AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this forum but couldn't find any opinions about these... this is Technics' top of the line

( http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...?ModelId=13327 ) and is priced about the same as the oft-mentioned Denon 1802, Onkyo 595 etc., has decent specs and good ergonomics. Other than lacking DPL II, I don't see any downside to this one. Any reason not to choose it? Also, does this receiver have good "bass management" for 5.1 audio from DVDs? How about the Denon?

Thx,

Lee

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
I have one and am very happy with it. But the product is discontinued right now. It was in fact the - failed, in terms of market success - attempt of Technics to enter the mid-to-high receiver arena. The SA-DA20N was the next iteration of the original SA-DA10 (original MSRP $800), released together with the first DVD-Audio player, the excellent DVD-A10.

In terms of build quality and music, the DA20N definitely competes with mid to high receivers. However, in terms of HT features it's a very basic product. For bass management you get the only basic choice of the sub crossover (100-150).

If you could get one for less than $300 would still be, IMHO, a steal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Certainly a nice looking product, but if it were me, I'd pass. This pains me a bit to say, since the very first audio product I ever purchased was a Technics receiver, way back in 1977.

Technics, and other manufactures, have begun the troubling practice of publishing their amplifier power output specs based on a 6 ohm load. This is deceiving, IMHO, since the industry standard practice for years has been to publish amp specs based on an 8 ohm load. I believe the impact of this practice is to deceive the consumer. If the specs for this receiver were published, for example, based on an ohm load, the output specs would likely look more like 80 wpc, rather than 100 wpc.

Sonically, for the price, I think there are also better choices. Could be why this series of receiver did not do well for Technics.

Sigh.....

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Quote:
Sonically, for the price, I think there are also better choices.
Well, you should LISTEN to it before giving an opinion. Just read this consumer reviews on the former - but equivalent model - the SA-DA10N:

http://www.audioreview.com/A-V,Recei...2_2718crx.aspx

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had this receiver for just over a year now; and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Although the feature-set is relatively limited, the well isolated ouput stage, bamboo fibre/copper capacitors, and bi-amp mode result in one of the most natuaral sounding units available at any price.

Trust your ears......

·
Registered
404 Posts
i had the sada10 n=-----total junk-service is horrible with panasonic technics -spent 8 months trying to get mine fixed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.