AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 975 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience with either of these speakers? I know Terry London of Home Theater Review has a review for the Double Impact coming soon, but I'm still interested in getting as many opinions as I can. I think the regular Impact will suit my needs and leave me a little scratch for a sub, but have only seen good reviews of the DI's and the DI's a also pretty large. I'll be doing HT and Music 50/50 and room size is 3000 cubic feet sitting about 14' away.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
Oh my.

... Our revolutionary U.S. patent #9247339 (issued January 26th, 2016) allows us to literally align the moving mass of speaker cones to the harmonic spectra of the musical instruments being played. This means that, in theory, we’ve now made every other high fidelity loudspeaker on earth obsolete in one fell swoop! ...

... For example: the plucked and resonating low ‘e’ note (41Hz) on a Fender Jazz bass guitar has a moving mass of 19 grams. The highest reviewed and well-regarded subwoofers of today have cones with an average of 200-300 grams of moving mass to reproduce the same low ‘e’ tone. This is the equivalent of a Formula One team showing up on race day with a special new race car that has 15,000 pounds of sand added to it! Our competitors are building subwoofers in this exact way today. A subwoofer with 300 grams of moving mass can only give you a dulled out response down to 15Hz. The laws of physics prove the subwoofer cannot be musical nor can it even begin to produce the harmonic spectra of a Fender Jazz bass guitar (or any other bass-producing musical instrument) – period.

Simply put, if the moving mass of the speaker cone is not the same or less than the original source (i.e. the violin, guitar, trumpet, etc.), the musical instrument’s upper overtones and upper harmonics when played back through the loudspeaker system will sound diminished, lowered in volume, progressively damped, and lower in sensitivity when compared to the original sound source or musical event. In my mind, I see this relationship as a mathematical algorithm and I design loudspeakers in a new and innovative way that keeps this in mind.

So what do these new loudspeakers sound like? Imagine being in a symphony hall with a dozen lights in the ceiling turned on and then having the ability to turn on 6 more lights at the flip of a switch. We all know what you get: better focus, more intensity, more energy, clearer views, and better discernment of colors, distances, and objects, etc. This is what I’m doing with sound. ...
tektondesign.com/company.html

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
every review I've read of any of his speakers has raved about them.
When I see a review that's critical of anything I can die content in knowing that I really have seen it all. :cool:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
When I see a review that's critical of anything I can die content in knowing that I really have seen it all. :cool:
Well, forum members here and on various other sites have been raving at least, with one guy here mentioning he preferred them to some B&W 800 D series (I can't recall which one). Now, sure, there's likely some bias by those who have laid out the cash to want to confirm the wisdom of their purchase, but the praise seems consistent enough I've been tempted to try them myself.

It would be nice if Eric over at Tekton would post some graphs and more detailed specs though.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
It would be nice if Eric over at Tekton would post some graphs and more detailed specs though.
Don't hold your breath. As for his claims, take this for instance:
... For example: the plucked and resonating low ‘e’ note (41Hz) on a Fender Jazz bass guitar has a moving mass of 19 grams.
That's 100% Oscar Meyer baloney. I've never weighed one of my E strings, but what it weighs doesn't matter, because it's played through an amplifier and speaker. The mms of a typical electric bass driver can range from 25 grams to 140 grams. And what pray tell is the mms of a trumpet? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, admittedly, I am put off by the extravagant claims. At the same time though, it seems difficult to find a high efficiency speaker with larger drivers for this kind of money. I'm not sure why, (inexperienced opinion follows)but it seems that a lot of the sub [email protected] speakers are using 5.25"-6.25" drivers. To me, those may measure well, but they just don't have the fullness, body, or impact that a 8"-10" does. Their high efficiency and the ability to push more air seems like these could be a good speaker for double duty with HT and Music. Just a guess, but the fuller sound and ability to go lower than most speakers could be why they seem to hold their own when it comes to reviews. I'm sure that with those drivers and at that price they are not the end all be all of hifi, but I don't think they are supposed to be.

Another speaker I'm interested in is the Tyler Acoustics Halo 1 and 2. It's a fairly similar in size and drivers. Tekton's drivers are a little higher grade with the cabinets being very plain and the Tylers have nice wood veneer cabinets with cheaper drivers. Unfortunately, there are not many reviews on either.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Here is a link to the patent -- I didn't read all of it, but my eyes glazed over pretty fast and my mind started saying, "this doesn't seem very compelling...it smells like a lot of b.s. and probably should've been denied."

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Here is a link to the patent -- I didn't read all of it, but my eyes glazed over pretty fast and my mind started saying, "this doesn't seem very compelling...it smells like a lot of b.s. and probably should've been denied."
The problem with the claims is that in order to function as it specifies each instrument being played would require its own speaker. And that means it's own separate recorded track, pre-amp, amp and so forth. And yes, it should have been denied. This is the critical claim: the mass of the moving element comprises a mass of less than twice the mass of the moving and sound generation portion of the musical instrument. In most musical instruments the moving and sound generating portion mass is extremely low. A violin string, for instance, or a saxophone reed. And what of the instruments that have no moving sound generator, like all brass instruments? Or is he referring to the player's lips? And if so how did he weigh them? Is his assistant named Igor? :rolleyes:

The patent office will give a patent for anything, so long as the fees are paid that's all they care about. If it later comes to a legal issue with regards to infringement, they don't get involved anyway, that's a problem for the courts to deal with.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
For that price, there are a number of proven, measured speakers to choose from: JTR 228HT, JTR 212HT, JBL 4722N, PSA 210T, etc. If you're barely handy, I'd looked at some of the DIYSG offerings, which only require the ability to glue. I own and have owned a number of speakers, including Tektons. As folks have pointed out in this thread, the company's claims appear to be pseudoscience. The patent would likely be invalidated by a court of Tekton ever tried to enforce it.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
For whatever reason, I've noticed that the brand's owners thread here consists in large part of people without a lot of prior speaker ownership experience or general knowledge. I think some of them at least are drawn to the brand because they like the notion of a pair of speakers with larger drivers and more substantial bass output so that they can avoid the potential can of setup worms that subwoofers can sometimes entail.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For that price, there are a number of proven, measured speakers to choose from: JTR 228HT, JTR 212HT, JBL 4722N, PSA 210T, etc. If you're barely handy, I'd looked at some of the DIYSG offerings, which only require the ability to glue. I own and have owned a number of speakers, including Tektons. As folks have pointed out in this thread, the company's claims appear to be pseudoscience. The patent would likely be invalidated by a court of Tekton ever tried to enforce it.
Which Tekton's did you own?

·
Audio Engineer
2,040 Posts
The problem with the claims is that in order to function as it specifies each instrument being played would require its own speaker. And that means it's own separate recorded track, pre-amp, amp and so forth. And yes, it should have been denied. This is the critical claim: the mass of the moving element comprises a mass of less than twice the mass of the moving and sound generation portion of the musical instrument. In most musical instruments the moving and sound generating portion mass is extremely low. A violin string, for instance, or a saxophone reed. And what of the instruments that have no moving sound generator, like all brass instruments? Or is he referring to the player's lips? And if so how did he weigh them? Is his assistant named Igor? :rolleyes:

The patent office will give a patent for anything, so long as the fees are paid that's all they care about. If it later comes to a legal issue with regards to infringement, they don't get involved anyway, that's a problem for the courts to deal with.
Correct.

Even assuming an upright acoustic bass is being mentioned (but, we have to guess, because the reference is unclear), it is a resonant system and the string is only part of the sound generating mechanism. The entire BODY of the instrument both vibrates sympathetically and acts a finely tuned Helmholtz resonator. This goes for any stringed instrument. Violin, viola, acoustic guitar, cello, etc.

Also, calculating the resonant air column mass and resonant cavity volume of a woodwind changes for every note, ad the air takes a different, circuitous route for most notes. Don't even mention a trombone.

I'm purely opining on the patent, as there are many satisfied owners here.

Reactions: zencarver

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no idea how speakers work, but the regular Eminence drivers make me wonder how much potential these have to be good.

I'm still stuck trying to buy speakers and I'm going nuts for it. I really just want to get my setup done and start enjoying some music.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
That's one of the reasons the late automotive TV show Top Gear was so popular. If they thought a car was crap, they'd tell you exactly why in the same sort of language you'd hear guys discussing the same thing at the local pub/bar.
Now, if only we had an audio equivalent.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I have no idea how speakers work, but the regular Eminence drivers make me wonder how much potential these have to be good.
Why did you think they're so inexpensive, relatively speaking? Not that there's anything wrong with Eminence drivers, but the ones used here are musical instrument/PA drivers that have high sensitivity at the expense of smooth frequency response. Rule #1 of Loudspeaker Design: There's no such thing as a free lunch.

1 - 20 of 975 Posts