AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1806 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I just tried this and 51 is better, it did not eliminate it in the scene that I replayed. 52 did. Having said that, black was not black so contrast suffers and to me does not look good. I’ll take the black crush with deep blacks over no black crush because there is no black.
I used the AVS videos, and ended up with Brightness at 53 and Contrast at 96. Looks awesome. During prolonged fades to black, I cant even tell the TV is turned on.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I guess i'm going to give up. The new 8 Series I got has better Black uniformity but then it has very visible DSE. And then you can see a horizontal line when there is bright white on the screen. It was very noticeable when I was watching the Winter version of Bering Sea gold. So overall this set is easily worse. It has a September manufacture date but at least it did not have the HDR strobing issue.
So I've either got to do another exchange or just return it and revisit getting another TV later.
Do they have ANY floor models to look at? All the reviews seem to like the higher end Samsungs and Sonys. My plan was always to just add $500 and get the 2021 Vizio PX if this one didnt work out, but I got lucky, and it doesnt have any of the problems except for my no ARC audio problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used the AVS videos, and ended up with Brightness at 53 and Contrast at 96. Looks awesome. During prolonged fades to black, I cant even tell the TV is turned on.
I’ve never played with those settings and left what rtings suggest. Is there a way to play the AVSHD without having to burn to a DVD or BD? The thread I found is like 10yrs old. Also, did you have contrast set to high while doing AVS and did you calibrate white balance before or after the picture adjustments?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do they have ANY floor models to look at? All the reviews seem to like the higher end Samsungs and Sonys. My plan was always to just add $500 and get the 2021 Vizio PX if this one didnt work out, but I got lucky, and it doesnt have any of the problems except for my no ARC audio problem.
This was also my plan, jump to the same model too. What is your ARC problem? I had my TV audio set to “auto passthrough” and experienced clipping then changed it to “auto detect” and clipping went away. Under both scenarios it was detecting DD+ and was sending the same signal. Don’t know why one clips and the other doesn’t when the receiver is also detecting the same signal.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
This was also my plan, jump to the same model too. What is your ARC problem? I had my TV audio set to “auto passthrough” and experienced clipping then changed it to “auto detect” and clipping went away. Under both scenarios it was detecting DD+ and was sending the same signal. Don’t know why one clips and the other doesn’t when the receiver is also detecting the same signal.
I used the Plex Server I run to display the AVS files on the TV using the Plex app both directly on the TV for the built in apps, and with an external FireTV stick running through my AVR for all the other inputs. I had contrast set to high. I never change that, since the black uniformity with it off is horrible.
My arc problem is no audio at all goes to my AVR from the TV using the ARC input. I have no way to test if it is the TV or the AVR that is the problem. Toslink works fine. I am just using that. I very rarely use the apps on the TV, as I have everything including a 4K Roku plugged into the AVR and use it for switching.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I used the Plex Server I run to display the AVS files on the TV using the Plex app both directly on the TV for the built in apps, and with an external FireTV stick running through my AVR for all the other inputs. I had contrast set to high. I never change that, since the black uniformity with it off is horrible.
My arc problem is no audio at all goes to my AVR from the TV using the ARC input. I have no way to test if it is the TV or the AVR that is the problem. Toslink works fine. I am just using that. I very rarely use the apps on the TV, as I have everything including a 4K Roku plugged into the AVR and use it for switching.
Check your AVR and see if it has an ARC setting. If it does, enable it and see if that helps. I have a Denon and needed to enable ARC in the receiver settings

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,462 Posts
Well I guess I will be trying again :eek: . The lady on the phone convinced me to try it again. So they will be picking up the old one an delivering a new on on OCtober 27th.
Another problem with this one is the HDMI 4, ARC port is intermittent. Even plugging a device in like a roku 4K stick or Amazon 4K stick it's a crapshoot whether a picture will show up. While with the other HDMI inputs a picture shows up right away. But since a speaker bar is being used with the ARC port it's more of an issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check your AVR and see if it has an ARC setting. If it does, enable it and see if that helps. I have a Denon and needed to enable ARC in the receiver settings

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Another thing I forgot to mention on my Onkyo, I had to enable “enhanced HDMI” which is not in the manual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I guess I will be trying again :eek: . The lady on the phone convinced me to try it again. So they will be picking up the old one an delivering a new on on OCtober 27th.
Another problem with this one is the HDMI 4, ARC port is intermittent. Even plugging a device in like a roku 4K stick or Amazon 4K stick it's a crapshoot whether a picture will show up. While with the other HDMI inputs a picture shows up right away. But since a speaker bar is being used with the ARC port it's more of an issue.
Good luck!! If only there was a place that you can sample the unit you are purchasing just like you were going strawberry picking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep, ARC was turned on (Marantz) and all the settings were tried.
PS Good luck AARONWT, we are pulling for ya.
So I found the videos in YT. Following the instructions I end up with brightness at 48 and contrast at 84. It is just too dark so I turned brightness up but left contrast untouched as it helped with the grain/noise that I’m experiencing.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
So I found the videos in YT. Following the instructions I end up with brightness at 48 and contrast at 84. It is just too dark so I turned brightness up but left contrast untouched as it helped with the grain/noise that I’m experiencing.
Yea, the exact numbers might change from TV to TV depending on the backlight setting. I have mine set to 'DARK'

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yea, the exact numbers might change from TV to TV depending on the backlight setting. I have mine set to 'DARK'
[/QUOT
After running the videos on YT, the backlight settings does not change the black reference so I left mine at “BRIGHTER” and brightness at 50 (if I move it bars appear if I move to 51) and contrast at 73. I calibrated (tweaked previous) the white balance once again and now the noise/grain is GREATLY improved.
Another thing to note is that the native apps in the TV have more of this noise/grain than the same app through my Fire Cube so even though they fixed the HDR I’m going to keep using the FC.

1661 - 1680 of 1806 Posts