AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little need for help - it might be a newbie problem, but I can't seem to fix it. Since the SA-AX7 isn't recent, I'm hoping someone who has one or had one can lend me a hand in fixing this.

I'm using the associated decoder that came in the SA-AX7 bundle for two audio sources: a Playstation 3 (that serves as a DVD/BD player) and a digital TV receiver. The digital TV is connected to the decoder by coaxial and the PS3 is connected by optical to the decoder. The decoder is then connected via 6 analog cables to the SA-AX7.

My speakers are Athena audition series (2x F2, 1x C1, 2x B2 and a PS-4000). Nothing fancy, but working well for me and my budget.

In DVD/BD mode (from PS3) and with the digital TV box, sound is decoded properly, either in DD5.1 or DTS5.1 according to the source (ie, I get sound on all channels).

However, I have two issues, and I'm not sure where the problem is:

1) In Dolby Pro Logic mode (mostly from playing CD / streamed audio on the PS3), I get no subwoofer output. According to the Technics manual, with an amplified sub, the low pass filter on the receiver is not used, and the low pass filter on the sub is set to 40Hz (although I tried higher, same result). I was expecting the low frequencies to be sent to the subwoofer. Maybe I'm not understanding Pro Logic, but I would like to have sub output on music.

2) In games on PS3 - DD5.1 or DTS - (although this might be an issue more with the channels used with in-game audio), I seemed to get no subwoofer output, or at least I haven't ran into games with subwoofer output. I have posted this on a PS3 forum, but if anyone has an idea, I'll be happy.

The subwoofer is in standby mode (ie, it gets powered on when it receives a signal and turns off after about 10min of inactivity). Would putting it in powered mode be relevant?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
951 Posts
You need to set the internal receiver crossover to something, usually ~60Hz. Unless you are running your speakers through your sub first, the low-pass filter in your sub is never used.

Your manual isn't great but on page 19 at the bottom it describes how to adjust the sub crossover setting. Seems like it is a knob, set it between 60 and 80 depending on your preferences.

As for games and subs, most-likely there isn't any LFE effects but it really depends on the game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the manual, the low pass filter doesn't work on DVD 6ch input. Since the music is coming through the PS3 optical as Pro Logic, it goes through the decoder to the receiver, which is "usually" set at DVD 6ch.

So, the way you explain it, it would mean to switch the receiver to DVD 2ch (when listening to music), which would then activate the low pass filter and music will get LFE? I'll see how that turns out. Only annoying thing (iirc) is that there's no way to activate the switch DVD 2/6 by remote...

Yeah, for game, I'm assuming it's more an issue of the game not having LFE rather than the setup. I'm not worried on that until I try much more games.

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhong /forum/post/15551871

According to the manual, the low pass filter doesn't work on DVD 6ch input. Since the music is coming through the PS3 optical as Pro Logic, it goes through the decoder to the receiver, which is "usually" set at DVD 6ch.

So, the way you explain it, it would mean to switch the receiver to DVD 2ch (when listening to music), which would then activate the low pass filter and music will get LFE? I'll see how that turns out. Only annoying thing (iirc) is that there's no way to activate the switch DVD 2/6 by remote...

Yeah, for game, I'm assuming it's more an issue of the game not having LFE rather than the setup. I'm not worried on that until I try much more games.

Just try setting the crossover knob and see what happens. Worst case scenario is you are where you are know. If that's the case, it means that you have a receiver that can't do bass management on simple Dolby and DTS surround.

But that doesn't answer why you aren't seeing LFE effects if you set-up/connection is right. So how is your sub connected to your receiver?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an amplified sub; it uses the single cable (RCA-like) connected to the amplified sub connector on the receiver.

I'm working on the assumption that DTS and DD5.1 are working fine (I'll leave the games out of it until I test more), since I get bass on DVD/BD/Digital TV iboth encoding.

At work right now :| I'll fiddle with the crossover, I know that It's already set at the minimum (50Hz) however.

I'll also check if I get bass effects from a regular stereo input in the back of the receiver (ie, not going through the decoder).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solved the music problem

Put decoder on stereo, receiver on DVD 2 channel and voila, crossover working.

Game still need to be tested, but up to now, I blame it on games without LFE.

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhong /forum/post/15556985

Solved the music problem

Put decoder on stereo, receiver on DVD 2 channel and voila, crossover working.

Game still need to be tested, but up to now, I blame it on games without LFE.

Glad you could work this out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts