Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anybody used the HS10 at refresh rates other than 60hrz (it's default rate with a HTPC, I assume) such as 72/75hrz and if so is it subject to tearing as most lcd projectors are.

I'm a bit embarrassed asking the next question as I know it has been asked before, but I have to be sure: can I get a 72in horizontal screen width from a distance of 14 fet from projector to screen?

Thanks

Comer

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mercer,

It might well be an accident of your use of the syntax of language which gives a rather shrill and high-handed tone to your response to the query posted. My long experience as a lurker here has given me endless hours of pleasure and learning, almost always from posts which, unlike yours, offer information and assistance to fellow enthusiasts. If a post is inappropriate in some way, the Moderators here are responsible for resolving the matter, which I've seen them do with considerably more grace than the text posted above suggests.

Hi Comer,

We're both newbies registered here, and while unfortunately I can't answer either of the questions you pose, I am sure you'll forgive me for expressing my opinion here.

Slán,

Sean G.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the "official" HS10 threads are far too generic for specific questions. However, there's a lot of information pointing to HS10 threads in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=197156

You won't be able to comment in any of the threads referred to since they're all closed, supposedly replaced by the "official" threads. But if all you want to do is read about the HS10, these threads have lots of good info.

This thread will probably be closed soon as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConorGleeson
What kind of a crazy and unhelpful forum is this?

Comer
Excellent question. It was pretty good regarding all projectors, up until the time that a lot of people started looking at the HS10 as a solution. The moderators and admins have decided that there were too many posts about the HS10, so they closed all of those threads and created hard to use "official" threads. The only projector with this constraint is the HS10.

I fully expect that this thread will be closed as soon as the moderators or admins notice it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can understand the mods reasons for tightening up on this but if some good samaratin knows the answer to my two questions maybe they could give a quick reply before I get deleted. I never thought I'd get to say this but:

"This message may self-distruct in ten seconds" :D

Comer

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theritz
Mercer,

It might well be an accident of your use of the syntax of language which gives a rather shrill and high-handed tone to your response to the query posted. My long experience as a lurker here has given me endless hours of pleasure and learning, almost always from posts which, unlike yours, offer information and assistance to fellow enthusiasts. If a post is inappropriate in some way, the Moderators here are responsible for resolving the matter, which I've seen them do with considerably more grace than the text posted above suggests.
Sigh, my bad. I had planned to write more in my first reply, and I see now that my reply was hardly polite.. :) My point was that the mods have been complaining about too little self moderation of this forum, so I was only trying to help out. His question is fairly general, and should rather be put in the "official" thread.

If he *had* checked out the official thread he would've noticed that the HTPC discussion is still ongoing, and the 1:1 mapping actually demands that you use a 56Hz refreash rate. Any other refreash rate, and you end up with an 4:3 picture.

The entire HTPC issue with the Sony HS-10 might require a seperate thread alltogheter.. For instance, native resolutions are hard, if not impossible, to get with the Geforce cards. And for me, I've had to struggle with some strange pixels popping in and out of black letters, and a kindof underwater effect on the entire picture when you get up close..

Sorry for the hash reply, but I was up late and ended up deleting more of my answer than I should've done before hitting the reply button.

Good luck,

Tore K.

Frustrated HS-10 owner.

·
Registered
761 Posts
ConorGleeson one reason you should consider that you are not getting a lot of answers is we don't know any... at least I don't. I have had my HS10 for a couple weeks now and still I'm gropping around. The manual is so poorly put together that it is a wonder I can figure out anything... so it has been trial and error every stage of the way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
ConorGleeson,

If the HS10 throw distance calculating spreadsheet that has been posted on this site can be trusted, the the answer to your second qustion is no. Using Sony's PJCalc program, I determined a 72" wide horizontal screen = an 82" diagonal (16x9 ratio) screen. According to the spreadsheet, an 82" diagonal 16x9 screen requires a minimum throw distance of 10.3 feet and a maximum of 12.5 feet. Sorry, I don't even have a guess on your PC question.

·
Registered
325 Posts
All I can say is that I've tried playing Collin McRae Racing 2 in 1024x768, not sure which Hz, but it looked very smooth. In regards to other rezs and refresh rates, well, to put it this way, the HS-10 is *picky*. If you want an easy to setup HTPC projector, then this might not be for you. So far I've only found 2 resolutions it handles well, and that is 1024x768 and the native rez 1366x768, which btw I'm after all not sure it handles perfectly on my setup.. My point being that you should plan to use 60Hz as the best plan for this PJ. (In native mode it seems to only accept 56 Hz, so go figure.. Hopefully we'll know more once more people get their hands on the thing..)

PS! You had better plan to get an ATI card if you want the most out of the HS-10. I couldn't get any other (decent) resolution than 1024x768 out of the HS-10 with my Ti4200 card, while the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro at least manages to add native resolutions to the list, that is as far as I've gotten with that one. Hoping others will find more powerstrip settings so that more resolutions can be added to this.

Regards,

Tore K.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Tore,

I was poking around in the Factory Mode last night and noticed that there are a large number of settings for the APA (Automatic Pixel Alignment). The settings look a lot like may of the adjustments you HTPC types make with Powerstrip. Perhaps experimetning with these might help in your quest for pixel perfection!

Factory mode can be accessed by pressing ENTER-ENTER-LEFT-ENTER then UP when the question comes up on screen.

Hope this helps.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.