AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my quest to find the perfect speaker. I have been doing research on different speaker sites and have come across these descriptions. 1st order, 2nd order and even 4th order crossover. what does it all mean :confused: .

FWIW I now nothing about what to look for when I read the specs. I look at the pictures posted on their web sites then I drive over and listen. then I make my scientific decision( I ask the wife):D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The "order" of a crossover affects at least two things: the slope (how fast it gets rid of the stuff you don't want going through a particular driver) and the phase.

1st order = 6dB/octave and 90degrees

2nd order = 12dB/octave and 180 degrees (aka switched polarity)

3rd order = 18dB/octave and 270 degrees (aka -90 degrees)

4th order = 24dB/octave and no phase shift

Google on "crossover slope phase order" and you should get some good hits.

Bill

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by radio66

FWIW I now nothing about what to look for when I read the specs. [/b]
There's a couple things of interest. Look at the graph that shows frequency response. You want it as flat and wide as possible. (Or if they don't have a graph check the rated frequency response, especially the "+/-N dB" variation number.) This won't dictate how they sound since room interaction is important, but it is an indication that the assembly doesn't have serious flaws. (If they don't show or quote frequency response, back away slowly.)

Also look at the Efficiency, or sound level at 1 watt input. That generally indicates how loud they will play.

The rest isn't much use, including power handling numbers. Listening is the best approach.

Quote:
I look at the pictures posted on their web sites then I drive over and listen. then I make my scientific decision( I ask the wife):D [/b]
A wise man, indeed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.