AVS Forum banner

901 - 920 of 975 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered the DI Center on Tuesday, just got shipping notification today (Friday) with delivery scheduled this coming Wednesday.

I'm hoping this speaker line is as magical (for the price) as some say. I ordered just the center for now since certain speaker designs that sound great in stereo tend to drown out/veil/muffle center channel dialog to my ear. If this can pass the dialog test then I'm on to the L&R.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Alright, so I've had the Tekton Double Impact in use for awhile now, a little review is in order in context of what led me here:

I've found many great sounding stereo pairs before but for home theater use it's always the center channel that becomes problematic due to dialog clarity/realism and so once I figured that out I've only demoed centers, if that's good the rest will be too.
These are the series I've used:

Polk Signature
Aperion Intimus
Elac Uni-fi
Emotiva w/ribbon tweeters
Klipsch horn midrange models
Definitive Technology pro series
SVS Ultra

Of all of those the $250 Emotiva had both the greatest clarity and biggest impact, unfortunately I have extremely good high frequency hearing for my age and both the ribbon and horn designs end up fatiguing my ears. By the end of a movie I find myself having turned the volume up 2-3db as it *seems* to have gotten quieter throughout the presentation.

Enter the Double Impact.

Vocals are clear and often have a believable sense of presence that even something like the SVS ultra simply cannot come close to achieving. The DI produces a much wider soundstage and does indeed have double the impact of everything on my list but the Emotiva.
When pumping music through this center channel it absolutely destroys my next favorite Elac Unifi. It's strange how the Elac can sound so good until you do an A/B comparison with the Tekton DI and suddenly it sounds completely veiled and muddy. I can't wait to get the DI towers for the full stereo effect now.

So yeah, I'm sold. I only continued to demo speakers, box them up, send them back, over and over and over, because none of them sounded "real" enough. I've got that audiophile bug things have to sound "right" or they aren't worth hearing. Mission accomplished, I get these DIs and I'm done shopping for audio for as long as they last. I'm so pleased to have finally heard of Tekton, without a retailer presence it took me way too long.

My only regret is that I placed the order for the center channel on the phone and didn't look into the upgrade package option till' later. I'm hoping to swap my vanilla version out as these speakers are incredibly transparent based on what amp etc is feeding them so I want the internals to be of the highest quality.

Thank you Tekton for what you do, from the bottom of my heart. I am so ready to just enjoy these for years to come :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Alright, so I've had the Tekton Double Impact in use for awhile now, a little review is in order in context of what led me here:

I've found many great sounding stereo pairs before but for home theater use it's always the center channel that becomes problematic due to dialog clarity/realism and so once I figured that out I've only demoed centers, if that's good the rest will be too.
These are the series I've used:

Polk Signature
Aperion Intimus
Elac Uni-fi
Emotiva w/ribbon tweeters
Klipsch horn midrange models
Definitive Technology pro series
SVS Ultra

Of all of those the $250 Emotiva had both the greatest clarity and biggest impact, unfortunately I have extremely good high frequency hearing for my age and both the ribbon and horn designs end up fatiguing my ears. By the end of a movie I find myself having turned the volume up 2-3db as it *seems* to have gotten quieter throughout the presentation.

Enter the Double Impact.

Vocals are clear and often have a believable sense of presence that even something like the SVS ultra simply cannot come close to achieving. The DI produces a much wider soundstage and does indeed have double the impact of everything on my list but the Emotiva.
When pumping music through this center channel it absolutely destroys my next favorite Elac Unifi. It's strange how the Elac can sound so good until you do an A/B comparison with the Tekton DI and suddenly it sounds completely veiled and muddy. I can't wait to get the DI towers for the full stereo effect now.

So yeah, I'm sold. I only continued to demo speakers, box them up, send them back, over and over and over, because none of them sounded "real" enough. I've got that audiophile bug things have to sound "right" or they aren't worth hearing. Mission accomplished, I get these DIs and I'm done shopping for audio for as long as they last. I'm so pleased to have finally heard of Tekton, without a retailer presence it took me way too long.

My only regret is that I placed the order for the center channel on the phone and didn't look into the upgrade package option till' later. I'm hoping to swap my vanilla version out as these speakers are incredibly transparent based on what amp etc is feeding them so I want the internals to be of the highest quality.

Thank you Tekton for what you do, from the bottom of my heart. I am so ready to just enjoy these for years to come :)
Chaob, Just to keep the fires of what's better burning, Eric just released the Moab @ $4500/pr, the lowest priced speaker to fully incorporate his best tech, the 15 tweeter array bringing the crossover between the cone woofer/mid to tweeters to 300Hz and having almost all the midrange handled by low mass tweeters with startling transparency.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chaob, Just to keep the fires of what's better burning, Eric just released the Moab @ $4500/pr, the lowest priced speaker to fully incorporate his best tech, the 15 tweeter array bringing the crossover between the cone woofer/mid to tweeters to 300Hz and having almost all the midrange handled by low mass tweeters with startling transparency.
Thanks for mentioning that, they look very enticing however there isn't a matching center for that design which I'd want (could use a third tower as a center but I don't have an acoustically transparent screen) and it's a big stretch on my budget just to attain the DI series so I'm going to have to stop there. So many other great options though for folks who have the higher budgets, love it :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just ordered the Tekton Enzo XL's. Anyone have impressions on these other than the two professional reviews out there? I'm super excited to hear them!

·
Registered
574 Posts
What's the scoop on the brand new Tekton Dynamites? Is there a thread dedicated to different models? I can't seem to find a generic "Tekton owners thread" like there are for many brands.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Interesting thread just got to hear the DI SE yesterday was not impressed in the least
Care to elaborate on you felt was lacking?

·
Registered
316 Posts
bloated on the low end and fatiguing up high as well as being aesthetically terrible
I can agree that they look plain, but the bloated bass and fatiguing highs are experiences myself and many reviewers have never had, perhaps room or electronics?

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
I can agree that they look plain, but the bloated bass and fatiguing highs are experiences myself and many reviewers have never had, perhaps room or electronics?
To be fair I can't think of a single speaker, or sub for that matter, that some AVS members haven't disliked for some reason.

I've never heard Tektons and the one AVS member I recommended them too was very happy with them despite not liking the very widely praised Ascend Sierra 2s.

I recommended them to him after he found the Ascends lacking in "impact" for want of a better term. :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well anything is possible however I am doubtful I have heard a few sets of speakers in the room I was at and these were by FAR the most fatiguing and the fire engine red certainly did not help NOT to mention they were BRAND new and wired OUT OF PHASE from the factory shoddy QC

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hello Everyone
I currently own DI and been using them for the last 7 months or so. Now I am looking to upgrade to the Ulfberht. I have been trying to see any owner impressions when compared to DI and I could not find any. Are there any Ulfberht owners who can provide some thoughts on it. My room is 24ft wide so I am looking to have the Ulfs around 8 ft apart. The listening position is around 12ft and the height of the room is 20ft. The DIs are positioned around 7ft apart and they sounds really good. With the Ulfs though, as they are bigger than DI, I would like to have them spread little wider than the DI. So any thoughts on that based on your experience with Ulfs will help as well.

Thank you in advance with your help with this.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hello Everyone
I currently own DI and been using them for the last 7 months or so. Now I am looking to upgrade to the Ulfberht. I have been trying to see any owner impressions when compared to DI and I could not find any. Are there any Ulfberht owners who can provide some thoughts on it. My room is 24ft wide so I am looking to have the Ulfs around 8 ft apart. The listening position is around 12ft and the height of the room is 20ft. The DIs are positioned around 7ft apart and they sounds really good. With the Ulfs though, as they are bigger than DI, I would like to have them spread little wider than the DI. So any thoughts on that based on your experience with Ulfs will help as well.

Thank you in advance with your help with this.
If you have the money then go for it,

If you simply have an upgrade itch, its tough to get a BIG difference when you dabble in high quality products. You could be throwing a lot of money for a small increase in performance.

Reactions: leecreek

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you have the money then go for it,

If you simply have an upgrade itch, its tough to get a BIG difference when you dabble in high quality products. You could be throwing a lot of money for a small increase in performance.
Thank you for your response. I am in a situation wherein upgrading will save me some money :) I am primarily more concerned about the positioning. Whether it will work with close to 10ft between speakers. Currently the DI are in their sweet spot at 7ft apart. They sound really good but with the Ulf it will be hard to keep it at 7ft so was wondering thoughts from users. Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Thank you for your response. I am in a situation wherein upgrading will save me some money :) I am primarily more concerned about the positioning. Whether it will work with close to 10ft between speakers. Currently the DI are in their sweet spot at 7ft apart. They sound really good but with the Ulf it will be hard to keep it at 7ft so was wondering thoughts from users. Thanks again for your response.

Have you considered the new Moab? It sits between the DI’s and the Ulfs, and, by Eric’s own admission, is very close in performance to the Ulfs. At $4500, it’s really not unreasonable for the performance it could offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

901 - 920 of 975 Posts