AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 798 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I want to know everything there is to know about this thing. The good, the bad, the ugly, and everyrhing else there is to know.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Deepest blacks ever tested on a LCD panel. Super bright for HDR. Black crush that some owners have overcome by adjusting gamma/brightness.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hmm, didn't know it had the deepest blacks but I know as long as the local dimming is set to high the dark areas go black like it's turned off. The black crush doesn't bother me that much compared to the pop the picture gives me. You can also try movie mode as it tends to bring the contrast up till the darker details show up a bit better but it makes it more gray looking to me so I run it in normal mode myself.

It's going to be interesting to see what the viridian panels look like and some of the other new ideas coming out.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Hmm, didn't know it had the deepest blacks but I know as long as the local dimming is set to high the dark areas go black like it's turned off. The black crush doesn't bother me that much compared to the pop the picture gives me. You can also try movie mode as it tends to bring the contrast up till the darker details show up a bit better but it makes it more gray looking to me so I run it in normal mode myself.

It's going to be interesting to see what the viridian panels look like and some of the other new ideas coming out.
Here's the list of Rtngs contrast ratio tests. Rank them from highest contrast ratio with local dimming and it shows TCL 8 as the lowest ever except for OLEDs.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/contrast-ratio

And here is the full review.

"The TCL 8 Series 2019 has an outstanding contrast ratio, so blacks look deep in a dark room. When local dimming is enabled, this TV delivers the deepest blacks we've measured up until now on an LED TV"

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/8-series-2019-q825-qled

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Well I've read most of the reviews for it and I missed that one so thanks for that link. I certainly agree with what they said but I don't think the gray uniformity is that bad on dark scenes unless they thought it crushed it too much.
Mine the screen seems pretty even for a full screen color like gray or white and like that. I guess it depends on your luck with the panel lottery but I'd think they spend a bit more time making sure these are good before they get boxed up for the original prices they were asking for them.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Well I've read most of the reviews for it and I missed that one so thanks for that link. I certainly agree with what they said but I don't think the gray uniformity is that bad on dark scenes unless they thought it crushed it too much.
Mine the screen seems pretty even for a full screen color like gray or white and like that. I guess it depends on your luck with the panel lottery but I'd think they spend a bit more time making sure these are good before they get boxed up for the original prices they were asking for them.
Grey uniformity is the biggest variable when it comes to panel lottery. Rtngs usually makes a point of mentioning that when they get a test panel with DSE.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Grey uniformity is the biggest variable when it comes to panel lottery. Rtngs usually makes a point of mentioning that when they get a test panel with DSE.
Yep. I got lucky with my 8 Series and have almost zero uniformity issues and no visible DSE. Can't say the same thing about my 65R617, but was willing to live with it.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Sounds like MOST of us got lucky on the panel lottery and those that didn't TCL replaced the set. They did mention the issues they saw might be their particular set and they wanted to hear from other owners how their sets looked.

As far as the set if you get a good panel the main issues for most is the black crush in star fields and similar things and getting clouding in the corners of dark scenes if local contrast is turned below high. I have seen both and it's not enough to make me want to return it. I set it to high and I don't really mind the crush because of the awesome contrast ratio it has straight on. If that is going to bother you get something else or make sure you have a good return policy so you can test drive it and play with all the advanced settings to see if you can get it like you want. Like said turning the gamma probably helps and turning the dimming to medium helps but then you'll see some clouding unless you're really lucky in a dark room.
I love the picture I get 90 percent of the time and I agree I think it's probably very close to a OLED and it gets brighter when called for, plus no possibility of burn in.
If you want to chance it wait till it drops to 1k again or 15 for the 75 and see what happens.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I want to know everything there is to know about this thing. The good, the bad, the ugly, and everyrhing else there is to know.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
With ALL due respect to the fellow members that provided great suggestions, here is mine. Check youtube that has a bunch of independent and objective reviews.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Ok folks I think I got a bad panel. During the UHD benchmark disc on the brightness adjustment I see clouds in the black areas all around the outer edges. And I see what seems to be noise in the picture. And the cloudiness in darks is brighter. In most regular content it looks OLED like. But it is so bad on that pattern that I can't even adjust the brightness. The second line that is a little dimmer is actually red.

What should I do? Does this spund like a defective panel

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok folks I think I got a bad panel. During the UHD benchmark disc on the brightness adjustment I see clouds in the black areas all around the outer edges. And I see what seems to be noise in the picture. And the cloudiness in darks is brighter. In most regular content it looks OLED like. But it is so bad on that pattern that I can't even adjust the brightness. The second line that is a little dimmer is actually red.

What should I do? Does this spund like a defective panel

Is your local dimming set to "high"? If it's already set to high, then this is a very similar to the issues I had on my first set, I posted in this thread awhile back. The set needed parts to resolve per TCL. If you're still in your return period, I would have it replaced.

Unfortunately, my replacement set (Feb 2020 panel), which had none of this clouding issue and much better PQ OOTB, have a bright green stuck pixel/s, visible from my viewing distance.

As impressive the TV for the price I got it for, I decided not to continue with the panel lottery and moving on, waiting for an OLED replacement.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Yes local dimming on high. Anything else is totally wigged out. I won't play the panel lottery either. I did that on my first rear projector a Sharp. The first was the best of all. So I will try one more and that's it. So do I just call Best Buy and they come and pick it up? I have only had it 5 days. It is such a shame that made me lose interest in the video part of theater. I went through so much crap with that set I stopped really looking and just troed to enjoy what I had. I did get lucky on my first front projector it was the best sample that Zombie10k calibrated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Sharp TV. That’s why IME, I try to check for possible issues while in the return period and see what I can live or be stuck with for at least few years.

Yes, just call Best Buy and arrange for an exchange. I purchased mine with total tech support and GS install and mounting, so they came removed the defective one, and installed replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like MOST of us got lucky on the panel lottery and those that didn't TCL replaced the set. They did mention the issues they saw might be their particular set and they wanted to hear from other owners how their sets looked.

As far as the set if you get a good panel the main issues for most is the black crush in star fields and similar things and getting clouding in the corners of dark scenes if local contrast is turned below high. I have seen both and it's not enough to make me want to return it. I set it to high and I don't really mind the crush because of the awesome contrast ratio it has straight on. If that is going to bother you get something else or make sure you have a good return policy so you can test drive it and play with all the advanced settings to see if you can get it like you want. Like said turning the gamma probably helps and turning the dimming to medium helps but then you'll see some clouding unless you're really lucky in a dark room.
I love the picture I get 90 percent of the time and I agree I think it's probably very close to a OLED and it gets brighter when called for, plus no possibility of burn in.
If you want to chance it wait till it drops to 1k again or 15 for the 75 and see what happens.
I watched the beginning of Marriage Story (Shot in 35mm) on Netflix the other night and noticed my first real Flaw with the picture. The black bars in this film run vertical - and on the right side of the screen during dark scenes, I noticed a brightly lit thin neon green line only noticeable during darker scenes. I’m no technical expert but it’s as if there’s some light leakage from when the Fald panels flash during these scenes? I didn’t have a lot of time to adjust settings much but will try this tonight. One setting I will try is to lower to Dark HDR and see if this makes any difference. Any suggestions Dartman? It shouldn’t be doing this that’s for sure. Watching 16.9 or or 2:35 aspect ratios or standard full screen no worries mate.

Side note: What’s up with manufacturers like TCL including Dolby Atmos built directly into the TV? I mean in theory it’s a nice thought but I don’t think it really works. When I tried it - it just sounds like the tv has pretty decent audio quality built into it. I’ve heard good Dolby Atmos demos before and this wasn’t one of them. Why would a manufacturer think they can build Dolby Atmos into a TV? This isn’t it...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Well I haven't seen that but I haven't watched much of anything with bars vertically on both sides. Might be a firmware glitch or something like that. You could always contact TCL and send them a picture to see what they say.
As far as the fancy Dolby audio I think it means it will output it through the HDMI port as well as supposedly do it through the speakers But I don't know for sure and I'm sure some of the others here understand that part more than I do. I use a Vizio 5.1 sound bar and my Onkyo 898 for sound so never really cared about that part anyway.
You could play with the picture size settings and see if it changes anything and try the medium local dimming to see if that changes how it works and takes away the green line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What Dartman said, for the most part it effectively means the TV can decode Atmos, which is great when using the built-in streaming apps or possibly passing ARC. Speaking of that, I am hopeful and anxious on a possible update for eARC support. I have an eARC supporting soundbar (Samsung Q90r) and I pretty much have a manual sync that works when running video through the soundbar, but streaming apps from the TV outputting via ARC cause a small lag, which to my understanding can only be fixed with an eARC update.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My arc port and my soundbar are always getting confused. I had it ran from arc on the tv and guess it was wrong so I hooked it up the way I guess it is supposed to be and it wouldn't pick up the tv after it sat all night and I'd have to change the mode to get it to resync up and work. I finally realized I had it set to pass through whatever hdmi mode for sound it was getting and I tried setting it to auto and the bar and TV sync up after a second. However when I use anything that streams it drops audio through the bar off and on till I turn it off and on or hit the mute which seems to sync again when it unmutes.
It seems to stay locked in to the cable box sound and of course the A/V optical feed does not drop. It also works ok with it set to the native audio of Dolby Digital and DTS. I think the ARC setup on these sets is finicky with some of our gear and I hope they do update the ARC port because it might fix some of the other issues. Sometimes I'm tempted to just hook it up through the optical out but that's going to my receiver that doesn't support hdmi. I hate that the newer TVs keep loosing all the older inputs and outputs they used to have. I guess eventually I need to get a newer receiver that has hdmi support.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Arc actually works through my RMC1L with the TCL. I could never get it to work with my LG B8 OLED. So in that area I am very happy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I watched the beginning of Marriage Story (Shot in 35mm) on Netflix the other night and noticed my first real Flaw with the picture. The black bars in this film run vertical - and on the right side of the screen during dark scenes, I noticed a brightly lit thin neon green line only noticeable during darker scenes. I’m no technical expert but it’s as if there’s some light leakage from when the Fald panels flash during these scenes? I didn’t have a lot of time to adjust settings much but will try this tonight. One setting I will try is to lower to Dark HDR and see if this makes any difference. Any suggestions Dartman? It shouldn’t be doing this that’s for sure. Watching 16.9 or or 2:35 aspect ratios or standard full screen no worries mate.

Side note: What’s up with manufacturers like TCL including Dolby Atmos built directly into the TV? I mean in theory it’s a nice thought but I don’t think it really works. When I tried it - it just sounds like the tv has pretty decent audio quality built into it. I’ve heard good Dolby Atmos demos before and this wasn’t one of them. Why would a manufacturer think they can build Dolby Atmos into a TV? This isn’t it...

The TV has the ability to pass (lossy) Atmos over ARC to a receiver, it doesn’t mean that the actual TV will support Atmos. It’s an important feature for the native apps on the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

581 - 600 of 798 Posts