AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Replay4120 was stolen recently.

Actually I was robbed when I sold it on EBay. See, I auctioned it (doesn't do HD), and it sold to a fellow with the handle 'goldfingerinpa'. He paid $1,200 by Paypal, and I shipped the Replay. In that process, he kept me waiting for a month, during which time he wouldn't answer his emails. So in desperation (he had already paid me) I left feedback for him, asking him to contact me.

Finally he contacted me, and I shipped it via USPS. He received it, but then OH MY GOD he reversed his Paypal payment! I had no idea that could be done. And as I had not shipped with delivery confirmation I could not prove I sent it. So Paypal reversed the chargeon me, running my account into a $375 deficit.

BTW, he is goldfingerinpa:

Robert Taylor [email protected]

1006 Ryeland Ct.

Bridgeville, PA 15017 USA

I can't leave this feedback for him, as I already had.

Anyway needless to say he's not answering emails now. I've filed for investigation with EBay, the Atty General, and the police.

I also called SonicBlue and asked them to turn off Guide & updates. The tech support guy had never encountered this situation (?), so he asked someone. I was envisioning something like disabling the MAC address, and trying to figure out how they'd do it. But the dude came back and said they'll turn off the serial number of the unit. And that the serial number is part of the authentication in getting a guide update.

Is this true? If so, how do PC's manage to get Guide updates? Are they all using some standard serial number?

In other words, are they just placating me, or is this really how it works. The guy was so vague and tenative, I am doubtful.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnonymousCoward
But the dude came back and said they'll turn off the serial number of the unit. And that the serial number is part of the authentication in getting a guide update.

Is this true?
Every RNS request (except sending the system log) includes an "X-Replay-Serial-Number:" header with the machine's serial number (the system log transfer includes the header too, but a complex one-way-hash of the serial number is used instead of the serial number itself). I haven't seen any evidence this header is used -- requests made without it work just fine.

Some parts of the update, including an explicit 'authorization' step, also include the serial number in the query string (other steps that do: MyReplayTV synchronization, getshellcommands, software update); leaving out the serial number or using one that's not a valid form cause these steps to fail.

In the authorization and/or getshellcommands step, they can disable the channel guide, the replay guide, replay zones, viewing, and recording, each separately. One person had this done accidentally a week or two ago (search for 'replatv' with the y missing to find that thread).
Quote:
If so, how do PC's manage to get Guide updates? Are they all using some standard serial number?
Are PCs getting guide updates? Mine is, but as a proxy for my 4k, using its serial number. ijprest has a setup where he supplies canadian guide data to his 3k, but he doesn't get guide data from Replay for that.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss. I hope you get your Replay or money back. I'm not sure if I can help much, but I remember reading a thread a few months ago about Replay having the ability to lock out guide information of Stolen units. Somewhere it mentions that the IP address may even be used to track these units.

Hope this helps:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=133894

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.