AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1702 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Hey guys... as we announced, you'll soon see our latest update that will roll out VRR on select 6 Series, and eARC on select series, plus exiting news for Apple fans...get ready!

Bruce
I'm getting ready for this 2020 8 Series announcement. I'm super excited about it!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm getting ready for this 2020 8 Series announcement. I'm super excited about it!
It's actually a 2019 Series 8 announcement. ;) (eARC for the 2019 Series 8.)

But I'm also excited about the upcoming 2020 Series 8 announcement. ;). Besides 2020 8K Series 8 with Vidrian, will there be a 2020 4K Series 8 with Vidrian? Or any updated 2020 4K Series 8 at all? I know the 8K needs HDMI 2.1, but what about the alleged 4K version? Months ago, there was supposed to be both 2020 8K and 4K, but nothing heard recently.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
I thought they said things were pushed back because of the pandemic. So there would only be an 8K Series 8 this year.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is the Apple part.

This might just save me $200 and mean I don't need to buy an Apple TV after all. Other than being able to stream Disney+ with Dolby Vision (which apparently you still can't do in the native Roku app), I'm not sure what else I would gain from an ATV box.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I thought they said things were pushed back because of the pandemic. So there would only be an 8K Series 8 this year.
I think that's the case, but we'll see. If the 2020 8K version is way too much money, and there's no sibling 2020 4K version -- then the 75" 2019 4K Series 8 with eARC update is my next TV.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I think that's the case, but we'll see. If the 2020 8K version is way too much money, and there's no sibling 2020 4K version -- then the 75" 2019 4K Series 8 with eARC update is my next TV.
I am in the same boat but I am willing to wait for the 2020/21 Vidrian version of 4K 75"/85". (Not sure why anyone wants to pay for 8k) The Vidrian is the 2nd gen active matrix while the 2019 8 Series is first gen passive matrix. The numbers of local dimming zone will be quite different.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am in the same boat but I am willing to wait for the 2020/21 Vidrian version of 4K 75"/85". (Not sure why anyone wants to pay for 8k) The Vidrian is the 2nd gen active matrix while the 2019 8 Series is first gen passive matrix. The numbers of local dimming zone will be quite different.
Well, we are not sure there's going to be 2020 4K Series 8 with Vidrian. Originally rumored 2020 4K Series 8 (POSSIBLY with Vidrian) to accompany the 2020 8K Series 8 which will definitely have Vidrian. TCL source wouldn't confirm the Vidrian part to the blogger. But the rumor pipeline went silent on the 4K variant a few months ago. If jettisoned, then allegedly due to pandemic business decisions. We'll see.

I've already put off buying a TV for a year (since 2019) due to the amazing things that were promised for 2020 like HDMI 2.1 and eARC. IF there's no 2020 4k Series 8 (with or without Vidrian), I'm still buying a new 75" TV to replace my 60" 2014 1080p LG plasma. It will either be 2020 8K Series 8 or if that's more money than I can afford to spend then the 2019 series 8 with eARC. I'm not waiting until another year from now (2021).

·
Registered
63 Posts
TCL has finally announced, officially, that the 8-Series will be getting Apple AirPlay2 and eARC as part of the Roku OS 9.4 update "in the coming months." Unfortunately it appears the 2019 8-Series will miss out on the VRR. I suppose some updates are better than none.

Curious about the AirPlay2... I didn't think Apple ever licensed non-Apple devices with AirPlay (i.e. anything not called AppleTV) to stream video - only audio -, but this sentence from the release certainly seems to indicate we will be able to stream video to our 8-Series... "With AirPlay 2, Roku customers can stream, control, and share their favorite content directly from their iPhone, iPad, or Mac to their supported 4K Roku devices and bring the experience to the big screen." Yes? No?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know that TCL has both models ready to go but the one thing I dont understand is why push the 8k version this year and the 4k in 1st quarter 2021, when everyone wants the 4k 8series vidrian now. Now if TCL knocks the price out of the park with a 2999.99 8k vidrian than it will upset the entire industry and sell like water in the desert but thats not going to happen.
8k is super pointless and I have no clue why the industry is pushing a flagship 8k when very few is buying or interested especially in a pandemic year. Im assuming its the profit margins and TCL wants to move upmarket and they need a flagship to change their image as a premium brand but this is not the year to do that and its still pointless tech when 4k is still maturing. 4k at best is at its adolescent stage currently.

TCL I know you read all the forums first hand, Its a pandemic year launch the 2020 4k 8 series vidrian in Oct. NO one is rushing out to purchase the 8k unless its priced under 3k. Secondly by the time you start seeing 8k sales the other manufacturers will be on their 3rd gen 8k tech which again makes you launching your first gen 8k tech pointless right now.

TCL I know you have test marketing and a revised roadmap which states 8k launch in 4th quarter 2020, but a very very small population is looking at 8k due to its no 8k sourcing out there and the tech is still in its infancy.

A very very large population is looking for premium 4k NON-OLED with multiple hdmi 2.1 ports, VRR, 4k120, 48gbs, dolby vision, and all the other hdmi 2.1 goodies because of the launch of Xbox series X, PS5 and 3080,3090 series video cards. If you launch the 2020 4k 8 series you will be back logged with sales because you have very very little competition that has all of the hdmi 2.1 goodies as long as your pricing stays intact. You talking about a potential consumer base in the millions versus 8k consumer base in the thousands unless its sub 3k.

Lastly No one really cares about your image in a pandemic year with limited funds especially after people spending alot of money on one of three forms of entertainment launched which people are looking for the best tv to go with XSX, PS5, 3080.3090. I understand the marketing ideology to go upmarket but the psychology does not match up this year due to outside circumstances. Please launch the 2020 4k 8 series this oct in addition to the 8k or let the 8k wait until 1st quarter 2021. Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
TCL has finally announced, officially, that the 8-Series will be getting Apple AirPlay2 and eARC as part of the Roku OS 9.4 update "in the coming months." Unfortunately it appears the 2019 8-Series will miss out on the VRR. I suppose some updates are better than none.

Curious about the AirPlay2... I didn't think Apple ever licensed non-Apple devices with AirPlay (i.e. anything not called AppleTV) to stream video - only audio -, but this sentence from the release certainly seems to indicate we will be able to stream video to our 8-Series... "With AirPlay 2, Roku customers can stream, control, and share their favorite content directly from their iPhone, iPad, or Mac to their supported 4K Roku devices and bring the experience to the big screen." Yes? No?

Yes, Apple has been licensing Airplay 2 to many third party manufacturers for video and audio streaming. The reason being, they have subscription services (Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple Fitness coming soon, etc.) that cannot grow if limited to only being available on Apple TVs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I know that TCL has both models ready to go but the one thing I dont understand is why push the 8k version this year and the 4k in 1st quarter 2021, when everyone wants the 4k 8series vidrian now.
Wait... So they have a plan to release a 4K Series 8 with Vidrian in Q1 2021 -- AFTER the holidays? Possibly even after the Super bowl (another TV upgrade opportunity).* That's crazy.

I agree with everything you said, about gaming boxes, etc. And TCL reading the forums.

____

* When someone says "Q1", they aren't talking January. ;) Even though Q1 does technically include January. Corporate tech speak. Like when Microsoft says "H1 2021" (1st half of the year), that's code for "last week in June." They don't mean January, February, March,April, May... :cautious: They just don't want to blatantly say it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, Apple has been licensing Airplay 2 to many third party manufacturers for video and audio streaming. The reason being, they have subscription services (Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple Fitness coming soon, etc.) that cannot grow if limited to only being available on Apple TVs.

That is great news! Now I need to determine if the native Roku apps for Netflix, Prime, YouTube TV, and Disney+ can stream both Dolby Atmos & Dolby Vision. If so, I can't see why I would have any need for an Apple TV 4K.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I know that TCL has both models ready to go but the one thing I dont understand is why push the 8k version this year and the 4k in 1st quarter 2021, when everyone wants the 4k 8series vidrian now. Now if TCL knocks the price out of the park with a 2999.99 8k vidrian than it will upset the entire industry and sell like water in the desert but thats not going to happen.
8k is super pointless and I have no clue why the industry is pushing a flagship 8k when very few is buying or interested especially in a pandemic year. Im assuming its the profit margins and TCL wants to move upmarket and they need a flagship to change their image as a premium brand but this is not the year to do that
Because they're also releasing an Europe 8K version with Vidrian? IMAX certified, will cost $10,000. At least the top of the line version will.

U.S. Series 8 version won't be priced like that (and maybe not IMAX), but probably at least $5,000?

TCL had originally promised 8K in 2019, but didn't deliver. Maybe they feel they for their credibility they can't delay yet another year?

I agree with gaming box demand for 4K @ 120Hz and full HDMI 2.1 necessity.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Thanks for the information and I don't know if I'm the only one here to think this but I'm disappointed with this announcement. How can you make all these updates to lower series model and not include vrr for the 8 series? I could care less about AirPlay 2 because I'm not in the Apple ecosystem and this would only be applicable for those that are, said to me a limited audience at least in my household. I'm curious to hear from others how important or how would you weigh having VRR versus AirPlay 2 and why is it that either or when the six series has all of those features and I thought both the eight and the six series had the same HDMI chip.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
8k is super pointless and I have no clue why the industry is pushing a flagship 8k when very few is buying or interested especially in a pandemic year. Im assuming its the profit margins and TCL wants to move upmarket and they need a flagship to change their image as a premium brand but this is not the year to do that and its still pointless tech when 4k is still maturing. 4k at best is at its adolescent stage currently.

TCL I know you read all the forums first hand, Its a pandemic year launch the 2020 4k 8 series vidrian in Oct. NO one is rushing out to purchase the 8k unless its priced under 3k. Secondly by the time you start seeing 8k sales the other manufacturers will be on their 3rd gen 8k tech which again makes you launching your first gen 8k tech pointless right now.

TCL I know you have test marketing and a revised roadmap which states 8k launch in 4th quarter 2020, but a very very small population is looking at 8k due to its no 8k sourcing out there and the tech is still in its infancy.

A very very large population is looking for premium 4k NON-OLED with multiple hdmi 2.1 ports, VRR, 4k120, 48gbs, dolby vision, and all the other hdmi 2.1 goodies because of the launch of Xbox series X, PS5 and 3080,3090 series video cards...................
Maybe a large portion of this forum? But it is a niche market. Your average user has no clue about VRR, HDMI 2.1 etc.
Only a very small portion of the population is actually looking for HDMI 2.1, VRR, etc. since the vast majority of people don't even know anything about it.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Thanks for the information and I don't know if I'm the only one here to think this but I'm disappointed with this announcement. How can you make all these updates to lower series model and not include vrr for the 8 series? I could care less about AirPlay 2 because I'm not in the Apple ecosystem and this would only be applicable for those that are, said to me a limited audience at least in my household. I'm curious to hear from others how important or how would you weigh having VRR versus AirPlay 2 and why is it that either or when the six series has all of those features and I thought both the eight and the six series had the same HDMI chip.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
I got the 8 Series knowing full well it probably wasn't going to get VRR. I am fine with gaming at 2160P60. I don't even have any devices capable of eARC. But eARC would be the feature I am more likely to use in the future. Because I would rather have a high quality looking game at 2160P60 than have 2160P120 with lower quality graphics.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe a large portion of this forum? But it is a niche market. Your average user has no clue about VRR, HDMI 2.1 etc.
Only a very small portion of the population is actually looking for HDMI 2.1, VRR, etc. since the vast majority of people don't even know anything about it.
Go on youtube type in next gen gaming TV it's millions looking up and analyzing a new source for HDMI 2.1 not just us on here there's at least 50 listings with millions of viewers looking for HDMI 2.1 4k120 information. I think you hugely underestimating the gaming crowd. I just did a count of the top 15 videos of people viewing gaming tvs with hdmi 2.1 4k120, just the top 15 videos have over 5 million views total. You may think us on here is a small minority but this year you have the trifecta xbox series x, ps5, 3080 and 3090 that's over 6 million units in this 4 quarter of people around the world that has, want or is looking for a hdmi 2.1 4k120 TV of some kind. If TV sales capture 10 percent of that number that 600000 sales, that's not a small minority at all.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
Go on youtube type in next gen gaming TV it's millions looking up and analyzing a new source for HDMI 2.1 not just us on here there's at least 50 listings with millions of viewers looking for HDMI 2.1 4k120 information. I think you hugely underestimating the gaming crowd. I just did a count of the top 15 videos of people viewing gaming tvs with hdmi 2.1 4k120, just the top 15 videos have over 5 million views total. You may think us on here is a small minority but this year you have the trifecta xbox series x, ps5, 3080 and 3090 that's over 6 million units in this 4 quarter of people around the world that has, want or is looking for a hdmi 2.1 4k120 TV of some kind. If TV sales capture 10 percent of that number that 600000 sales, that's not a small minority at all.
Yes, I've seen some of those videos but
600K worldwide? That would definitely be a small number. And spread out over multiple manufacturers.

Personally though, I do know half a dozen people that have OLED sets with HDMI 2.1. But they did not get the TVs because of HDMi 2.1. ONly because they heard OLED was the best. They also will be playing few, if any, games on them. And if they do, it won't be with any source devices capable of HDMI 2.1. Heck they don't even have any UHD BD players.

I don't like how the OLED sets I've seen looked with brightness. You have to view them in a dark room to have the brightness look halfway decent. I definitely like how bright the 8 Series can get. An OLED doesn't hold a candle to how bright the 8 Series can get. Of course the OLED has other advantages. But for me, the brightness issue is one reason I did not even consider getting an OLED TV. Of course price is a factor was well. Which is why I'm glad I was able to pick up the 8 Series at a great one.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, I've seen some of those videos but
600K worldwide? That would definitely be a small number. And spread out over multiple manufacturers.

Personally though, I do know half a dozen people that have OLED sets with HDMI 2.1. But they did not get the TVs because of HDMi 2.1. They also will be playing few, if any, games on them. And if they do, it won't be with any source devices capable of HDMI 2.1. Heck they don't even have any UHD BD players.
While you mentioned HDMI 2.1 and OLED, I don't believe that is what we were originally speaking about, e.g. gaming and the having the availability of an important aspect of the 2.1 spec, VRR. I seriously doubt that a significant percentage of OLED users plan on doing serious gaming on their sets. The 8 series is a perfect platform to demonstrate TCLs leadership (120hz panel, Mini-LED, 1k zones).

I can't imagine that if their able to incorporate some of the 2.1 features with a 2.0 chipset in the 6-series that they can't also implement those same features in the 8-series. In your earlier reply to my original post you mentioned that you wouldn't want an inferior picture at a higher resolution. Who's to say that the picture would be inferior quality compared to the picture that's provided by the 6-series, what are you basing that statement on?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
A question to all 2019 Series 8 owners, is crushing still a scene on dark scenes or was it fixed by later firmware patches? I am in a position where I can get a 65" for pretty cheap. Thanks!

1421 - 1440 of 1702 Posts