AVS Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 2222 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought TCL already announced the there would only be 8K Vidrian sets this year? That they pushed back the 4K Vidrian sets to next year.
TCL hasn't announced what they are going to do, not even to insiders.

Both tvs the 4k and 8k vidrian are ready but they been tight lipped on what they are going to do.

Both was supposed to come out same time then the 4k was pushed back to 2021, and it was 8k only in 2020. Now it's under review what they are going to do. Something will be released but both tvs are ready, it just depends on what they want to do in the marketplace.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Wonder if he had a pre-release version, considering the date on the video.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Interesting that TCL is pouring tons of money into inkjet OLED, and more interestingly from my point of view, QDOLED, which are emissive quantum dot displays.

By the way, does anybody know the average or peak power consumption of the set? I couldn't find it on TCL's website. Also is the stand sturdy enough to support the television in an earthquake area?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I see no reason why TCL would not want to go head to head with LG in OLED panel manufacturing, especially considering the method they plan to use is cheaper and results in more good panels. Apparently they feel their next release in mini-LED will be the end of the road on innovation on that platform. I would have liked to see them work on MicroLED direct view, but if they can bring 77"+ OLED panels down to where they cost the same as QLED, they would stand to make lots of cash, considering the cheapest 77" OLED is currently over $3500. I am guessing LG has pretty much exhausted the high end market, and apparently cannot make money in the mid-price market or we would have started seeing $2000 77" models by now. As for QDOLED, would that make the panel brighter?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting that TCL is pouring tons of money into inkjet OLED, and more interestingly from my point of view, QDOLED, which are emissive quantum dot displays.

By the way, does anybody know the average or peak power consumption of the set? I couldn't find it on TCL's website. Also is the stand sturdy enough to support the television in an earthquake area?
Rtings review states power consumption:
Power Consumption 71 W
Power Consumption (Max) 238 W

The stand is sturdy and thick/heavy metal. Not sure if it would survive an earthquake, though!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I see no reason why TCL would not want to go head to head with LG in OLED panel manufacturing, especially considering the method they plan to use is cheaper and results in more good panels. Apparently they feel their next release in mini-LED will be the end of the road on innovation on that platform. I would have liked to see them work on MicroLED direct view, but if they can bring 77"+ OLED panels down to where they cost the same as QLED, they would stand to make lots of cash, considering the cheapest 77" OLED is currently over $3500. I am guessing LG has pretty much exhausted the high end market, and apparently cannot make money in the mid-price market or we would have started seeing $2000 77" models by now. As for QDOLED, would that make the panel brighter?
Both LG and TCL say they hope to have inkjet OLED TVs on the market by 2024.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Power Consumption 71 W

The stand is sturdy and thick/heavy metal. Not sure if it would survive an earthquake, though!
So does that mean that most of the time the set consumes 71 W?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If you are good at math...Im not.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
OK, here you go: Standby 35W
SDR bright screen: 121W (Dark setting)
SDR bright screen: 182W (Brighter setting)
HDR bright screen: 165W (Dark setting)
HDR with everything set to max bright: 303W

Measured with Powerchute UPS software.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Power Consumption 71 W

Some safety straps will help, but wall mount is probably the safest way. If the big one comes, then nothing will save your TV, but the TV will be last thing I would worry about.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Would you put safety straps around the built in stand, affixing it to the furniture beneath?

By the way, for those who are interested, Hisense will be releasing dual cell TVs in the US during the first quarter 2021. Probably 4K.

In the same sense that the Mini LED is innovative, the dual cell is ingenious to say the least, as it will effectively create over 2,000,000 dimming zones. That has to be good, and it's an exceedingly clever way of utilizing the overflow of LCD panels in China to create something completely new.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Would you put safety straps around the built in stand, affixing it to the furniture beneath?

By the way, for those who are interested, Hisense will be releasing dual cell TVs in the US during the first quarter 2021. Probably 4K.

In the same sense that the Mini LED is innovative, the dual cell is ingenious to say the least, as it will effectively create over 2,000,000 dimming zones. That has to be good, and it's an exceedingly clever way of utilizing the overflow of LCD panels in China to create something completely new.
I would affix the safety straps to the wall. This TV is heavy, the 75" is 110 lb. Unless you have a very heavy furniture, the TV can tip over the furniture beneath if safety straps affixing to it.

·
UHD Addict
37,820 Posts
I guess this is going to be it with the 8 Series:( for me. The replacement TV only had a faint horizontal line this time. But now anytime you have something white, and it moves across screen or the camera pans, you see a bunch of vertical bars. I was watching some of Altered Carbon. And someone had on a tux with a white shirt. And it was very noticeable when the moved on screen. Any light color shows it, but white is the worst.

So I guess I will just need to return this and give up :(
And then re-evaluate what my options are. And hopefully get something during black Friday week. I might go with the 2020 75" 6 series or the 75" Vizio PQX if they drop down in price Black Friday week. But I've spent way to much time with the Series 8. I will certainly miss it since I really liked the way the stand was and the picture was superb when these issues weren't on screen.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I for sure would give up on mail order and make them show you whatever you want in the store. I don't know where you are, but Memphis has one in stock. If you could find a store that has one in stock that you could test while at the store, that would probably be your best option. Ive only seen the Vizio PQX on sale once for $100 off. From the reviews, that is another lotto TV. Maybe if you called TCL directly, they could send someone to your house and actually fix the one you have to make it perfect.

·
UHD Addict
37,820 Posts
I was looking at my orders at it seems to show where the 8 series they delivered came from.
The last one came from Joplin, MO. And the previous one came from Bolingbrook, IL. ANd they were both made in September 2019. So I guess there were not any nearby?

Plus it's not like you can look at it and find the issues right away. I always ran the test patterns to check for DSE, Black and Gray Uniformity, and the gray horizontal bar. But these vertical bars I had not seen with any of the other sets.
I watched content for around six hours last night on the 8 Series they delivered yesterday. And I saw the vertical bar issue at least a dozen times. The picture looks great in scenes that don't show it. But when it's visible it is jarring. It is even worse the seeing the horizontal gray bar. But this set was another 2019 set. And those had the most issues out of the four sets I've had.

If I could go back in time I would have just kept the second set. But of course that is not an option and hindsight is 20/20.

1801 - 1820 of 2222 Posts