AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with moving some of my mkv high def files to other containers (vob, .ts. and .m2ts). My reasons for doing so are I wish to produce files I can play on both my HTPC and my PS3 (which I use for playback on another room). I want to do this non-destructively (so NOT transcoding, I don't wish to lose any video quality).

I've used two tools: TsMuxer and mkv2vob to produce all sorts of files. However I've notices some lip-sync issues in the new files. Upon fast-forward, or rewind, the new files lose sync. I've read that there are differences between the containers between the timing info that is used to keep audio and video together.

Am I right in thinking the containers do contain different info? Also is there a way of producing PS3 readable files that do a better job of keeping sync?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Yep - AIUI different container formats use different A/V sync and other timing information - such as time-stamps etc.

Some transcoding programmes, whilst retaining the video (and in some cases audio) data untouched, will regenerate the timing information correctly.

Things can get a lot more complex if you have a stream with errors in it, in a container that can cope with errors, but then transcode to a container that CAN'T cope with errors. (Sometimes corrupt audio or video packets can cause sync loss)

I've had good experiences transcoding from .ts to .m2ts or remuxing (to remove redundant PIDs/streams like audio description, subtitles etc.) .ts to .ts using TSMuxer, TSRemux and TSPE for various different sources. TSPE has worked very well for .ts recordings with errors.

(My Popcorn Hour is quite picky about timing information in some .ts files - stopping PLAY/PAUSE and jumping within files, and FF for some files - but remuxing can solve this. However this still doesn't let me REW...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts