AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

could u pls explain me how does differ a wide angle lens (for example the new sony xr550 wide angle lens) in comparison to a non wide angle lens (the old sony xr520 lens) ?

What I mean is that, the filter thread of both old and new cameras is of 37mm.

Is the aclual lens bigger ?

or do they look the same at naked eye as diameter, but it is the distance from the CCD or something else (how the lens is constructed), that makes a wider angle lens different ?

Why some, like panny uses a bigger diameter lenses with 43 or 46 mm filter diameter ?

What does it change ?

thank you

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/18216378

Hi guys,

could u pls explain me how does differ a wide angle lens (for example the new sony xr550 wide angle lens) in comparison to a non wide angle lens (the old sony xr520 lens) ?

What I mean is that, the filter thread of both old and new cameras is of 37mm.

Is the aclual lens bigger ?

or do they look the same at naked eye as diameter, but it is the distance from the CCD or something else (how the lens is constructed), that makes a wider angle lens different ?

Why some, like panny uses a bigger diameter lenses with 43 or 46 mm filter diameter ?

What does it change ?

thank you

You're asking about the actual lens delivered in the body of the camcorder, so that's part of the answer to your question. When comparing the native lens of the 500V to the 550V, the lenses themselves are different. They may or may not be physically different sizes; I don't know enough about lens design to guess, but the previous message gives you a hint as to what to look up. If the bodies were exactly the same size between the two cams, that would probably imply the lenses were the same size overall. But Sony did change the body a bit so that doesn't help answer your question. Bottom line is that the two lens are indeed constructed differently, if only in subtle or small ways.

This website has been posted in other threads and can help you see the difference in practical terms:

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php

You want to pull the lens ranges (like 29mm to 290mm) off the SonyStyle website to set up a comparison.

I'm sure that how the filter thread size is set is some standard aspect of design of camcorders. I doubt that any one size is inherently much better than all others on its own. There's probably an interaction between the lens, the camcorder body dimensions, and the sensors capturing the light.

So a 550 and a 500 will look much the same in front where the lenses are. It's the internals that differ.

A wide angle converter is the add-on lens that can be put on using the filter threads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts