AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all I'm new here and this is my third thread and I've gotten no response from the first 2. I don't know much of audio equipment but know a lot of computer stuff... if that will help me at all I have no clue. I want a new system and need some help. first what do I need? what brands are good? I'm only 15 and only have around maybe $600-800. its my bedroom which is about 10 x 10 and I need this thing to last me for a couple of years (at least through college) I like bass and power but again not to expensive. I have a ps2, a 19 inch tv and a brand new computer which will all be blasting sound through this thing. any help with my situation would be greatly appreciated. anything in general about audio systems would also be helpful so I know what I'm doing. thank guys

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Welcome to AVS forum man. With that limited budget I would suggest just using your existing TV for the system display. PS2? Is that a SVS powered sub? Dunno. If so, you have your sub. As for source you could use the DVD-ROM in your PC as a starter HTPC to spin DVD's. So no money going out yet. Get a 5.1 receiver for your amp/tuner. All you need now is five small satellite speakers. Brand loyalty is subjective, meaning it falls down to personal preference mostly. Other things will make your system sound better like using a dark, thick curtain for your window, proper speaker placement. See www.dolby.com for preferred speaker placement. Getting your receiver settings right helps as well. Read your manual on how to set satellite (the small speakers) to "small" and your sub on by setting to "yes". Set to optical or coaxial digital audio. Measure the distance from your speakers to your listening area and enter the dimensions in your receiver. Use the test tones to get the sound from each speaker to 75dB. This help make the sound get to your ears at the same time. May the force be with you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
For a small bedroom/dorm room system I would look at a decent sound card for your computer and the Klipsch computer speaker 5.1 speaker system. It's around 400 dollars. I use it in my office and it sounds terrific.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thanks guys. when I said ps2 I meant my Play Station 2... a gaming system. so that doesn't solve my sub problem. secondly I have 5 small satellite speakers now with 100W each but they're only about 5 inches tall which is fine for my rear speakers but I want some more power in my front and center speakers... I want something with a woofer in it to get some more bass. another thing is are sony speakers good? I've found a few sony speakers that I liked but are they good? I've found a few sub choices 2 sony and 2 yamaha... which would be better? what type (brand) of reciever should I be looking for? thanks guys

·
Registered
174 Posts
have you checked out the logitech z5500 i think thats the model number not sure. But you can find it for about 300 dollars shipped and it is a great 5.1 sytem that does it all, computer, movies, game everything. Check out the forums at xbox.com theres a lot of people there that are very happy with it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Tikrapt,

If you like bass, get yourself a subwoofer or a system that incorporates one. You don't need large speakers up front to get good bass.

Here's the theory - Bass 101 style:

1 - Bass (below 100Hz) is not easily localized - That means that you can't really tell where it is coming from - at times you "feel" it rather than hear it.

2 - Midrange and treble are easily localized - you can tell whick speaker it is coming out of

3 - Bass is the hardest thing for a speaker to do well - especially on a budget.

What does this mean? Well you can get some speakers that do a decent job of higher frequencies and place them appropriately and get a subwoofer to deliver the bass that the other speakers can't deliver. This way you are spending money for bass in one speaker, not all of them and saving money.

Make sense? This is a little generalized but if you have any more detailed questions we can answer them later.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks so far guys. right now I have a sub and 5 small satellite speakers with no woofer... just a ____ (whatever it is that actually makes the sound) this is okey but I still want more. so I do want some speakers that create at lest some bass. thanks greyskies for the input on the sony speakers but anyone else know anything. I'm assuming if you get everything the same brand it tends to work well together and I'm leaning toward a sony reciever so. well thats all for now and thanks guys

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
tikrapt what brand someone desires is really a matter of personal choice. Sony speakers are not studio quality hi-fi, but would do in a basic system. There is a lot of stuff out there.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yes it is a good idea to match speakers by brand to get timber matching but there is no resanto match speakers to receiver.

Examples

I have a Rotel receiver but Rotel doesn't make speakers. I have it connected to axiom speakers.

I also have a Yamaha receiver hooked up to B&W speakers

And another Yamaha hooked up to axioms

and a Harmon kardon hooked up to vintage EPIs

and a Sony hooked up to a second set of EPIs/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey thanks a lot this has really helped. now I got another question though... what is watts? thats probably a really dumb question but what exactly is it? thanks again

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so if I get a 6.1 600W sony receiver and 2 front 150W sony speakers, 120W center speaker sony, 2 rear 100W speakers sonyand a 250W sony sub I'll be okey? that's what its looking like... sound good? any changes?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
it looks like you'll be a little underpowered for those speakers. Your 600W receiver will do 100W per channel.

I also noticed that the wattage for the L+R is different than the center. You will probably have some EQ issues with that mix of speakers.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would suggest expanding your speaker search beyond Sony. While their receivers are passable, Sony speakers are not a particularly good value.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Version has it nailed,

In general, Japanese speakers are not noteworthy (excuse the pun). For the most part they get sold either as a package with their electronics or to consumers who want everything to be the same.

Much of their speaker sale are a function of leveraging their existing brand recognition in electronics. Many consumers mistakenly assume that this applies to speakers as well.

Yamaha is the most obvious exception with a few good values but nothing exceptional. I wouldn't spend my money on their speakers.

Take a look at the speaker forum - They can give you some good recommendations in your budget.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=89

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well thanks so far guys but everyone is telling me to make sure I have 150W going to 150W speakers or more... I havn't seen a receiver yet that gives out more than 130W/channel... where do I find one or what do I do?? thanks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the watts too much. especially if you are just getting started.

Wattage may sound like an objective measurement but it is not. It can be rated in many different ways. A Sony rated at 100W/channel for example will put out significantly less power than an H/K or NAD rated at 65W/channel. This is because different companies rate themselves differently.

For example when Sony says 700W they mean one channel can output 100W for 1 sec with no set THD over a 1KHz signal. When H/K says 700W they mean that all seven channels can output 100W each continuously with a 0.7% THD over a 20Hz to 20KHz range. There is also the issue of impedance and what types of loads different receivers can handle. A Sony will not do well with anything but an 8ohm load. (fortunately most budget speakers will be 8ohm loads)

The reason people are suggesting more power is because, despite the misconception, it is usually an under-powered amp that damages speakers not an over-powered one. When an amp (receiver) runs out of power it clips off the top frequencies the resulting signal is interpreted by the speaker cross-over as high frequency and sent to the tweeter where it is very likely to damage that part of your speaker.

Realistically with your budget you are not going to get more than 50W/channel in a real world setting. That is a reasonable amount of power but you will have to make sure that you don't over-drive your amp and cause it to clip.

For your price range a good place to start for speakers would be Athena and for receivers (you are not looking at separates yet) check out the Panasonic digital line, Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha or even an H/K refurb.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okey I figure I'm gonna need an amp...

If my receiver is putting 100W per channel and my front speakers are 150W each and I get a 100W amp (2 channel... 50W/channel) will it add 50W to each of the front channels making them each 150W or will it just make it 50W each? thanks again

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Forget seperates, that will price you well out of your budget.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.