AVS Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1872 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Plus they discussed it further with at least 100 reporters in one-on-one Q&A sessions for blogs, reviews, and other articles, some of which I posted. This is where the obvious hints -- "more expensive 2019 models", "high end 2019 models", "top of the line 2019 models" came from. It's too consistent and not fabricated out of thin air. IF that wasn't true, TCL would have contacted the reporters for a correction.

There's no confusion the 2019 Series 8 will get this update. But they have to allow the new 2020 Series 6 to shine for awhile. I don't know why people don't understand this business necessity.

Also in the corporate world you have to wait for the higher ups to make "official" announcements. And these come at opportune times -- oh, like when the 2020 8K Series 8 is announced? Or soon thereafter. It would at a time when maximum interest is on the TCL brand, some some random day and time.
The guy in thread is literally telling us which models are getting what lol. Not sure why they would hide the 8 series getting vrr at this point. Clearly there's some limitations on this model their not telling us and we were all beta testers for a new technology. Either way I won't hold my breath for vrr on this tv it'll be nice if we get it though

·
Registered
859 Posts
The guy in thread is literally telling us which models are getting what lol. Not sure why they would hide the 8 series getting vrr at this point. Clearly there's some limitations on this model their not telling us and we were all beta testers for a new technology. Either way I won't hold my breath for vrr on this tv it'll be nice if we get it though
Lol yourself. Anyone who says LOL to me shows contempt for the proof I've posted and explained.

1) You're wrong. He's NOT literally telling us which models are getting eARC. You need to watch again. LOL

2) I'm more interested in eARC than VRR. Series 8 is getting eARC according to everything published.

3) But the reason series 6 is getting Is specifically mentioned getting VRR is because it doesn't have a native 120 Hz display like the 2019 series 8 does. That doesn't mean the 2019 series 8 won't get VRR. It would be EASIER for 2019 Series 8 than 2019 Series 6.

It's a bigger deal for the 2019 series 6 because of its technical limitations. You are jumping to the exactly opposite conclusion of what you should be.

It's not that hard to understand what they're saying and why they're saying it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lol yourself. Anyone who says LOL to me shows contempt for the proof I've posted and explained.

1) You're wrong. He's NOT literally telling us which models are getting eARC. You need to watch again. LOL

2) I'm more interested in eARC than VRR. Series 8 is getting eARC according to everything published.

3) But the reason series 6 is getting Is specifically mentioned getting VRR is because it doesn't have a native 120 Hz display like the 2019 series 8 does. That doesn't mean the 2019 series 8 won't get VRR. It would be EASIER for 2019 Series 8 than 2019 Series 6.

It's a bigger deal for the 2019 series 6 because of its technical limitations. You are jumping to the exactly opposite conclusion of what you should be.

It's not that hard to understand what they're saying and why they're saying it.
You obviously missed the statement from Bruce on the last page that video is pointless so again lol. If we get vrr fine but if a guy from tcl is specifically saying which models are getting what then I won't hold my breath LOL

·
Registered
859 Posts
=============
There's a Roku 9.4 beta firmware update out right now that gives both eARC and VRR to 2019 Series 6. I keep asking if anyone in this thread has signed up for beta testing -- to see if it's also for 2019 Series 8 -- and everyone acts like they don't care. AFTER beta testing, that firmware update will be distributed. Wouldn't you like to know if it's also for 2019 Series 8? :unsure:
===============

You obviously missed the statement from Bruce on the last page that video is pointless so again lol.
If we get vrr fine but if a guy from tcl is specifically saying which models are getting what then I won't hold my breath LOL
LOL yourself.

I actually read Bruce's statement. It seems you didn't, from what you just typed. He's saying for you to be patient. He can't announce something ahead of corporate. They get to announce, he gets to explain it.

More will come as we approach the release.
I actually watched the TCL CES video, whereas to me (my opinion) it seems you didn't. The guy on stage says:

1) "SELECT" models will be be getting eARC. He does NOT say which models whatsoever. (Explained below.)
2) In addition we will tell you right now "Series 6 is getting VRR." He does not say ONLY Series 6. (Explained below.)

But IF the Series 8 only gets eARC -- and not VRR -- I couldn't care less. I'm interested eARC for Dolby Atmos. But it's probably getting VRR also.

The eARC and VRR updates are related and right now while there's a BETA Roku eARC/VRR update for 2019 Series 6, it's STILL NOT been officially distributed to all owners. So, 2019 Series 6 still has NOT gotten the promised update (eARC/VRR). But, it's a big deal a budget TV with native 60Hz display to be promised to get that. That's why the TCL guy at CES mentioned 2019 Series 6. If only the most expensive Series 8 got it, that would be normal. So, he specifically mentioned 2019 Series 6 to show they are being generous. That doesn't mean other TCL TVs (more expensive, with 120Hz display) are not getting it. That's what you seem to not understand.

Whereas, off the record, TCL told many, many people YES -- the HIGHEST END, MOST EXPENSIVE, HIGHEST TIER 2019 models WILL be receiving these updates, at least eARC. That means Series 8. I posted all those articles. ALL those professionals are not lying. They are not fabricating that out of thin air. They are repeating what TCL told them, in various wording of the same information.

But if TCL said that OUT LOUD, right now -- then who would go buy a 75" 4K 2020 120Hz eARC/VRR Series 6 (240 minLED zones) when the 75" 2019 4K 120Hz Series 8 (1000 miniLED zones) will also have eARC (and maybe VRR) in the very near future? It was on sale for $1500 last week...

You want it all in black and white, and there's a BUSINESS strategy reason for not doing that

=========
All these YouTube/website/blogger reviewers compare specs. The 2020 Series 6 HAS to look superior for a few months. Then the 2019 Series 8 can catch up. ;) Not many of these reviewers then go back and update/do follow up reviews, the the 2020 Series 6 will be the "winner." And it is a great TV.
=========

But a 2019 75" 120Hz 4K Series 8 with 1,000 miniLED zones and eARC (maybe VRR) will be better.

The only thing to beat that would be the 2020 75" 120Hz 8K Series 8 with eARC/VRR, HDMI 2.1 and Vidrian. I'm just scared how much that will cost.

·
UHD Addict
37,504 Posts
I doubt there’s an “agreed upon” sound bar.

I have the Samsung Q90R Dolby atmos 7.1.4 system. It sounds amazing paired with the 75” TCL 8. Fills the room with cinematic sound and deep bass with clear voice. And it sits nicely on the stand. It’s tall enough to sit right under the screen. Pics below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good information, good pictures. You are right -- fits on the center stand quite well.

The Samsung HW-Q90R height is 3.26" (48.26" x 3.26" x 5.35"). I wouldn't want any higher, according to your pictures.

These are the three 2020 Dolby Atmos soundbars I'm looking at, to pair with my upcoming 75" TCL 120Hz TV:

• 2020 Samsung HW-Q950T 9.1.4 soundbar, 2.7" high (48.0" x 2.7" x 5.4"). Ignore initial reviews. Samsung has already released a firmware update which fixed many issues.
  • 2020 Klipsch Cinema 1200 (1200 watts) 5.1.4, 3" high (54 x 3 x 6.2"). October release.
  • 2020 Vizio Elevate 5.1.4, height unknown right now. 48" wide, but no other dimensions released yet. "Holiday" 2020 release.
Thanks for the info. My 75Q825 is going to be delivered tomorrow morning and I was trying to decide whether to put my Vizio Atmos speaker bar in front of it's stand or on top of it. So based on all this info it looks like I will be fine putting it on top of the stand. Plus this way I can have the TV closer to the front of my TV stand.

I'm seven feet away from the screen right now with a 65" Sony. Which is too far. So I didn't want to move the 75" back any farther than I needed to. Hopefully I get a good panel tomorrow. But at least I know that BestBuy will cover moving and unpacking everything for me again if I need to get it swapped.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I found the whites to look good, but the colors are a little off. I cannot find a professional calibrator here in Central Arkansas, so would like to know if anyone knows what calibration system a user like me could use to at least come close to hiring a professional. I see many calibration kits on Amazon, like spyder but they all appear to be for computer monitors. Anything in the sub $300 range that would work on TV’s with a windows computer?

·
UHD Addict
37,504 Posts
So they setup the 8 series this morning. I've noticed an issue with strobing.
For instance the opening scenes of The Matrix UHD BD. Where agent Smith first starts talking to the police officer. It get bright then dim bright then dim. And the same thing happens when trinity is running on the rooftops. I've never seen this happen with my 2018 8 Series.
I'm even wondering if it's actually a new TV. It had a manufacture date of December 2019. Plus it rebooted once as well.
So has anyone had an issue with this strobing effect?

Reactions: JebDuna

·
Registered
69 Posts
SO they setup the 8 series this morning. I've noticed an issue with strobing.
For instance the opening scenes of The MAtric UHD BD. Where agent Smith first starts talking to the police office. It get bright then dim bright then dim. And the same thing happens when trinity is running on the rooftops. I've never seen this happen with my 2018 8 Series.
I'm even wondering if it's actually a new TV. It had a manufacture date of December 2019.
You I’ve had it with many movies. It’s annoying. This tv really makes no sense with how it operates. The tech in it is sound but implemented very poorly. Like why do we get blooming with text but black crush in shadows. Really hope it improves with updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,504 Posts
What about the DV settings? I've found that if I change it from DV Normal to DV Dark or DV Bright that the picture suddenly gets super dark. And then stays that way no matter what DV setting I put it on. I need to stop the movie and start it again for it to look right again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have said it before all of my sources has confirmed that the 2019 8 series will not get all of the earc, VRR, 4k120 goodies but an update that will come in Oct /Nov to the 8 series will get some limited treats. The 2021 8 series will be announced in late Oct, it will have everything but I'm hearing TCL is going in a new price realm in the U.S, so that does not sound good but it is what it is. I hope I'm wrong I hope all my sources are wrong and the 2019 8 series gets earc VRR and 4k120 but I really doubt it. If I'm wrong the 2019 will be my next TV. If Im right I don't know what I'll do because I don't want oled, I'm a gamer and a movie guy, oled has issues and a short life span. I'm also not paying over 3k for a TCL. Which im hearing the 2021 8 series will cost.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For instance the opening scenes of The Matrix UHD BD. Where agent Smith first starts talking to the police officer. It get bright then dim bright then dim. And the same thing happens when trinity is running on the rooftops. I've never seen this happen with my 2018 8 Series.
I'm even wondering if it's actually a new TV. It had a manufacture date of December 2019. Plus it rebooted once as well.
I just got this set a few days ago. Noticing this strobing when watching specific HDR programs/files. Seems like it's just HDR10 content and not Dolby Vision, so far, from what I have looked at.

Watched some clips that are 4K HDR on YouTube app/channel and see occasional strobing (but not terrible) but also tried watching an MKV file of The Mandalorian (4K HDR10) from a USB drive and the strobing is terrible.

Watching "Our Planet" (4K Dolby Vision) via the Netflix channel/app or Dolby Vision clips on the Dolby app are both fine. 4K SDR is fine as well (either via Netflix or MKV files via USB.)

It's almost like the TV doesn't know what to do with some HDR10 content.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have said it before all of my sources has confirmed that the 2019 8 series will not get all of the earc, VRR, 4k120 goodies but an update that will come in Oct /Nov to the 8 series will get some limited treats. The 2021 8 series will be announced in late Oct, it will have everything but I'm hearing TCL is going in a new price realm in the U.S, so that does not sound good but it is what it is. I hope I'm wrong I hope all my sources are wrong and the 2019 8 series gets earc VRR and 4k120 but I really doubt it. If I'm wrong the 2019 will be my next TV. If Im right I don't know what I'll do because I don't want oled, I'm a gamer and a movie guy, oled has issues and a short life span. I'm also not paying over 3k for a TCL. Which im hearing the 2021 8 series will cost.
Not going to get 4k @ 120Hz for gaming. Need HDMI 2.1 for that.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I am really kind of surprised none of these TV manufacturers are including at least one Displayport on these high dollar sets.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not going to get 4k @ 120Hz for gaming. Need HDMI 2.1 for that.
I know and I have said this on prior post. It's more than 4k120 that the 2019 8 series can't do and its not because of the software which will reveal itself in the future updates, when the features that some are asking for does not come to this TV. It's not a software issue as I have said numerous times, earc/VRR and other add-ons are not limited due to the software but I didn't want to go into it too much. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and all of my sources are wrong but I doubt it.

·
UHD Addict
37,504 Posts
Displayport is a PC connection. That would be unusual to put it on a consumer electronics device. HDMI is the norm for a consumer electronics device.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Turn it off HDR Bright. That's a known software flaw. HDR Normal or Dark fixes the strobing.

·
UHD Addict
37,504 Posts
Turn it off HDR Bright. That's a known software flaw. HDR Normal or Dark fixes the strobing.
It was on HDR Dark. It happened on both HDR10 and DV. I have HDR10 at HDR Dark and DV at HDR Normal.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

1341 - 1360 of 1872 Posts