Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I want to eliminate my 5.1 reciever(cause it sucks!!!!)

Is it possible to conect a 5 channel amp to the sh-ac 500 with that controlling the volume properly or will the amps have to have some kind of attenuation? I do not need switching capabilities as i only use dvd and will soon be moving to HTPC. I would actually like to buy seperate amps for each channel. I guess i could just buy a 2 channel amp and just give it a try.

any input would be appreciated

cheers

Wayne

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You can use the SH-AC500D as a standalone preamp/processor. It allows you to set volume level for the center, L & R surrounds, and subwoofer -- it presets the level to "0" for your L & R fronts and you just adjust the other channels relative to the volume to the fronts. It works just fine.

You can also control the volume level remotely. So it works fine in that way too. At least for all of the digital inputs.

And you can decode DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, DPL, and Stereo.

One feature it does not support is volume level control for the 5.1 inputs. Those are simply passed through to the 5.1 outputs. This would be a problem if you had a multi-channel SACD player that you connected to it via the 5.1 cables.

It actually is a very nice decoder. Perhaps one of the best buys ever for a decoder/processor in the HT arena.

Tom B.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom

yes I am able to set the volume on the processor and defaults the front to "0" but the question remains is "0" enough,or will i have to have volume knobs on the amps.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Volume knobs on your amps will make no difference. Those can only decrease the signal coming from the preamp/processor. At their maximum setting, they will allow the full signal from the preamp/processor.

These controls are typically used to provide you a way to balance the volume levels when using a single source to drive multiple amps. Say you were using the SH-AC500D to drive a 3-channel and a 2-channel amp. And the 2-channel amp was more sensitive and thus louder than the 3-channel amp. You could use the 2-chan amp's level controls to turn it down a bit and thus match the same volume from the same signal.

The "0" setting is almost always "enough" unless you happen to be using a low sensitivity amp. The SH-AC500D's output is a maximum of 2V. Some amps need 2.5V or more to reach full power (Most only need 1.0-1.5V). So there will be combinations where the SH-AC500D will fail to meet one's needs.

Even if you could change the front speaker settings on the 500D, it still wouldn't make any difference in the above scenario. Setting them at "+5" would not result in the maximum output being any higher than 2V.

The only thing the way the 500D's setup affects anything, is that some people might set their center channel to "0" and then try to balance the fronts against it, perhaps resulting in them being set to "+3". In this case, with the fronts defaulting to "0", you would have to set the center to "-3". Same end result.

Tom B.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tom

It has become clear now-so i will look for the amps with the specs you've given.

Have a great day!

Wayne

There is a 5 channel B&K in the city here on sale-I believe it is the 2500, I wonder how that will perform.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.