AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago I bought a Samsung 50B650 which is totally awesome picturewise but has that annoying buzz problem. I still have 2 weeks to return it -- I'm trying to decide if it's worth bringing it back since the buzzing is really dependant and sometime you can / can't hear it. Anyways.

I went to the store yesterday and they had a discounted Panasonic TCP50V10, which is the demo unit; I could swap it for around the same price as my Sammy. The guy tells me it's been there for a month, of course running in torch mode all along.

I was looking at the panasonic and here's what I saw (I stole a pic from somewhere here in the forums):

I couldn't get the blacks to look as black as my Sammy. In fact I found them grayish all the time; I know it's supposed to be superior (better reviewed, etc.) but as much as I played with the different settings (resetted defaults, standard, thx, ...) the blacks always looked grayish. Funny thing is, as you see in the picture above, it looks grayish even when the panel's turned off.

Am I just fooled by the amount of ambient light? will it look like good/better than my pn50b650 in my own basement? is getting a demo unit such a bad thing? or have the black levels already risen? (it's probably been running for more than 1000 hours)

I'm going back there tonighit to look at it again, and hope I can see true blacks somehow out of this supposedly superior set.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Read any comparison review of Panasonics v. Samsung and the one thing they point out is the Sammy's ability to retain black levels with a given amount of ambient light.

You can't really appreciate the black levels unless you're watching at night with little to no ambient light. My Kuro looks about as pedestrian as the next plasma during the day, but at night, the difference is stark.

If you can get over the buzz, I'd keep the 650 or hold out for one of the 2010 Panasonics. I think the new Panasonics will do a better job of filtering out ambient light to preserve black levels during daytime viewing.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmack /forum/post/18184453

I think the new Panasonics will do a better job of filtering out ambient light to preserve black levels during daytime viewing.

That's one of their selling points for 2010, yup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts