AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend a cheap IR remote that I could use to teach my mx-500 some x10 commands? Also, are x-10 "on" and "off" codes separate discreet codes? Or does one code toggle an outlet both on and then off? If they are discreet, am I correct in assuming that I will have to devote 2 buttons on my mx-500 for EACH x-10 outlet I want to control. So to control say 3 outlets (one for each of 3 home theater components that don't have discreet on/off codes) will require 6 buttons total???? Thanks.

Dana

·
Registered
469 Posts
Dana: I use an MX-700 to program MX 500's. Its the best way, but certainly not cheap.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The X-10 codes are already pre-programmed into the MX-500, no other remote needed if the stock button arrangement is OK for you, it'll do the job with an IR543 or equiv. [I just got the 500 a short time ago, so haven't changed the X-10 button arrangement from pre-pro, but I might using another learning remote as an intermediary.]

·
Registered
318 Posts
As cfraser said, the MX-500 has X-10 Codes built in, and the layout is pretty usable out of the box unlike most of the other presets.

I copied the two most frequently used X-10 commands (lights Bright/dim) to another page using one of the learning remotes I had lying around (most receiver remotes, for example, come with the ability to learn a few codes)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by danascott
Can someone recommend a cheap IR remote that I could use to teach my mx-500 some x10 commands? Also, are x-10 "on" and "off" codes separate discreet codes? Or does one code toggle an outlet both on and then off? If they are discreet, am I correct in assuming that I will have to devote 2 buttons on my mx-500 for EACH x-10 outlet I want to control. So to control say 3 outlets (one for each of 3 home theater components that don't have discreet on/off codes) will require 6 buttons total???? Thanks.

Dana
Remote codes for X-10 IR Controllers work like this:

Each device has a ID and all devices with the same house ID is controlled by the a single logical controller. For IR controllers, you first select the device(s) you want to control by hitting the corresponding device ID on the remote (ie hitting 1 then 2 will tell the receiver to activate devices 1 and 2).You then hit the button for the comand (ie on/off/dim+/dim-).

The currently active device will remain active until you select a different device on the remote. For example you can hit 1 to control device 1 (main lights) and all comands sent will control the main lights until a different device number is entered (ie 1 + 2 for main and side lights)

So on the remote, you use all 10 number buttons, left and right arrows next to the cursor is used for dim/bright. Stop is OFF and Pause is ON.

I only use X-10 for lights--so in practise I use two buttons (dim+/-) that I copied to my "quick access" page; so I can control DVD, Projector and lights from one device page.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help and tomorrow I'll be getting the IR 543 and some x10 plug in modules and will give it a good try. I very much appreciate your help and response.

Dana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.