AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I am so wanting to at least try this set out, but there are very few reviews minus Amazon. Locally Microcenter has a few "New" in stock and a few open "verified" for about $594,so tempted.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went ahead and took the plunge I will have pics and impressions with 2k content and its upscaling ability later tonight or tomorrow. I will try loading 4k content on USB and see what this thing can do.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's get a few of the important things out of the way before moving on to a little nit picking. The TCL offers a 4k VA panel (excellent black levels) display with a pretty great upscaler for non 4k content. Watching Prometheus and Pacific Rim which are already meticulously detailed films were impressive. The Kaiju of PR upscaled were so finely detailed it was as impressive as the first time I saw the dinosaurs of Jurassic park. I have spent about 3 hrs gaming on the TCL and Infamous:Second son and Metal Gear:GZ were unbelievable with no perceptible lag (don't have a meter). Infamous's particle effects and neon of Seattle are mind-blowingly beautiful. It is equipped with ample inputs including 3x4K HDMI ports, 1 MHL supported HDMI and 1 component. If you purchase display first thing you need is the 2.9mb firmware update that will fix lip-sync issues as well as smearing/overdrive trailing issue. I tried display before update and while fantastic image depth, some darker areas exhibited smearing during panning shots. After firmware update I have put it through a torture test of dark material and cannot see issue with smearing. The built in audio is serviceable, but not perfect. The only real fly in the ointment is lack of fine picture adjustments and optical output (only SPDIF).

The HDCP handshake is a little finicky as well,HDMI 4 labeled "MHL" (not 4k) has an issue with 1080p handshake. The "advanced" picture setting offers a "game" mode that turns off all interpolation,but has to be reset everytime you exit an app. While annoying not a deal breaker for a cheap 4k entry point,but makes more excited for Vizio's P-series in the fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased one a couple months back. It is in a little use area and I am just using a antenna for local stations and Blu-ray player with apps. I did the update using a USB thumb drive. I use the personal video setting which allows adjustment. Built in speakers are good. Much better than my 50" Samsung 3D plasma. My biggest complaint is the SPDIF out. I want to run the audio out into a DAC and then into my stereo system. The output voltage is extremely low. It is not possible to get adequate volume. Cables and DAC are all known performers with plenty of output from other sources. Contrast and Blacks are impressive compared to the plasma.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge01  /t/1523927/tcl-le50uhde5691-4k-display-699-99#post_24528375

I purchased one a couple months back. It is in a little use area and I am just using a antenna for local stations and Blu-ray player with apps. I did the update using a USB thumb drive. I use the personal video setting which allows adjustment. Built in speakers are good. Much better than my 50" Samsung 3D plasma. My biggest complaint is the SPDIF out. I want to run the audio out into a DAC and then into my stereo system. The output voltage is extremely low. It is not possible to get adequate volume. Cables and DAC are all known performers with plenty of output from other sources. Contrast and Blacks are impressive compared to the plasma.
Agreed S/PDIF is a bummer and the fact that interpolation is active unless in "game" mode in the advanced menu. The game mode will reset itself everytime you exit an application. In my case it is hooked up to a Uverse cable box and PS4. While playing PS4 if for any reason I exit to the dashboard it will turn game mode off and if I return to game have to turn on again. Cable TV looks kinda odd as well the scaler on this when working makes everyone look as though they are made of wax. That is with box running at 1080i/720p.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts