AVS Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 1810 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is well known from day one. It is fixable through firmware. It is everyones wish. To my understanding TCL has not said that it is fixing it so it falls in a wishing list for all.
When has TCL said this???? They have already adjusted it to make it much better then when the tv first came out, but there is still work to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
So, although TCL still won't release it's 2020 8k Series 8 (with Vidrian), they don't mind showing it off and talking about it:

Because having only been seen at CES 9 months ago, it's starting to become an urban legend.

The TV section also told what Samsung and HiSense are doing...
20,763 mini LED. Doesn’t 2019 8 series have 25,000? Am I making 25k up? I thought I read/saw somewhere.

·
Registered
840 Posts
20,763 mini LED. Doesn’t 2019 8 series have 25,000? Am I making 25k up? I thought I read/saw somewhere.
Yes. Digital Trends says the 2019 75" Series 8 has OVER 25,000 miniLED:

"TCL’s innovation is the use of smaller LEDs, so they now number in the tens of thousands. Over 25,000, in the case of the 75-inch model."

However for the 2020 8K Vidrian Series 8 that recent article I posted didn't say which size has this "20,763 mini LED". Hopefully not the 75", but smaller?

·
UHD Addict
37,462 Posts
The 75" version has 25K. Not sure what the 65" version has.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I’m more interested to see what the zone counts are going to be.

Reactions: Cinematic0922

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone else have an issue when local dimming is set on high? When i put local dimming to High, in dark scenes sometimes the black at the top or bottom of the screen will flicker in difficult scenes. It only happens when local dimming is set on high. Only way to get rid of it is to turn the backlight to Zero.

Is this simply the limitations of QLED vs OLED or do I have a defective model? Also I've only had the set for 12 days

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone else have an issue when local dimming is set on high? When i put local dimming to High, in dark scenes sometimes the black at the top or bottom of the screen will flicker in difficult scenes. It only happens when local dimming is set on high. Only way to get rid of it is to turn the backlight to Zero.

Is this simply the limitations of QLED vs OLED or do I have a defective model? Also I've only had the set for 12 days
The tv wants to turn off the letterbox areas and will flicker during darker scenes. You can fix this by bumping your brightness up but that will hurt the black levels. I contacted TCL about this and they were able to replicate the issue. They said it will be addressed in a firmware update.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
UHD Addict
37,462 Posts
The TV has only been out around a year now. I did notice this issue with Lost in Space in the Cave scene from season 1.
But it wasn't distarcing. No tlike the strobing with HDR on the first set I got. My third set will be delivered Saturday so I hope it's better than my second set. And not a step back to the strobing the first set had.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
4 Posts
The TV has only been out around a year now. I did notice this issue with Lost in Space in the Cave scene from season 1.
But it wasn't distarcing. No tlike the strobing with HDR on the first set I got. My third set will be delivered Saturday so I hope it's better than my second set. And not a step back to the strobing the first set had.
You ordered 2 replacements of this TV?

·
UHD Addict
37,462 Posts
You ordered 2 replacements of this TV?
Yes. The second set has terrible black uniformity. To the point that I was noticing it in normal viewing. And it was becoming very annoying. I actually went back to watching my 2018 6 Series this week. Which has much better black uniformity than my second series 8 has.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was wondering everyones experience here with UHD player/disk. I only stream my UHD content and there is a lot of noise or grain in a lot of scenes that is driving me insane as there is no consistency. I go from wow to throwing up too many times in a single movie. Will a UHD player/disk remove the noise/grain? or should I seek a counselor for my mental problems?
Is there anything that can be done to make it better? Something you think makes it better?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was wondering everyones experience here with UHD player/disk. I only stream my UHD content and there is a lot of noise or grain in a lot of scenes that is driving me insane as there is no consistency. I go from wow to throwing up too many times in a single movie. Will a UHD player/disk remove the noise/grain? or should I seek a counselor for my mental problems?
Is there anything that can be done to make it better? Something you think makes it better?
It will look way better! Will it remove the grain/noise? Hard to say!

·
UHD Addict
37,462 Posts
The grain has to do with the content not with the streaming service. The grain will be there on the UHD BD too. Heck some titles even add artificial grain to make it look like film.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone noticing severe black crush tried setting brightness to 51 instead of 50? This was a recommendation from Mark Henninger on another thread where he claimed it pretty much eliminated the issue.

1621 - 1640 of 1810 Posts