AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DVD player started to develop a bad hum when playing DVD Audio Disc's so I thought I might have a bad cable going on. I replaced all 6 analog cables from the player to the amp. Well this changed nothing. So I pulled the unit out and an hooked up a cheap dvd player I have using just the stereo analog outs and checked each of the 6 channel inputs on the amp and no hum. So I re-hooked up my dvd audio player and viola no hum. At this point I thought this was strange but hey maybe a ghost in the machine. So I put everything back together and dam if I didn't get the hum back.

At this point frustration is starting to set in. So I started checking the other outputs and discovered the hum is coming from the video output, both component and SVHS. When I put a movie in the player no hum because I am outputing the audio thru the optical cable.

So it seams there is a hum developing in the video output section but it only happens when I am running with the audio outputing thru the 6 analog outs. I have never had a problem like this where the video is causing hum in the audio outputs.

Thanks

Scooter

If there are any technicians here perhaps you can help me solve this. Could it be in one of the power supplies? Anyway it's been a great machine and would like to solve this without having to buy a new one. The unit is a Technics DVD A10

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Maybe someone in the Amps/Receivers/Processors thread may have had something similar happen when combined with a DVD Player.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll post over there but it has nothing to do with the Denon since I tried another player and had no hum with it. Strange thing is I can use it for audio only without the component or SVHS cables connected and I get no hum.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ScooterDog,

My guess would be a ground loop between your amp and PDP through the DVD. You already took the first step to solving it, you isolates it to the video connection. So the loop is when you connect the video ground up. As I recall, the S77 has a non polarized plug for the AC, See if that is plugged in backwards. Obviously, all this equipment should be plugged into the same outlet.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.