AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

New to the forum, thanks for having me... I'm in need of a little technical expertise and perhaps some guidance...

I've recently decided to do a total HT overhaul... I'm now running the Def-Tech BP8060 series speaker setup with a Marantz SR7007 receiver. I decided on the Panamax M5400-PM unit, and I'm struggling to understand the plug-in banks and what the intended design is here. I checked out the manual but there's no real in-depth info there...

The bank outlets are labeled with equipment recommendations but I feel with my setup things aren't as simple here.

Here's my question(s)

1. So they recommend running the receiver on bank 5 (high current, switchable) but this outlet doesn't have voltage regulation like the other outlets do... Huh, I thought the most important component that would benefit from voltage regulation would have been the receiver, no?

2. The Def-Tech front towers, front center and super cube all have internal amplifiers and each require their own AC power source (That's 4 outlets right there! Lol) plus, after I factor in the PS4/Bluray, IMac, Apple TV, Cable Box and Wifi Time Capsule, these 10 outlets are going to be all used up... How do I determine which outlets get which components?

3. Based on the AC Draw of the Def-Tech's should I buy a second M5400-PM to break-up some of these components?

Regardless of whether I run one or two Panamax M5400-PM how should I configure this, I'm lost...

Sorry if this comes off really ignorant and dumb, but its been a while since I've done upgrades...

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Update:

So I've been digging a little deeper on this subject and I found some more info.

Turns out that the "High Current" Bank #5 is not voltage regulated like Banks 1 through 4. Panamax's reason for this is so the components plugged into Bank 5 aren't restricted in anyway. Which in their opinion, is important for certain components that have a heavy draw i.e.: Receiver's and Amplifiers.

So seeing as I have 5 components that have heavy power draw from internal amplifiers (Receiver, Left Tower, Right Tower, Center and Super Cube Sub) I decided to get another Panamax unit to split some of these components up... So by my logic, I will have plenty of Banks available with Voltage Regulation on the M5400 so instead of getting another M5400, I opted for a M5300 which is basically identical to the M5400 except no VR...

So my plan now is to run the Receiver and Sub through the M5400 "High Current" #5 Bank, and the TV, PS4, iMac, Apple TV, Cable Box and Wfi Time Capsule in Banks 1 through 3... Then on the M5300 run the Left Tower and Right Tower through the "High Current" #5 Bank and then the Center and Modem through Bank 1.

I didn't have enough room to run the Center on a high current bank, but I figure it's draw probably isn't as much as the Towers or Super Cube so this should suffice.

I know nobody responded to my original post, but I figure eventually somebody out there may have the same questions as I did so I thought I'd share my findings and solutions anyway.

Anyone else out there running dual Panamax units? How did you set yours up?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts