AVS Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1677 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,421 Posts
Literally every HDR movie/show I've looked at has done this. Whether using external devices or the internal apps. USing the default settings and then custom Expert picture settings.
Plus it has rebooted twice now. So I will need to call BestBuy to exchange. I can't really watch anything in HDr with the thing getting bright and dark every few seconds. Plus in Dolby Vision if you change it from DV Normal, the picture gets super dark and stays that way. The only way to get it back to looking normal is to stop playing the content and then it switches back to SDR. Then when you go back to playing the DV content again, it will look oK. At least until the strobing starts again.

The TV does get very bright. The highlights in the Matrix that hit 1000 nits were very noticeable. But once the strobing starts it's basically unwatchable for me, since it is extremely distracting.

I'm wondering if I should have just gone with the 2020 6 Series with the 10% off. I don't recall reading any issues like this with it. But I guess I will try an exchange first. And if the replacement is the same I'll need to return it and just wait until Black Friday week to pick something else up.

I did end up liking the stand. It does a great job making the TV looking like it's floating above my TV stand. And my speaker bar fit well above it. Where I could still see the bezel on the bottom of the TV.

I wasn't able to get network IP control working, like it works with my 2018 Series 6. The Harmony hub never saw it on the network. ANd then my speaker bar blocked the IR signals from Harmony hub. So I need to place one of the IR remotes under the center of the TV. Which works fine now with the Harmony remote.

I still wonder if this TV was maybe a return and just reboxed to look new. I know it would not be the first time Best Buy has done that. Plus the manufacture date was super old. December 2019. I would have expected it to be Spring or Summer 2020.

·
Banned
706 Posts
eARC is a different animal than ARC, and it requires hardware support. It cannot be enabled by pure firmware update if those hardware does not exist. The 2020 TCL 6 series (R635) supports eARC and VRR when released because it was designed with such hardware, even though it is not fully HDMI 2.1 compliant. The MFR can choose to build TV with some features from HDMI 2.1, and not the full HDMI 2.1 spec. I did not follow closely on the 2019 TCL 6 series (R625), so correct me if I am wrong, but a quick search does not show eARC being enabled by firmware. If it does, then that means TCL put in the hardware to enable it on 2019 models, so there will be hope for the 2019 8 series.
People need to know for e/arc to work the external device also has to have e/arc..(ex HT receiver..etc) however it's still backwards compatible with regular arc. A lot of people don't know this and there aren't a lot of e/arc capable receivers out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Literally every HDR movie/show I've looked at has done this. Whether using external devices or the internal apps. USing the default settings and then custom Expert picture settings.
Plus it has rebooted twice now. So I will need to call BestBuy to exchange. I can't really watch anything in HDr with the thing getting bright and dark every few seconds. Plus in Dolby Vision if you change it from DV Normal, the picture gets super dark and stays that way. The only way to get it back to looking normal is to stop playing the content and then it switches back to SDR. Then when you go back to playing the DV content again, it will look oK. At least until the strobing starts again.

The TV does get very bright. The highlights in the Matrix that hit 1000 nits were very noticeable. But once the strobing starts it's basically unwatchable for me, since it is extremely distracting.

I'm wondering if I should have just gone with the 2020 6 Series with the 10% off. I don't recall reading any issues like this with it. But I guess I will try an exchange first. And if the replacement is the same I'll need to return it and just wait until Black Friday week to pick something else up.

I did end up liking the stand. It does a great job making the TV looking like it's floating above my TV stand. And my speaker bar fit well above it. Where I could still see the bezel on the bottom of the TV.

I wasn't able to get network IP control working, like it works with my 2018 Series 6. The Harmony hub never saw it on the network. ANd then my speaker bar blocked the IR signals from Harmony hub. So I need to place one of the IR remotes under the center of the TV. Which works fine now with the Harmony remote.

I still wonder if this TV was maybe a return and just reboxed to look new. I know it would not be the first time Best Buy has done that. Plus the manufacture date was super old. December 2019. I would have expected it to be Spring or Summer 2020.
Yeah, this is not exactly what I am seeing. Only seeing the strobing on non-Dolby Vision HDR (HDR10 I assume) content. (USB drive and YouTube app.) Don't have a UHD Blu-ray player unfortunately.

Also I have not had any reboots. Dolby Vision on Netflix and Dolby apps are fine. SDR 4K is fine.

My manufacture date is even older than yours (October 2019) despite being delivered just a few days ago. I am guessing those Labor Day sale prices ($1499) were to move these old sets before anything new comes out. At that price, still going to hold onto this set...hoping to get some kind of fix.

I emailed TCL support about it earlier today.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I know and I have said this on prior post. It's more than 4k120 that the 2019 8 series can't do and its not because of the software which will reveal itself in the future updates, when the features that some are asking for does not come to this TV. It's not a software issue as I have said numerous times, earc/VRR and other add-ons are not limited due to the software but I didn't want to go into it too much. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and all of my sources are wrong but I doubt it.
If 2019 Series 6 can do eARC/VRR with firmware update (people have already received the beta 9.4 which enables it), then the higher end 2019 Series 8 surely can do that? :rolleyes:

Yes, I know you need hardware compatibility... This is why some HDMI 2.1 features are in even the 2020 Series -- which only has HDMI 20b. And 20b is why 2020 Series 6 can't do 4K @ 120Hz for gaming.

I just can't imagine 2019 Series 6 has "better" hardware than 2019 Series 8. But maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The 2021 8 series will be announced in late Oct, it will have everything but I'm hearing TCL is going in a new price realm in the U.S, so that does not sound good but it is what it is.

If Im right I don't know what I'll do because I don't want oled, I'm a gamer and a movie guy, oled has issues and a short life span. I'm also not paying over 3k for a TCL. Which im hearing the 2021 8 series will cost.
What price are you hearing? Also, isn't still considered 2020 model? Or are they going to pull a Vizo and call it "2021"?

FYI... Europe 2020 TCL 75" 8K with Vidrian is $10,000. Mentioned halfway through this article. But is IMAX certified

The top of the LCD line showed at IFA was a 75-inch 8K IMAX set with Vidrian miniLED backlight, available for a bit less than $10,000.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Displayport is a PC connection. That would be unusual to put it on a consumer electronics device. HDMI is the norm for a consumer electronics device.
Then why have game mode? Seriously, my roomie wanted to hook his gaming machine with a RTX2080 into my new 4K TV, and his card outputs 4K at 120hz with Displayport. I noticed the new Vizio for 2021 has 4K at 120hz, although its using HDMI 2.1, but displayport supports it now. Just wondered since 4K gaming monitors are all small.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What price are you hearing? Also, isn't still considered 2020 model? Or are they going to pull a Vizo and call it "2021"?

FYI... Europe 2020 TCL 75" 8K with Vidrian is $10,000. Mentioned halfway through this article. But is IMAX certified
The year is either a 20 or 21 that's really not clear nor did I dig deep enough to get the answer, the last I heard is there are two 8 series discussed which one they launch in Oct is the unclear but with the Oct launch around the corner and the console launch happening I hope it's the 4k 8 series. The 8k vidrian is going to be pricey but I doubt anything over 5k under America TCL label that would be shocking

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, this is not exactly what I am seeing. Only seeing the strobing on non-Dolby Vision HDR (HDR10 I assume) content. (USB drive and YouTube app.) Don't have a UHD Blu-ray player unfortunately.

Also I have not had any reboots. Dolby Vision on Netflix and Dolby apps are fine. SDR 4K is fine.

My manufacture date is even older than yours (October 2019) despite being delivered just a few days ago. I am guessing those Labor Day sale prices ($1499) were to move these old sets before anything new comes out. At that price, still going to hold onto this set...hoping to get some kind of fix.

I emailed TCL support about it earlier today.
This is exactly what I am seeing:

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is exactly what I am seeing:

A thread about it on official Roku community forums:

·
Registered
827 Posts
The year is either a 20 or 21 that's really not clear nor did I dig deep enough to get the answer, the last I heard is there are two 8 series discussed which one they launch in Oct is the unclear but with the Oct launch around the corner and the console launch happening I hope it's the 4k 8 series. The 8k vidrian is going to be pricey but I doubt anything over 5k under America TCL label that would be shocking
Yes, I knew about the two 2020 Series 8, both 4K and 8K. Several days ago in this thread, I even linked to the article that discussed it. What the person couldn't confirm was whether both would have Vidrian or just the 8K variant. He was betting on both, but TCL wouldn't say. Here's the excerpt below. This is AFTER he had just finished detailing about the new 8K Series 8:

Specifics have not yet been announced, but TCL will be introducing a 2020 version of the 8-Series QLED 4K Roku TV that updates the model we saw in 2019.

With TCL announcing HDMI 2.1 support on its 2020 TVs, we can definitely expect to see the new 8-Series offering the same 2.1-based features that have been touted for 2020, like variable refresh rates for gaming and THX gaming mode.

No details have been shared, but it also stands to reason that if TCL has a new, better version of mini-LED backlight, it is likely to show up on TCL's premium flagship 4K set. We haven't gotten confirmation that Vidrian will be making its way to the 4K 8-Series model yet, but we'll update this story when we know one way or the other

That article was "updated" in August to provide pricing information on the newly released 2020 Series 6, but main part of the article -- especially the about the Series 8 plans -- was written months ago.

However, since then things may have changed? In more recent articles, apparently due to the pandemic delays the 2020 4K Series 8 was no longer happening, only the new 2020 8K Series 8 version. That, instead, TCL would continue to sell the 2019 4K Series 8 alongside for the next year. With impending eARC (and maybe VRR) update it would be stand-in for what was going to be refreshed 2020 4K Series 8. No one has said "no 2020 4K Series 8" -- but they stopped talking about it and have said the 2019 Series 8 would continue to be sold in stores for the next year. So, yes, I'm jumping to what seems a logical conclusion.

This is also why the 2019 Series 6 eARC/VRR update (which is in 9.4 beta form currently) didn't happen in the 2nd quarter as originally forecast, but 4th quarter as it will be delivered same time as the 2019 Series 8 update. And that firmware update will make the 2019 Series 8 be the "stand-in" for what would have been 2020 4K Series 8. Not only pandemic delay, but also because business strategy changed.

I have no inside information. The information I have is from published reports of professionals who talk to TCL at trade shows and throughout the year and drop nuggets of intel. I'm just stitching together reports and using business logic. The delay on the firmware update isn't really a "delay" if it helps them sell more new 2020 Series 6 TVs vs already-sold 2019 Series 8 TVs. The 2020 Series 6 has to look better (eARC/VRR) for awhile, before the 2019 Series 8 catches up to become a "faux" 2020 4K Series 8? With 1,000 miniLED zones vs 240 zones, it would then be better than the 2020 Series 6.

Until now I have not heard whatsoever the 2019 Series 8 possibly couldn't handle VRR. But then I don't care about that. I only care about eARC.

IF there still is a 2020 4K Series 8, that may end up being my new TV instead of the 8K Series 8 if the latter is well over $3,000.

For pricing on the 8K Series 8, I see lots of variations on this:

When asked about pricing, TCL simply said that they aimed to keep prices in line with "the reputation for value" that other TCL models have established.
So, that's why the $10,000 Europe 75" 8K Vidrian TCL TV surprised me. Yes, it's for Europe, not U.S. and it's IMAX certified, but still...

==========
For everyone one else, here's relatively new review of the 2019 Series 8...

August 2020:

TCL 8-series 4K UHD TV review: This TV gets as close to OLED as any LCD has come
With thousands of mini LEDs forming its backlight array, TCL's 8-series Roku TV delivers blacks beyond what even the best LCD TVs from other manufacturers have managed.

·
UHD Addict
37,421 Posts
A thread about it on official Roku community forums:

This is what I see on all, HDr10 content, no matter what the setting.

Last night I reset the TV and unplugged it for a couple of hours. After that I did not see the same behavior with Dolby Vision. And I also did not see the issue where the screen would turn majorly dark if I made a change from HDR normal. With no way to get it to looking correctly again. Except to back out from playing the title. And I have not seen any reboots since then either

I wish my TV was like the TV in the video since HDR10 Dark with the normal brightness setting is what I was using. So I guess based on that I definitely need to exchange mine.

This TV is superb with DV. But with HDR10, mine constantly changes now between looking like really good HDr to over blown HDR to then looking like SDR. Rinse and repeat..

My 2018 6 Series does a superb job with HDR10 but not a great job with DV. While this series 8 is great with DV but crap with HDR10. So I hope an exchange will make a difference. Best buy said I could not start the exchange process on the same day as having it installed. So I need to call them later today to initiate the process.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0 Blue

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
UHD Addict
37,421 Posts
I finally called BestBuy back about the exchange. At least the initial call was painless. They are supposed to call me back with details about the exchange.

I really don't know what else to do. Since what I'm seeing does not seem to be the norm. Since any setting for HDR10 causes the same issues. With no way to stop it while watching any HDR10. WHether from an HDMI input or the internal apps. I just hope the new TV screen is good too. Because the current screen looked superb when I put up all the different color fields.

·
UHD Addict
37,421 Posts
I have no desire to disable HDR on content that is in HDR. I know I could do it from my external devices though. No idea if it's possible from the internal apps.

But I just got an email and call back from Bestbuy. They already scheduled the new delivery and exchange for the 24th, 7AM to 1PM. Although now I might need to take off work that day. On Saturday I was their first appointment. Although if that happens again, on the 24th, then I won't need to take off from work. Since I don't usually get into work until 10 to 11AM.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Good wishes on your replacement. I know what a pain it can be. Luckily, I have only had to replace one, and it was one of those old huge rear projection units with a color wheel. Amazon came back and packed it up for me.

·
UHD Addict
37,421 Posts
The possibility of needing an exchange was one reason I signed up for the service where Best Buy unboxes and installs the TV. Plus the TV is huge. SO I ended up buying the $200 Geek squad Total tech support, which is good for a year. Which takes the unbox and setup service down to only $50. Plus gives a discount on all protection plans and many items. WIth just the 8 Series TV purchase and another SHield TV pro purchase I came close to breaking even. So I figure by the time I purchase other items from best buy and possibly another TV, I will come out ahead in the long run. Before the year is up on the Geek Squad Total Tech support.

Another reason was that I need a new garbage disposal. I had no idea Best Buy even sold them. ANd installation is only $50 with Total Tech support. I can't be doing those things myself any more. My back hasn't been able to take being under a sink for a decade or so. I have to avoid being in positions like that if I want to put off the risky surgery needed on my back as long as possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The possibility of needing an exchange was one reason I signed up for the service where Best Buy unboxes and installs the TV. Plus the TV is huge. SO I ended up buying the $200 Geek squad Total tech support, which is good for a year. Which takes the unbox and setup service down to only $50. Plus gives a discount on all protection plans and many items. WIth just the 8 Series TV purchase and another SHield TV pro purchase I came close to breaking even. So I figure by the time I purchase other items from best buy and possibly another TV, I will come out ahead in the long run. Before the year is up on the Geek Squad Total Tech support.

Another reason was that I need a new garbage disposal. I had no idea Best Buy even sold them. ANd installation is only $50 with Total Tech support. I can't be doing those things myself any more. My back hasn't been able to take being under a sink for a decade or so. I have to avoid being in positions like that if I want to put off the risky surgery needed on my back as long as possible.
I just started an email chain with TCL support running through all their basic troubleshooting steps. (Didn’t make a difference.) Sent them the TV info and some clips of the problem.

On a side note, how do you like your Nvidia Shield? I am finding the Roku Media Player doesn’t like a lot of .mkv files I have. Have you tested playback with the Roku app vs the Shield?

Hope the replacement fixes the issue for you. I know if I get to a point of replacement, I’d probably opt for a different TV altogether. (Probably a Sony X900H.)

·
UHD Addict
37,421 Posts
I just started an email chain with TCL support running through all their basic troubleshooting steps. (Didn’t make a difference.) Sent them the TV info and some clips of the problem.

On a side note, how do you like your Nvidia Shield? I am finding the Roku Media Player doesn’t like a lot of .mkv files I have. Have you tested playback with the Roku app vs the Shield?

Hope the replacement fixes the issue for you. I know if I get to a point of replacement, I’d probably opt for a different TV altogether. (Probably a Sony X900H.)
I've been using the Shields for a couple of years. But I needed to pick up another 2019 model for the Dolby Vision. Since my Sony UHD TV did not have DV. It works better than the roku because it can bitstream the lossless audio codecs. While the ROku is limited to lossy audio. Most of my UHD content is in MKV containers. Which works great with the Shield TVs.

Reactions: terryseal

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just installed the TCL 65Q825 in my game room at home. You all may laugh, but it is replacing a still working Fujitsu P50 that I purchased in early 2004. That old plasma has served me well and I really don't want to throw it away (partly because it cost about 9k back then) but its time has passed for sure. I have a couple Sony 4k 65" units in other rooms and it took me a while to get the picture settings the way I wanted them to be. With my new TCL I definitely think the picture is too bright and the colors are a little unnatural. I have been manipulating all the PQ settings and seeing improvements but I am wondering if some other users have posted their settings on this forum. If so, can you send me a link to find them? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts

The person on the Roku community thread reported this on Twitter regarding the HDR10 flickering issue:

"Ive been in talks with a TCL rep the past weeks he says Rokus aware and working on a fix. Hopefully soon well see a update. I was picked as a tester for the update so wells see."

1361 - 1380 of 1677 Posts