Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ti all.

my question is: if i have a receiver A/V of 90 watt RMS on 8 Ohm, can i connect it with 6 or 4 Ohm speakers? I have read differrent ideas about this fact:

1)Yes, i can connect the 4 or 6 ohm speakers because modern receivers can supply the request of much more electrical stream (in the measure unit "ampere") by the speakers.

2)No, i can't connect the speakers because the load is too heavy for the receiver.

What is the truth?

Thank you very much for any infomation

·
Registered
182 Posts
You might. You might not.

It depends on whether the receiver can supply enough current for the 4ohm load.

It may work, but sound degraded. I heard a Pioneer receiver that claimed to be able to handle 4ohm loads do that several years ago. Sounded just terrible but a (much more expensive) Onkyo recceiver sounded great. I'm not saying anything about particular brands here. Only that the lower the product is in its product line up, the less likely that it will handle the load.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Vash,

Saying that your receiver is 90W under 8 ohms does not say anything about its behaviour below.

Do you mean 4 ohms nominal or 8 ohms nominal speakers that drop down to 6 or 4 ohms at some frequencies? The second case should be ok, the first one is difficult to recommend (I would avoid it if possible).

It also depends on your listening habit, if you demand a lot to your receiver (play loud) then it's another reason to worry about mixing low current capacity receiver with low impendance speakers.

As you see, difficult to give a definitive answer.

Michel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.