AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 837 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Are you using the native Prime app or Prime from a different source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, sir. The native Prime app. I had to switch to the Apple TV to get HDR.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That kinda scares me lol. Hope it doesn't bother me when I get it. But overall you guys still enjoy the tv?
Easily the best bang for your buck if you get it at the sale price, IMO. The only other set that might come close is the 2019 Vizio PX-series, but I didn't want to take the chance of serious software issues like the HDMI and CEC bugs that they're dealing with. At full price, I'd be hard-pressed to get it over a 65" OLED though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just got my 8 series yesterday and can report the same thing. There is a thread at the Roku forum that is talking about it.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/TCL-Roku-device-suddenly-does-not-render-Prime-in-4K-HDR/m-p/579753#M7454
Weird that my 2018 6 Series isn't having any issues (but it looks like I got lucky on that, if that owner's thread is any indication). This last Roku update has really be disastrous for TCL sets, it seems. Hopefully they'll push a patch soon or I guess I'll look into getting an Apple TV.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,

Can you tell me what the best Audio setting is for a JBL 9.1 soundbar please? Should it be auto detect, or a passthrough option, or select DD plus/ DTS ? I have the 6 series connected via ARC, but not sure how it works in terms of the TV processing / scaling the sound , or how to set it up so that the soundbar does it all. Thx

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Weird that my 2018 6 Series isn't having any issues (but it looks like I got lucky on that, if that owner's thread is any indication). This last Roku update has really be disastrous for TCL sets, it seems. Hopefully they'll push a patch soon or I guess I'll look into getting an Apple TV.
Yea, it's working fine on both of my 6 series, P series , and S series. I did notice that there is a new UI on the prime video app. It now has profiles, much like Netflix. On my 8 series however, it's still the old interface. The rest have all updated. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing the app to no avail.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yea, it's working fine on both of my 6 series, P series , and S series. I did notice that there is a new UI on the prime video app. It now has profiles, much like Netflix. On my 8 series however, it's still the old interface. The rest have all updated. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing the app to no avail.
I noticed that same thing about 2 weeks ago. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

FWIW, there are a couple of guys in the 625 thread saying that their Prime HDR is functioning correctly again as of this afternoon after a couple of weeks without it working. Also said that the Bright HDR flickering is gone now, as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Easily the best bang for your buck if you get it at the sale price, IMO. The only other set that might come close is the 2019 Vizio PX-series, but I didn't want to take the chance of serious software issues like the HDMI and CEC bugs that they're dealing with. At full price, I'd be hard-pressed to get it over a 65" OLED though.
I would agree, at the lowest sale price, probably no competition at the 75" for 2019.

The 2020 Vizio Quantum X, likely the coming competitor. At 65", not sure. Hisense H9G? Vizio OLED? both with HDMI 2.1 and DoVI and HDR 10+ support? Maybe... JMHO.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would agree, at the lowest sale price, probably no competition at the 75" for 2019.

The 2020 Vizio Quantum X, likely the coming competitor. At 65", not sure. Hisense H9G? Vizio OLED? both with HDMI 2.1 and DoVI and HDR 10+ support? Maybe... JMHO.
My statement only pertained to 2019 sets, but 2020 is definitely more muddled for sure. I’m betting the 2020 8 Series will be quite a bit of an improvement over this set, just because of the extra experience with MiniLED.

·
Registered
64 Posts

My statement only pertained to 2019 sets, but 2020 is definitely more muddled for sure. I’m betting the 2020 8 Series will be quite a bit of an improvement over this set, just because of the extra experience with MiniLED.
Yes I hear the vidrian in the new 8 series will significantly reduce blooming even when viewed off center. I couldn't wait any longer though lol.. at least my tv comes today though I'll update how I feel about my experience with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Yes the new px is suppose to have much better video processing and improved motion handling..if for whatever reason ime having issues with my 8 series I might give it a try.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

FWIW, there are a couple of guys in the 625 thread saying that their Prime HDR is functioning correctly again as of this afternoon after a couple of weeks without it working. Also said that the Bright HDR flickering is gone now, as well.
Still not working here yet. However UHD and HDR info is now displaying in the program description. It was not there earlier.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Still not working here yet. However UHD and HDR info is now displaying in the program description. It was not there earlier.
Not working here either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes the new px is suppose to have much better video processing and improved motion handling..if for whatever reason ime having issues with my 8 series I might give it a try.
Hopefully you'll enjoy it, it really is a great TV. Download the iPQ app and do the quick calibration with it, it really helps skin tone. Also, get the Roku app on your phone and play with the gamma settings if you need to. My set was definitely crushing blacks at 2.2, rolling it to 2.0 helped a lot but 1.8 might even work better for you. I'm fairly certain my set is still too dark in some DV and HDR content, but 95% of the time it's perfect and I'm willing to sacrifice the 5% for how good the bright HDR scenes/highlights are on this TV.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dang I don't have a pixel or iPhone so I can't do it
I believe you can sideload it if you're comfortable with that. I probably wouldn't do it unless your phone camera is less than a couple years old though, seems likely you could actually make the picture worse if the camera isn't good.

·
Registered
624 Posts
So I have the 65 R625 and had it for 6 months now and I get impressed with the picture everyday. Here is my suggestion but not sure how it would look on the 8 series but give it a try. You need to use the IPQ app. It will help balance out the gray scale. Also and this is KEY. You need to run the about a few times to get down to the lowest number you can. I don’️t know how accurate the IPQ is but damn it does look a lot better after I ran it to get to the lowest number. Also, don’️t yell at me but try putting your color up to 100. This won’️t mess with skin tones at all. Someone. Suggested to me to set the color between 80-100 and damn he was right the colors pop without over saturation and the skin tones remain perfect. Give it a try you won’️t be disappointed. However not sure how it would look on the 8 series. I am sure it wouldn’️t be any different though. I am kicking myself for not getting the 8 seriesðŸ™️

One last thing when you use the IPQ calibration app make sure you have the color temp set to WARM.

·
Registered
624 Posts

If you have a firestick connected just use Kodi. If not, It’s worth the investment in a firestick or shield. I never watch Amazon Prime or Netflix anymore with there bs problems all the time. Matter of fact I don’t use any others apps. Main reason I use Kodi i can watch everything in 5.1 and HDR movies and tv shows. Kodi has everything you can watch pretty much. It’s a good investment.

661 - 680 of 837 Posts