AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I would greatly appreciate any info/instructions here on my problem.

My Pioneer elite pro 98 rear projection TV decided to go bonkers. Specifically, the red gun suddenly does not converge onto the blue or green. I popped off the front adjustment cover and I can remember my local tech being able to move the guns (the whole red/blue/green apparatus each). I dont see how or where he could have loosend it to do this. He can't see me for 3 weeks....can't wait.

Also, I noticed that when I attempt to converge using the remote, I can only move red and blue, but not green (although I can't get red to converge...it's really wacked out). Is green standardized and fixed such that only blue and red need adjustment?

Any tip will help.

Jaime

·
Registered
496 Posts
In most sets green is the reference. It is dialed in through mechanical/electrical setup, and sometimes hidden service menus depending on the set. Once green is set up correctly, it is (almost) never again touched. The red/blue are then converged to match the green. In your case, as the red is not converging onto the green you can assume something in the convergance circuit has failed. Since you are not a tech, I would think it best for you to wait for the tech (or perhaps find another) as you can really do some damage if you dont know what is going on...

Good Luck.

--Kieth

·
Registered
39 Posts
As an ISF tech, not a repair tech, my hunch from seeing similar things in the past would be that it is the convergence amplifier. But don't hold me to that conclusion, I am sure there are a number of possibilities. If it is the convergence amp, you should expect to pay at least $200-300 for the repair.

Good luck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jmartin
Hi. I would greatly appreciate any info/instructions here on my problem.

My Pioneer elite pro 98 rear projection TV decided to go bonkers. Specifically, the red gun suddenly does not converge onto the blue or green. I popped off the front adjustment cover and I can remember my local tech being able to move the guns (the whole red/blue/green apparatus each). I dont see how or where he could have loosend it to do this. He can't see me for 3 weeks....can't wait.

Also, I noticed that when I attempt to converge using the remote, I can only move red and blue, but not green (although I can't get red to converge...it's really wacked out). Is green standardized and fixed such that only blue and red need adjustment?

Any tip will help.

Jaime
Email Chuck Williams. He ISF'd my cousin's Pro 98 which fixed the same problem.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, thanks a million. After some internet search, I learned that it may be the convergence panel ic. Specifically STK4274. I took off the front cover and its there in plain site. shouldnt be too difficult to remove and take to local electrician to have it replaced(the whole service board). The IC only costs about 8 bucks and if it doesn't work, well, no problemo. If it will never work......well, i'll need to go out and buy a 16:9 Elite model.

thanks, Jaime

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good find Jamie.

I'm sure you mean Electronics Technician not Electrician. Yes, any good repair shop would be able to do it.

Good Luck.

Dick

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

Got STX4274 ic ($6.72), took it to local TV repair guy.....soldered it in ($ 15.00, gave him $20.00 cause i was so stoked), got home plugged the whole enchilada in and ......................No change! Damn red still out of wack.....but in the interim when i took out the large service board i noted yet another STX board...STX4277. Maybe this was the one?

Anyway, I'm not taking all this too serious, infact, i'm enjoying doing something completely different with my spare time-kind of fun anyway, sort of like doing test on patients (I'm a doctor), thinking of differential diagnoses, trying and testing hypothesis etc.,

Soon enough my local high end store service will come and save the day....think I'll stick to what I do best

Jaime

·
Registered
28 Posts
It was worth a shot. I wouldn't bother with anything that is not on the covergence board.

Anything that stops the output to the conv. yoke would cause your problem, including the yoke itself.

Without a schematic and equipment you have probably reached a dead end. It is certainly fixable but yes, those big Pio's are really nice.

If the set was otherwise in good condition why not get it fixed and donate it to someone needy (No, No, I don't mean me.) or to some Charity Org. Tax?

Good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jaime, what size is your TV? I have a 51" Pioneer in need of a new lenticular screen. Hoping you get yours fixed of course, but if not I might be interested in taking it off your hands. Doesn't hurt to ask, right ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, what can I say. My convergence problem is now "fixed", some $350 dollars later!

So, here I was thinking my local tech would come in and diagnose a malfunctioning STK part, or a burned out resistor, or some small component......but Noooooo, he says "oh, we just replace the whole convergence board". So, he replaces the whole enchilada and keeps my old board to get it fixed by Pioneer otherwise he'd have to charge me an additional 125 dollars.

Let me tell you what, this is like going to a auto part store and purchasing a reconstructed alternator....only, the whole convergence board may only have a small 20 dollar part that needs replacement, then some poor Joe in the other side of the US will have to get my board with a 20 dollar replacement for some 350 bucks.

Well, I had to vent. My set looks nice again, but there seems to be some bowing of horizontal lines in the lower portions.....not exactly "squared". I tipped the guy 50 bucks.....um just because. Think I'll call him back to fix the geometry issue.

Jaime

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just an FYI, Pioneer uses 1% tolerance components. Most shops carry 10% tolerance components and a small selection of 1%. Often it's in your best interest (not pocket book) to use board replacement. As the components break down it's sometimes best to replace associated components to prevent repeated failure of the circuit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.