic title, and I would agree with that. The last scene of S1E1, when Marty walks into the trees to have a little emotional breakdown is an excellent example. That is a very dark scene and as he leans against the tree and slowly slides down to a squat, that's a great opportunity to show immense shadow detail in his shirt and in his hair. At the default picture settings of Brighter, Dark DV, and Warm there is considerable crush, with his shirt being mostly all black. Bumping up the brightness a click from 50 to 51 makes a big positive difference, while at 52, the blacks noticeably washout.

However, there is another problem and that is the opening scene of My Planet, also on Netflix, also in DV. The opening shot peering over the Moon, there should be an incredible amount of stars visible in the background. On the 8 series, there aren't that many, which tells me the local dimming isn't working properly. The 6 series is far better in this scene as is the Panny plasma.

I used the iPQ app, which sets the gamma to 2.2 and calibrates from there. 6 series is definitely more accurate out of the box than the 8 series is based on using this app, with the 6 series going from Good -> Excellent while the 8 series went from Average -> Excellent.

I used the Disney WOW disc to do a basic SDR calibration which resulted in the following settings:

Darker, Movie
Backlight 40 (default, didn't mess with it)
Brightness 50->52 (definite black crush at default value of 50)
Contrast 100->96 (definite white clipping at default value of 100)
Sharpness 20 (default, test patterns didn't show any major problems)
Color 45 -> 50 (not hugely off, minor tweak)
Tint 0 (default, was dead on)
Color Temperature Warm* (used iPQ to calibrate)

On DV & HDR, I change the screen brightness to Brighter and use the Dark DV or Dark HDR picture mode, but the default Brightness value of 50 on both of those results in black crush. Bumping it one click up to 51 makes a big positive difference in shadow detail.

I'm confused about whether the black level detail issues are due to the gamma being at an improper value (iPQ sets it to 2.2 and calibrates from there), the default Brightness setting of 50 being too low, or the local dimming not working properly, or a combination of all 3.

I'll post some pics later of the Ozark and My Planet scenes from all 3 tv's to show what I'm talking about.

I think I'm probably returning this set and biting the bullet and getting an OLED.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Trying the 65" version of this out. My other sets are the 2018 6 series and a 2013 Panasonic S60 plasma, all 65".

The blacks are deep on this but there is definitely a problem at default settings with shadow detail and black crush. This is particularly a problem with DV content. Ozark has been identified as a problematic title, and I would agree with that. The last scene of S1E1, when Marty walks into the trees to have a little emotional breakdown is an excellent example. That is a very dark scene and as he leans against the tree and slowly slides down to a squat, that's a great opportunity to show immense shadow detail in his shirt and in his hair. At the default picture settings of Brighter, Dark DV, and Warm there is considerable crush, with his shirt being mostly all black. Bumping up the brightness a click from 50 to 51 makes a big positive difference, while at 52, the blacks noticeably washout.

However, there is another problem and that is the opening scene of My Planet, also on Netflix, also in DV. The opening shot peering over the Moon, there should be an incredible amount of stars visible in the background. On the 8 series, there aren't that many, which tells me the local dimming isn't working properly. The 6 series is far better in this scene as is the Panny plasma.

I used the iPQ app, which sets the gamma to 2.2 and calibrates from there. 6 series is definitely more accurate out of the box than the 8 series is based on using this app, with the 6 series going from Good -> Excellent while the 8 series went from Average -> Excellent.

I used the Disney WOW disc to do a basic SDR calibration which resulted in the following settings:

Darker, Movie
Backlight 40 (default, didn't mess with it)
Brightness 50->52 (definite black crush at default value of 50)
Contrast 100->96 (definite white clipping at default value of 100)
Sharpness 20 (default, test patterns didn't show any major problems)
Color 45 -> 50 (not hugely off, minor tweak)
Tint 0 (default, was dead on)
Color Temperature Warm* (used iPQ to calibrate)

On DV & HDR, I change the screen brightness to Bright and use the Dark DV or Dark HDR picture mode, but the default Brightness value of 50 on both of those results in black crush. Bumping it one click up to 51 makes a big positive difference in shadow detail.

I'm confused about whether the black level detail issues are due to the gamma being at an improper value (iPQ sets it to 2.2 and calibrates from there), the default Brightness setting of 50 being too low, or the local dimming not working properly, or a combination of all 3.

I'll post some pics later of the Ozark and My Planet scenes from all 3 tv's to show what I'm talking about.

I think I'm probably returning this set and biting the bullet and getting an OLED.
Might try dropping the gamma to 1.8 or 2.0, I know a few of the reviews have stated the gamma is pretty off out of the box and one owner on here said that adjusting the gamma down fixed the majority of their black crush issues. Mine just came at lunch today, planning on messing with it when I get to the house this evening, will update. I have a R617 that is really dialed in and shows seemingly thousands of stars on the intro to Our Planet so we'll see what it looks like.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Might try dropping the gamma to 1.8 or 2.0, I know a few of the reviews have stated the gamma is pretty off out of the box and one owner on here said that adjusting the gamma down fixed the majority of their black crush issues. Mine just came at lunch today, planning on messing with it when I get to the house this evening, will update. I have a R617 that is really dialed in and shows seemingly thousands of stars on the intro to Our Planet so we'll see what it looks like.
The Ozark scene I'm referencing is at the 52:40 mark of S1E1. Watch it from when he walks into the woods until it pans out to the credits. You should be able to see details in his shirt and the subtle plaid pattern of it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Ozark scene I'm referencing is at the 52:40 mark of S1E1. Watch it until it pans out to the credits. You should be able to see details in his shirt and the subtle plaid pattern of it.
I'll take a look at it for sure. Were you using the built in Netflix app or an external device?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I also like using that scene to test black level and shadow detail because I really dig the Radiohead song they use in it. :)

I tried it both from the internal app as well as from an Xbox One X through an Onkyo 676 AVR. Looked the same to me either way.

Reactions: TxTchRR

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I also like using that scene to test black level and shadow detail because I really dig the Radiohead song they use in it. :)

I tried it both from the internal app as well as from an Xbox One X through an Onkyo 676 AVR. Looked the same to me either way.
You can also try turning the local dimming to medium. I did it on a star field and the crush was gone but I got some clouding in the lower right corner that completely goes away when set to high. I didn't really notice the clouding when the room is daytime bright so maybe a good tradeoff for you. Me I'll take a little black crush to get the kind of inky blacks and pop I see.

I haven't played with the gamma settings and it's possible they may release a update that helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Update:

Got it set up and tried the Netflix scene, definitely was disappointed at the lack of stars even with gamma at 1.8. Waited for it to get dark, then used the IPQ app to calibrate and tried it again, HUGE improvement even with gamma at 2.2 vs the 1.8 earlier. I don’t know that I still have quite as many stars on that one shot as the 65R617 does, but it’s really close the Q825 gets way brighter and colors are way more vivid . Also incredibly amazed at how well it handles letterboxes in comparison to the R617 despite the added brightness.

I know there have been mixed reviews on the iPQ app, but it’s absolutely worked on both of my sets for sure.

Will keep updating as I get more time with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I didn't get the chance to look at that Ozark scene last night, but will try it this evening and report back. Like I said in my post from last night, the iPQ calibration got rid of probably 80% of the black crush I saw in the Our Planet open so hopefully the Ozark scene will be the same.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Went back last night and started from scratch comparing the legacy Panasonic TC-P65S60 plasma, TCL 65R615, and the TCL 65Q825.

After doing a basic SDR calibration again with the Disney WOW disc, I realized I made a mistake on how I was supposed to use the Brightness and Contrast test patterns. The 8 series default settings are actually pretty close out of the box and the resulting calibration settings are:

The settings below assume iPQ calibration at Gamma 2.2.

Dark room SDR settings:

TV brightness: Darker
Picture mode: Movie*
Picture size: Direct

Advanced picture settings:

Picture mode: Movie*
Local contrast: High
Dynamic Contrast: Off [grayed out]
Backlight: 40 (default)
Brightness: 50 -> 51 (definite black crush at 50)
Contrast: 100 -> 99 (definite white clipping at 100)
Sharpness: 20 (default, don't see any major issues in test patterns)
Color: 45 -> 50 (default is fairly close, but 50 is more accurate)
Tint: 0 (default, it's spot on)
Color Temperature: Warm* (iPQ calibrated)

HDR settings:
TV brightness: Brighter
Picture mode: Dark DV or Dark HDR (depending on content type)
Local Contrast: High
Brightness: 50 -> 51 (Dark DV only, critical change to improve shadow detail)
Everything else: default
Color Temperature: Warm* (iPQ calibrated)

There is some black crush and lack of shadow detail at the default settings for Dark DV content. Simply moving the Brightness up one click to 51 reclaims significant amounts of shadow detail. Lowering the gamma down from 2.2, to 2.0 or 1.8 had minimal effect but moving the Brightness up one click to 51 results in a pretty dramatic improvement. I don't see the same phenomenon with HDR10 or HLG but didn't spend much time with those.

See the attached 4 screenshots to illustrate what I'm talking about. These are all from the opening shot of My Planet on Netflix. Apologies that they're not all synchronized exactly, I was trying to focus on the stars in the background. All pics taken with an iPhone 11, at default settings.

Panasonic plasma - ignore the blueish cast of the moon, that's just me messing up taking the picture. I didn't realize it at the time and didn't bother to go back and take a better picture. Just look at the stars. Decent amount.
TCL 6 - lots of stars
TCL 8 at default settings in Dark DV - Deep black, but very few stars
TCL 8 in Dark DV, bumping up Brightness from 50 to 51 - still pretty deep black, way more stars but still not as many as the 6 series.

Part of what's going on with the 8 series is that the picture is so incredibly bright. It's not that there isn't shadow detail, there is, but you don't see it because you're almost blinded by the brightness of other elements of the picture. This scene is a good example. In the TCL 8 adjusted picture, there are actually more stars visible than what the picture shows, it's just that the brightness of the moon in the foreground is so bright you don't see them. If you pause the scene, and hold your hand up in front of your face covering up the moon, you can actually see that there are more stars in the background than you realized were there.

Based off of these screenshots, a lot of people would prefer the TCL 6 series picture. The 8 series proves its chops in more uniformly dark scenes as well as scenes with bright colors present.

I'll post shots of the scene from Ozark later to illustrate.

Attachments

381 - 400 of 1762 Posts