AVS Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 2222 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes all panels, are different tastes are different, and room lights are different. A gamma of 2.4 is used for dark to dim lighting and 2.2 is used for bright rooms, at least that’s the way I learned when I learned on my pioneer plasma back in the day, and that’s the philosophy I stick to and it hasn’t done me wrong yet. The numbers I posted earlier were wrong they were a rough run, I’ll post my actual number with my 5% if you want them
Forgot to mention, mine are at 2.2 gamma.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Yeah, I also have a bright room and I don’t game (so 2.1 is not necessary for me). This 8 series is extremely bright. To the point that you don’t know if subtitles are blooming or its glare
Seriously, I had surgery on my eye, and the TV is so bright (even on dark setting) I had to go buy a pirate patch to cover the eye so I could watch football today.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Mine are way different than yours and also different to rtings (2.0). Sometimes I feel like I did it wrong but even rtings has a caveat that all units are different.
Are these settings after running the program for the iphone/pixel to calibrate it, or are you using pro equipment. If the latter, what are you using, where do you buy it, and how difficult is it to use? We have NO calibration places in our state, and even Best Buy said sorry, outta luck. I would buy the equipment, since I have plenty of TVs I could use it on if it was reasonable.

Reactions: rhale64L7

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are these settings after running the program for the iphone/pixel to calibrate it, or are you using pro equipment. If the latter, what are you using, where do you buy it, and how difficult is it to use? We have NO calibration places in our state, and even Best Buy said sorry, outta luck. I would buy the equipment, since I have plenty of TVs I could use it on if it was reasonable.
I did not use the iphone ipq calibration. I bought a used Colomunki on ebay for 90 dollars and downloaded the HCFR calibration software. Those settings are after calibration with everything turned off. If I tried to calibrate with contrast high I was never able to line up 10% to 40%. After watching that Maleficent movie I’m going to try to calibrate at 2.0 gamma and see if there is less black crush.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I did not use the iphone ipq calibration. I bought a used Colomunki on ebay for 90 dollars and downloaded the HCFR calibration software. Those settings are after calibration with everything turned off. If I tried to calibrate with contrast high I was never able to line up 10% to 40%. After watching that Maleficent movie I’m going to try to calibrate at 2.0 gamma and see if there is less black crush.
This one: https://smile.amazon.com/X-Rite-Col...d=1&keywords=colormunki&qid=1602371368&sr=8-3

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The 8 Series
Buy or stay away?
Depends what you want. TV viewing, highly recommended - might have to exchange as some panels have issues. For Gaming, go with the Series 6 which I believe has HDMI 2.1 and 120hz input. If you watch mainly movies, in a dark theatre, you might want to go with OLED. I am really happy with mine. I also have a Vizio without QLED, and a Panasonic Plasma. Once calibrated, they all look great in a dark room. Plasma (and OLED) have perfect blacks, but also are very dim. Bright room, this set it the one. PS, wait for a sale. Dont pay $3k.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 8 Series
Buy or stay away?
Assuming 75 inch. Bright room movies TCL8 at a price below 2K (the lowest I’ve sen it is 1.5K) or old Vizio Quantum X if you can find it. If bright room and gaming new Vizio Quantum X. If dark room LG CX. Those were the ones I was considering.
If 65 inches add Hisense H9G for bright rooms movie.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Depends what you want. TV viewing, highly recommended - might have to exchange as some panels have issues. For Gaming, go with the Series 6 which I believe has HDMI 2.1 and 120hz input.
2020 Series 6 does NOT have HDMI 2.1 (has 2.0b) and this 2019 Series 8 also has 120Hz display. (EDIT: but does not have 120Hz "input" like the 2020 Series 6).

Series 8 will have also have eARC after the imminent Roku 9.4 update.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
2020 Series 6 does NOT have HDMI 2.1 (has 2.0b) and this 2019 Series 8 also has 120Hz.

Series 8 will have eARC after the imminent Roku 9.4 update.

2020 Series 6 does NOT have HDMI 2.1 (has 2.0b) and this 2019 Series 8 also has 120Hz.

Series 8 will have eARC after the imminent Roku 9.4 update.
Howdy,

To clarify, both have 120Hz panels (great for movie watching, those who like smoothing, etc) whereas the 635 has a 120Hz input (up to 1440p) for gaming.

Hence my general advice that movie/TV lovers might prefer the 8 Series, while avid gamers (you know who you are!) Might prefer the 6 Series.

Either way, you're realistically getting one of the best sets out there...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Howdy,

To clarify, both have 120Hz panels (great for movie watching, those who like smoothing, etc) whereas the 635 has a 120Hz input (up to 1440p) for gaming.

Hence my general advice that movie/TV lovers might prefer the 8 Series, while avid gamers (you know who you are!) Might prefer the 6 Series.

Either way, you're realistically getting one of the best sets out there...
Bruce, tell TCL to release the Kraken!

(8K 2020 Series 8.)

Maybe this coming Tuesday or at least a Tuesday this month? I've noticed TCL tends to announce new products on Tuesdays.

2019 Series 8 - 2nd Tuesday in October
2020 Series 6 - 2nd Tuesday in August

Etc.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So, although TCL still won't release it's 2020 8k Series 8 (with Vidrian), they don't mind showing it off and talking about it:

Key display advances seen at DisplayWeek
October 13, 2020

TVs
One of the big uses of miniLEDs is in backlight units (BLUs) for TVs, where tens of thousands of miniLEDs replace hundreds of conventional LEDs. Why do this? The illumination of the backlight and the LCD panel are both modulated in response to the video signal. This double modulation dramatically increases the contrast and, by adding more or smaller LEDs at a higher density, more “zones” now exist to modulate. This enables less blooming or haloing around high-contrast areas (think moon on star background or credits on black background). The goal is to try to achieve the pixel-level high contrast offered by OLED displays.

China Star Optoelectronics Technology (CSOT) is the panel subsidiary under TCL, which offers a number of display-based consumer electronics products including TVs. At DisplayWeek, the company highlighted its miniLED BLU. CSOT noted that the manufacture of LED displays has historically placed them on printed circuit boards (PCBs) with passive-matrix driving.
CSOT showed its miniLED BLU with active-matrix driving on a glass substrate. Its 8K resolution display features 20,763 miniLEDs and is offered by TCL as its Vidrian display technology.
Because having only been seen at CES 9 months ago, it's starting to become an urban legend.

The TV section also told what Samsung and HiSense are doing...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are they aware and acknowledging there is an issue with the black crush or is it just hopeful wishing they fix it?
It is well known from day one. It is fixable through firmware. It is everyones wish. To my understanding TCL has not said that it is fixing it so it falls in a wishing list for all.

1601 - 1620 of 2222 Posts