AVS Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 2225 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
The grain has to do with the content not with the streaming service. The grain will be there on the UHD BD too. Heck some titles even add artificial grain to make it look like film.
I’ve read that players can send 5X the data than streaming. Hopefully streaming can give options to those that can handle more than 25MB/S and content is better/clearer.

Adding grain is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Has anyone noticing severe black crush tried setting brightness to 51 instead of 50? This was a recommendation from Mark Henninger on another thread where he claimed it pretty much eliminated the issue.
I just tried this and 51 is better, it did not eliminate it in the scene that I replayed. 52 did. Having said that, black was not black so contrast suffers and to me does not look good. I’ll take the black crush with deep blacks over no black crush because there is no black.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just tried this and 51 is better, it did not eliminate it in the scene that I replayed. 52 did. Having said that, black was not black so contrast suffers and to me does not look good. I’ll take the black crush with deep blacks over no black crush because there is no black.
After watching a good while I’m sticking with 51, you still get blacks and crush is much better but still get some in really dark scenes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am planning on getting a 75 inch TCL, the Series 8, 825, is $800 more than the Series 6, 635, No one in my area has either of these available to actually look at, for those of you that have actually seen them is the 825 worth the extra cost over the 635? Is there something else in their price range that is better?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am planning on getting a 75 inch TCL, the Series 8, 825, is $800 more than the Series 6, 635, No one in my area has either of these available to actually look at, for those of you that have actually seen them is the 825 worth the extra cost over the 635? Is there something else in their price range that is better?
Do you game? If so, go 635. If you don’t game and can wait, do so, as the TCL8 is marked down further and often making the gap between sets as low as 100 (which was my case). Another set that can be considered at the current TCL8 price point that you are looking at is the Vizio Quantum X.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Do you game? If so, go 635. If you don’t game and can wait, do so, as the TCL8 is marked down further and often making the gap between sets as low as 100 (which was my case). Another set that can be considered at the current TCL8 price point that you are looking at is the Vizio Quantum X.
I am not a gamer and the Vizio looks like it has way too many problems for me. I am thinking that since BB has a return on this model until Jan 2, that I should be able to get a price match if it goes lower.

·
UHD Addict
37,824 Posts
I guess i'm going to give up. The new 8 Series I got has better Black uniformity but then it has very visible DSE. And then you can see a horizontal line when there is bright white on the screen. It was very noticeable when I was watching the Winter version of Bering Sea gold. So overall this set is easily worse. It has a September manufacture date but at least it did not have the HDR strobing issue.
So I've either got to do another exchange or just return it and revisit getting another TV later.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I guess i'm going to give up. The new 8 Series I got has better Black uniformity but then it has very visible DSE. And then you can see a horizontal line when there is bright white on the screen. It was very noticeable when I was watching the Winter version of Bering Sea gold. So overall this set is easily worse. It has a September manufacture date but at least it did not have the HDR strobing issue.
So I've either got to do another exchange or just return it and revisit getting another TV later.
That sucks. Is the mfct date Sept20 or Sept19? What is your plan, move to another brand or model?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just created an account to thank those who commented on the strobing issues with HDR Bright. I was going insane trying to figure out what was going on and nearly returned the TV because of it. I followed a poster's suggestion (either here or the Roku forums) who suggested switching to HDR Normal, setting gamma to 1.8 [though I went back to 2.0] and tv brightness to Bright (or Brighter). It looks almost as good as HDR Bright and no flicker/strobing to complain about.

Everything else about this TV is amazing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am not a gamer and the Vizio looks like it has way too many problems for me. I am thinking that since BB has a return on this model until Jan 2, that I should be able to get a price match if it goes lower.
Where do you see this return period? I’ve not seen “extended” return periods as offers. Make sure before you pull the trigger.

·
UHD Addict
37,824 Posts
That sucks. Is the mfct date Sept20 or Sept19? What is your plan, move to another brand or model?
It was September 2019. I'll need to look from something on sale during t he Holidays or wait until next year sometime. Like when the 2021 sets come out.

Although after today I was seriously looking at the Vizio PQ X.But it would need to be on sale for around what I got the 8 series for. I did really like the 8 series. But the issues I had were more noticeable when viewing in low light. And since that is how I always watch TV, it is noticeable to me a fair amount ot time.

I was also looking at the OLED options. But they are also expensive for a larger size or only 65 inches at a decent price. Im not a fan of the low light levels of OLED, but if I watch in a room with no ambient light I could probably live with it.

And then I went back to considering the 2020 Series 6. Since I have been very pleased with my 2018 version. But having that also spoiled me and made the issues I saw with the Series 8 more noticeable. Since my Series 6 did not have them.

But no matter what decision I make I need to make compromises. I just know I definitely cannot keep the series 8 they delivered today.:(

Sent from my Tab A 8.0 Blue

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Where do you see this return period? I’ve not seen “extended” return periods as offers. Make sure before you pull the trigger.
From BB's site.
Return and exchange periods - Extended holiday return policy
Purchases made October 13, 2020 through January 2, 2021 have an extended return period through January 16, 2021, excluding items purchased with a third-party contract (e.g., cell phones, cellular tablets and cellular wearables, AppleCare monthly plans, etc.), holiday products (e.g., artificial trees, lights, decorations, etc.) and major appliances. All other terms and conditions of the Best Buy Return & Exchange Promise apply.
If you want to return or exchange your purchase, please know that the time period begins the day you receive your product and applies to new, clearance, open-box, refurbished and pre-owned products. This policy applies to purchases from Best Buy, Pacific Sales, Magnolia Design Center, Best Buy Education, Best Buy for Business and Best Buy Express kiosks.
Qualifying purchaseLast day of return window
Cell phones, cellular tablets and cellular wearables14 days after purchase
Major appliances and holiday products15 days after purchase
Most productsJanuary 16, 2021
My Best Buy Elite member purchasesFrom October 13 to December 17, 2020: January 16, 2021
On or after December 18: 30 days after purchase
My Best Buy Elite Plus member purchasesFrom October 13 to December 2, 2020: January 16, 2021
On or after December 3, 2020: 45 days after purchase

·
UHD Addict
37,824 Posts
BEST BUY was showing a return period through sometime in January when I was looking at some things earlier. But I just looked on this tablet and I'm not seeing it now. Earlier I was using a desktop pc.

·
Registered
958 Posts
It was September 2019. I'll need to look from something on sale during t he Holidays or wait until next year sometime. Like when the 2021 sets come out.

Although after today I was seriously looking at the Vizio PQ X.But it would need to be on sale for around what I got the 8 series for. I did really like the 8 series. But the issues I had were more noticeable when viewing in low light. And since that is how I always watch TV, it is noticeable to me a fair amount ot time.

And then I went back to considering the 2020 Series 6. Since I have been very pleased with my 2018 version. But having that also spoiled me and made the issues I saw with the Series 8 more noticeable. Since my Series 6 did not have them.

But no matter what decision I make I need to make compromises. I just know I definitely cannot keep the series 8 they delivered today.:(
Very sorry to hear about this, but thank you for sharing your experiences.

I'm still waiting to buy myself, to replace my 60" plasma -- which still has excellent colors, excellent blacks, and excellent off-angle viewing, but it is not 4K nor does it pass Dolby Atmos. This 2019 Series 8 is still at the top of my list of TVs currently available for sale, because it has more miniLED/moze dimming zones than the 2020 Series 6, also has true 120Hz and is also getting eARC. I was only waiting to see the 2020 8K Series 8 with Vidrian announcement to see how bad that bite will be ($4,000, $4,500?)... But now that we are hearing rumors again of possible 2020/2021 4K Series 8 (maybe in Q1 2021?), so I may hold off until then. If there is a 2021 4K Series 8, it will be announced at January CES.

I was also looking at the OLED options. But they are also expensive for a larger size or only 65 inches at a decent price. Im not a fan of the low light levels of OLED, but if I watch in a room with no ambient light I could probably live with it.
Can't do OLED. I want at least a 75" after having two 60" 1080p over the last 12 years. I seem to buy a new TV every six years... OLED of that size would be 2nd mortgage. Also I need a brighter TV and TCL offers that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anyone actually gotten the 9.4 update? Was suppose to start rolling out on the 10th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
From BB's site.
Return and exchange periods - Extended holiday return policy
Purchases made October 13, 2020 through January 2, 2021 have an extended return period through January 16, 2021, excluding items purchased with a third-party contract (e.g., cell phones, cellular tablets and cellular wearables, AppleCare monthly plans, etc.), holiday products (e.g., artificial trees, lights, decorations, etc.) and major appliances. All other terms and conditions of the Best Buy Return & Exchange Promise apply.
If you want to return or exchange your purchase, please know that the time period begins the day you receive your product and applies to new, clearance, open-box, refurbished and pre-owned products. This policy applies to purchases from Best Buy, Pacific Sales, Magnolia Design Center, Best Buy Education, Best Buy for Business and Best Buy Express kiosks.
Qualifying purchaseLast day of return window
Cell phones, cellular tablets and cellular wearables14 days after purchase
Major appliances and holiday products15 days after purchase
Most productsJanuary 16, 2021
My Best Buy Elite member purchasesFrom October 13 to December 17, 2020: January 16, 2021
On or after December 18: 30 days after purchase
My Best Buy Elite Plus member purchasesFrom October 13 to December 2, 2020: January 16, 2021
On or after December 3, 2020: 45 days after purchase
With that return period you can basically sample TVs so you can experience it in your own setting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
BEST BUY was showing a return period through sometime in January when I was looking at some things earlier. But I just looked on this tablet and I'm not seeing it now. Earlier I was using a desktop pc.

I can’t see it in my phone. That may be the problem. But it is an intriguing option if they price match through the period.

·
UHD Addict
37,824 Posts
The Series 8 I replaced had not received 9.4and the new one has not either. And my 6 has not yet. But my 2019 Roku Ultra received 9.4. But then my Roku Streaming stick+ has not received. The updates are typically rolled out slowly over many weeks.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Blue

1641 - 1660 of 2225 Posts