1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
i picked one up myself...great deal

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you go to Staples, they are $25 right on the shelf. I called today, they had 10 spindles, I reserved two.

When I went to pick them up, they were all sold out, good thing I had my two reserved!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a spindle. Good deal. However I have a question. I have been reading that some people say the the disks made in Taiwan aren't any good. The 25 spindle says made in Taiwan. The TDK 10 pack says made in Japan. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I also looked at the warranty. Both packs said 1 year. I bought my Panny to archive vhs tapes, but I've been reading so much about the longevity of DVD-R, I'm starting to get worried. Should I be?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
TDK subcontracts manufacture of their spindled media to Ritek. Since Japanese-made discs will likely become a thing of the past due to market pricing, I wouldn't worry. As for longevity, most people won't outlive the lifespan of their discs.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Staples has a New $30 off $150 Coupon code: 37756 Exp 1/23/04

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would recommend people to avoid the Taiwan TDK's like the plague. I own a DMR-E80 and have consistently had problems with these. When I first bought my recorder I also bought a bunch of these TDK's (3 15-disc spindles and 2 25-disc spindles from different vendors). My first 2 spindles (1 of 15 and the other one of 25) gave me frequent "recover" errors in my Panny, with an actual failure rate of about 20%. I switched to Verbatims after these 2 spindles and they performed much better (one coaster out of 25). I then went back to finish my TDK's and the same "recover" errors started happening. Then switched to CompUSA 1x discs and had zero problems with them. Now I am back to finish my last spindle of these darn TDK's and I am once again experiencing problems (so far 2 coasters in 8 tries). I can't wait to get rid of the remainder of these TDK's. I have ordered a bunch more of the CompUSA discs, which in my opinion, are the best value for the money out there (less than $1 per disc).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.