AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm currently deciding between two different pairs of speakers but I can't get a speaker selector switch before the trial period is over on one of the pairs. So I was wondering if I could make one without damaging the speakers or my friend's receiver that I'm borrowing for the test.

Can I just use a 3-way toggle switch per speaker?

If I make a joint on the black wire, with one pigtail to each speaker, and then run the red positive to the 3-way switch, with a wire on each of the other screws to a speaker, will this work? I'm worried about back feeding through the black of the other speaker not in use when I flip the switch. But since the red won't be active will this matter?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using a Denon 1912. I'm borrowing it and don't have a remote. I didn't see a way to do this on the receiver.

I don't know why the method above wouldn't work, but I was hoping someone more into the science in AV Science could verify.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
If you could get the remote, it would be a lot easier.

That receiver has a zone 2 function, as well as an A/B switch built in.

Since you also need to level match, using the zone 2 function, level matching the 2 zones, and then switching between the two zones for listening, would be your best comparing option.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend doesn't have the remote. He has a Harmony so he doesn't care that he lost the original. I would have loved to do a level matched AB switch test, but I believe the differences between the speakers is large enough to know which speaker is the best bet for me. I still want to use a makeshift AB switch for one last test.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab  /t/1521826/technical-help-comparing-speakers-will-this-work-for-a-poor-mans-ab-switch#post_24469700

My friend doesn't have the remote. He has a Harmony so he doesn't care that he lost the original. I would have loved to do a level matched AB switch test, but I believe the differences between the speakers is large enough to know which speaker is the best bet for me. I still want to use a makeshift AB switch for one last test.
If you can hook one set of speakers to Zone 1, and the other to Zone 2, then all you would need to do is level match the two zones.

Is your friend's Harmony set up to turn the zones on and off?

As far as your toggle switch idea...I do think that would work. Just not sure how well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts