AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched and recorded this flik and was not able to finalize...nor would it allow title.

I watched Sat eve...tried to finalize Sun AM.

I have recorded many a TCM and never a prob...E80.

Is this a coincidence?

Will I have to go to HHD....or use Facet in BTW recorder and Satellite?

Well...it happened again...TCM...ie. Wild Rovers.

No problem with Sunset Blvd.

So....I put it back in ..same problem.

So...I took the side of my hand and wiped the recorded side...put back in and BINGO..

all is ok.

I just tried Charade and BINGO.

Is it a static charge? is it dust?....is it heat?

All discs were from a spindle....protected.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the particular disc; every once in a blue moon a fussy disc prevents finalizing. I used to see this problem a little more often with older Princo brand discs.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Does the program reside on your HDD and you were High Speed dubbing to disc, or did you record it straight to DVD-R? If it's on your HDD, just dub/reburn a new disc, there was probably a problem with the first disc as v-nut suggests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webscout
Will I have to go to HHD....or use Facet in BTW recorder and Satellite?
You kinda lost me here, but if you are suggesting that TCM is using copyright protection management (CRPM) or whatever its called, I can tell you this is probably not the case. I record almost exclusively from TCM and have never encountered copy protection.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the disc.....as I recorded BandWagon...no prob. I generally record direct to disc.

My concern was that TCM was using Copyright Protection....something new.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think you had a glitch in the media or the recorder. I record a ton of stuff from TCM with no problem. I have had an occasional finalization failure. For some of them I could recover the data from the disc using Isobuster.

My tale of woe on this was in another thread. I record numerous TV shows each week, both how-to and episodic television. I was recording them on the hard drive and dubbing them to DVD-R each week and then deleting from the hard drive. When the DVD-R would be full, I would finalize. On two occasions, I went to finalize the disc but the process failed and trashed the disc, the previously dubbed eps which were no longer on the HD were lost. The last ep may have still been on the hard drive and recoverable.

Now, I record the edited eps to DVD-RAM, wait for a full disc worth and then move them to DVD-R and recycle the RAM disc. I do this last bit by either copying them back to the HD on the set top and dub to DVD-R or through the computer using TDA. I do not delete anything from the RAM disc until I know the finalized disc is playable in multiple devices.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
TCM is not using copyright protection. Webscout, I don't understand why you are not recording to HDD first then dubbing to DVD-R. By recording in real time to DVD-R you are setting yourself up for exactly the type of thing that you encountered. If the disc is still playable, you can loop the output of the E80 to the input of the E80 and dub the program to your HDD (by playing the disc and simultaneously hitting record via the HDD). You can then high speed dub the program to another DVD-R. Good luck.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just recorded a bunch of TCM movies (from the same Cary Grant festival, and from the Glenn Ford festival) with no problem, so I bet it is the media.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari
TCM is not using copyright protection. Webscout, I don't understand why you are not recording to HDD first then dubbing to DVD-R. By recording in real time to DVD-R you are setting yourself up for exactly the type of thing that you encountered. If the disc is still playable, you can loop the output of the E80 to the input of the E80 and dub the program to your HDD (by playing the disc and simultaneously hitting record via the HDD). You can then high speed dub the program to another DVD-R. Good luck.
I record a ton of movies....going to HHD and dubb?....too much wear and tear...time.

I rarely have problems.

Tip? for those who want to get rid of the recorder menu and want an additional copy..re-author using DVD Shrink. Using Shrink for making backup copies of purchased DVD...also good for re-author and getting rid of unwanted stuff ...and improving compression. Nero for burning works well.

I will try the loop technique...first time. The disc is playable in the E-80.

Dont forget end of Aug...The Treasure of the Sierra Madre...

Also curious re ISOBUSTER as posted above.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Isobuster is primarily a data recovery tool for damaged CD's and DVD's.

It has two levels, a free version and the paid version. The paid can do more file recovery than the free version. Using the free version, I was able to recover some programs recorded on a set top recorder for which the disc had been hosed during the burning or the finalization process. I extracted the VOB files and reauthored them into a working program in TDA. I may have to pop for the registered version because I have some discs that require a greater level of recovery and Isobuster is telling me that level of recovery must be done with the registered version.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
I record a ton of movies....going to HHD and dubb?....too much wear and tear...time.

I rarely have problems.
Uh, so why did you get a HDD-based recorder in the first place????

Hey, just trying to help you get the most out of your recorder and minimize the chance of getting a faulty disc so you can avoid all the hassle you are going through now or worse yet, losing the copy of that rarely broadcast movie altogether. By recording it directly to DVD-R you have zero margin for error. By recording it to the HDD, you have multiple chances to get it right.

Wear and tear from dubbing to disc? Are you serious? That's what these HDD recorders are DESIGNED to do. Good luck, but hopefully you won't be coming back to the forum again asking for help the next time a disc doesn't finalize. You can lead a horse to water...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hold on here...did you have a bad day?

I generally use HDD for stuff I dont want to record to DVD....I will for example...The Treasure of the Sierra Madre...as this rarely plays....and I want perfect start to finish.

I record Mad Money to HHD....movies etc.

As to wear and tear....if I just have one pass...I would assume there is less wear and tear?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Hold on here...did you have a bad day?
Yeah it started when I tried to help you out by telling you how you can have more reliable recordings and you basically blew me off with your response.

Quote:
I generally use HDD for stuff I dont want to record to DVD....I will for example...The Treasure of the Sierra Madre...as this rarely plays....and I want perfect start to finish.

I record Mad Money to HHD....movies etc.
Well...not only did you contradict yourself (twice) in the same sentence, you just contradicted what you said previously regarding dubbing being too hard...So you've basically lost me in your response and made me realize I've probably been wasting my time responding to this thread...

Quote:
As to wear and tear....if I just have one pass...I would assume there is less wear and tear?
Of course there is less wear and tear but because these decks are designed precisely to be used the way I described (record to HDD, edit, then dub to disc) then it shouldn't really make a difference as far as the deck is concerned (e.g., the HDD is continually spinning when you use the deck, whether you record to it or not). Point being, do you want to have the most reliable recording to DVD-R at the expense of some relatively insignificant wear and tear or do you want to roll the dice on a real time recording to DVD-R. It's up to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks....but I dont have a real problem here.....

As my post stated I ran into an unusual situation...rare. I raised the question of Copyright?

Maybe I had a media problem....all is well.

Lets agree to disagree.:).....This aint brain surgery...

Like many..I have AV coming out of the wazoo. :D

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Thanks....but I dont have a real problem here.....

As my post stated I ran into an unusual situation...rare. I raised the question of Copyright?

Maybe I had a media problem....all is well.

Lets agree to disagree.:).....This aint brain surgery...

Like many..I have AV coming out of the wazoo. :D
Are...we....supposed to....fill in blanks...his posts?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE..Well...it happened again...TCM...ie. Wild Rovers.

No problem with Sunset Blvd. (recorded prior)

So...I took the side of my hand and wiped the recorded side...put back in and BINGO..

all is ok.

All discs were from a spindle....protected

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
UPDATE..Well...it happened again...TCM...ie. Wild Rovers.

No problem with Sunset Blvd. (recorded prior)

all is ok.

All discs were from a spindle....protected
Are you....recording directly...to DVD?

Why not try....recording directly to the hard drive...as vferrari suggested...and high speed burn...to DVD?

Recording...movies back to back...? Possible overheating/overworking issue....?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I record sometimes 4...5..6... movies a day...I do just fine recording directly...I am homebound so I can monitor.

Something happened when I recorded Wild Rovers......there was an Overture..screenshot and music for about 2 minutes.....first time to see this. I was doing a Flex rate recording so I had to Pause a bit....it was 12 midnight and I wanted to go to bed. As it turned out ..right on the button.

Starting soon...Bogey movies..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aliens are always welcome.. :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.